The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:32:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 AM Transmitter Rally Feb 11th-12th - Announcement and Discussion  (Read 13168 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 19, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »

Announcing the 2012
Amplitude Modulation Transmitter Rally
Contest and Operating Event

On the HF Amateur Bands (160meters to 10 meters)

Date:Saturday, February 11th 6:00AM EST to

Sunday, February 12th 11:00PM PST (2:00 AM EST Monday, 2/13)

Sponsored by:
AMFONE.Net (www.amfone.net)Your definitive source for everything related to AM.
Radio Engineering Associates (www.radioassociates.com) Equipment and services for the professional and radio amateur.  

The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on theAmateur Radio Bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in usetoday. This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), and any type of equipment may be used.

Commonly used AM Frequencies: 160 Meters:1880-1885, 1930, 1945, 1975-1995. 80 Meters: 3730-3740, 3870-3885.  40 Meters: 7160,7280-7295.  20 Meters: 14286. 15 Meters: 21425  10 Meters: 29000-29200.

These commonly used frequencies can be good starting points. As activity grows, expand to other frequencies to prevent congestion and excessively large round tables.  As always, PLEASE be considerate of existing QSOs and Nets, and ensure that the frequency is clear before calling "CQ, the A.M. Transmitter Rally".

Points are to be awarded as follows:

a) 1 point for each station worked a specific band. If you work the same station on more than one band, you get 1 point for each band.
 b) 1 point for each state, country or Canadian Province worked. Note: Both you and the station with whom you are QSOing must be using AM.

Logging: Note, the log format is the same as last year's event! We also have free logging software (see below).

The following information must be included in your log for each contact to be counted:

Time (local), Frequency, Call Sign, First Name, Their Location (city, state, country), Their Equipment.

Log Format: Each item should appear in a separate column, and in the column order shown below:

Logging Notes:
The CAT: line is the station category (a-g), and should be included in thefirst column (somewhere) if the station is to be entered in a particular category. Example: CAT:A (see list of categories, below)

Logging States and Countries: The "State/Province" log column must contain the 2 letter state or Canadian province code unless the country is not Canada or the US. In these instances, the 2 letter country code must be entered in the "Country" column. We use software that reads the logs, and will look for 2 letter state and country codes, and add them into your score.

Easiest way to log! Free, simple logging software: We have created a free, simple to use logging program to facilitate logging for the A.M.T.R. and, if you wish, it will automatically upload your log to our logging server. This program will be available for free download 7 days before the event.
See www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

Using Excel for logging: Template logs are here:www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.xls(excel)
www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.csv(csv).

Any program that can generate a comma separated values file in the order shown in the logging example may be used.

Also Please let us know about anything outstanding, unusual or unique you hear.

A description of your station equipment, power and any other interesting features should also be included as part of your submission along with your mailing and email addresses. Pictures may also be emailed to us. If at all possible, please use electronic submission of logs using our Logging program, Excel or CSV(comma separated values) formats.

Email Excel or CSV logs to: amtr@radioassociates.com

If you do not own, or cannot use a computer, paper logs may be mailed to:

Radio Engineering Associates
AMTRLogging
79 Tyler Road
Townsend, MA 01469

Recognition will be givenfor the following areas:

1) Overall highest points:1st,2nd and 3rd place (all scores will be published)

2) Highest points in each ofthe following categories for stations as follows (all scores will be published):
   a) Using a classic commercial AM Amateur transmitter(KW1, Desk KW, Collins 32V3, DX-100, etc.)
   b) Using a converted AM Broadcast Transmitter.
   c) Using a military transmitter.
   d) Using a home built vacuum tube transmitter (vacuumtubes in the RF amplifier and modulator).
   e) Using a home built solid state transmitter.
   f) Using a low level transmitter and linear amplifier.
   g) Using anything not covered by the above.

Note: Recognition will be given to stations that show up in many other folks' logs, even if these operators did not send in a log themselves. This is to emphasize the spirit and importance of operating during the event, even if one is not actively participating in the "contest".

In addition to points, recognitions will be made on an ad-hoc basis, depending on the specific situation.

Examples of these are:
 a) Unusually good operating practices, facilitating contacts, etc.
 b) Very unusual or unique equipment
 c) Most clip leads in thet ransmitter
 d) Most hum or incidental FM
 e) Longest transmission heard
 f) Highest weight to powerratio
Etc, etc, etc.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

If you can help publicize this event, please do!

I have already put it up on QRZ, but can't figure out how to get into the ARRL Contest Corral.

There are a number of pointers available:

HTML:  http://www.classeradio.com/amtr_2012.htm

PDF:  http://www.classeradio.com/amtr_2012.pdf

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »

The logging software is available now!  If you want to try it out and see if any, er, anomalies (AKA Bugs!) can be found, check out:

http://www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

Feel free to upload test logs, etc. as you are testing and getting to know the logging program.  All test logs will be removed once the event begins, making ready for the real logs when they are uploaded to the logging server.

As always, please report any problems, if you have a question or would like a feature.  I can't guarantee I'll get it in, but if it's reasonable and I have time, your request may very make it into the software.  Lots of other have!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »

Steve,
What weekend is the Flea market???
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

Must be the first weekend didn't work out well the last two years? Bad attendance or conflicts?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »

Must be the first weekend didn't work out well the last two years? Bad attendance or conflicts?

Hi Todd, it just worked out this year that the 11th was good  Cheesy   There is something pretty big (event-wise) on the 4th, but off hand I don't remember what it is!!  Last year we had over 500 stations involved, and a lot of logs sent in, too!  I think we were on the "Classic Exchange" weekend last time, too - we are this time as well, and that helps both events.

The Marlboro flea is the following weekend (the 18th).

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

I seeeeeeee. The old 'if it ain't broke, fix it anyway' approach!  Grin  Hopefully it won't interfere with the Classic Exchange event. I sorta looked at that as another opportunity to promote AM a bit, like having the HMR separately in December.

Good luck with it, hope it does well on the new weekend.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »

I seeeeeeee. The old 'if it ain't broke, fix it anyway' approach!  Grin  Hopefully it won't interfere with the Classic Exchange event. I sorta looked at that as another opportunity to promote AM a bit, like having the HMR separately in December.

Good luck with it, hope it does well on the new weekend.
I think it helped last time having both events overlap (the CX is only one day).  It got a lot of people out of the woodwork.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »

Rough weekend! CQ WW RTTY WPX along with the Louisiana and New Hampshire QSO parties are also that weekend  Roll Eyes

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

Rough weekend! CQ WW RTTY WPX along with the Louisiana and New Hampshire QSO parties are also that weekend  Roll Eyes

The weekend of the 4th was even worse  Wink with a Ten-Ten event among local QSO parties and many others.  As I recall, this is similar to the events on the same weekend last year, and we had more than 500 stations logged, and 40-some (I forget the exact number) folks sent in logs.  It was a very nice showing for AM !!

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »

i think i'll stick to 75 and 40 meters, probably run the ft-901 and amp on 75 and the icom 718 on 40 with the same amp. might try 20 during daylight hours, too. on 40 i'll probably be around 7180-7200.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »

I think we can steer clear of the RTTY.   Smiley

With propagation better on the high bands, we should see activity 160-10 meters. I wonder if anyone will makes some contacts on 6 or 2 meters?

Thanks for setting all this up Steve.

Rough weekend! CQ WW RTTY WPX along with the Louisiana and New Hampshire QSO parties are also that weekend  Roll Eyes

The weekend of the 4th was even worse  Wink with a Ten-Ten event among local QSO parties and many others.  As I recall, this is similar to the events on the same weekend last year, and we had more than 500 stations logged, and 40-some (I forget the exact number) folks sent in logs.  It was a very nice showing for AM !!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »

I agree--thanks Steve--the problem that might happen with RTTY is the digital RTTY (I thought RTTY always was digital but what I am referring to is the IBOC sounding stuff) like the guys on 3710 who cause me to move from 3705 down to 3700.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

I think that's SSTV.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »

Geesh!  I already got a bug report (THANK YOU (truely)).

Anyway, I have corrected it....and version 1.1.6 is available.

The main problem was that sometimes when entering a call into an EMPTY database, it would report a duplication.  Also, data sorts were affected.

So, please get the newest version  Cool

Check:  http://www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm for more info!

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 01:11:59 AM »

Steve, the PDF would not open in the help file...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 01:16:02 AM »

Steve, the PDF would not open in the help file...
Hmmmm... tell me more... what happens?  Also, what operating system are you using?

The program will create a file amtrhelp_running.pdf and place it in the same folder as the executable program file itself (amtrlog.exe).    It would be useful to know if the file was properly created, its size in bytes, and if you can open the file directly with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks and Regards,  Steve

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »

I clicked on "help" on the program looking for directions . the PDF skin opened but a statement came up that the file would not open or words to that effect...

Using Win 7 ultimate, 32 bit...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 01:40:04 AM »

I clicked on "help" on the program looking for directions . the PDF skin opened but a statement came up that the file would not open or words to that effect...

Using Win 7 ultimate...

Ok, thanks!  If you have the exact error text, that would be useful, and also what version of Acrobat (it can be found under Help, then About Acrobat Reader - at least on mine its like that).  Can Acrobat open the help file (amtrhelp_running.pdf) directly, rather than if it is started by the logging program?  I'm trying to find out if there is something anomalous about the PDF, or if there is some other issue.  The created PDF file size may also be useful, if you can get it.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »

Version 1.1.7 has been released, and corrects a problem where the date field may not display under Windows 7.

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »

Steve,

Sorry, I pooped out last night it had been a tough day and was just trying to see if I could get a quick handle on the logging sw before hitting the sack.

As for additional info on my problem, I wish I could have been more explicit but I'm not completely confuser literate, just enough to barely get by...

I'll try downloading the latest version and get back later  today when family is not pressing the local issues...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »

Ok Ralph, let me know about Adobe and the file size and all ...

Here is a link to the help file, and this should be readable directly:

http://www.classeradio.com/amtrhelp.pdf

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

The only thing I could get is the following on the PDF sw I'm using
here;  PDF Complete, Special Edition, 3.5.112

As for your request for "file size", no idea...

Oh yes, the link you gave me produced the help file fine, now to digest it Cheesy Grin

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »

Hi Ralph,

Ahhh - ok, that's good info... PDF Complete is not actually an Adobe product. I attempted to see how old that particular version is, and there is no release information available...although there is a newer version out there!  I created this with the latest version of Microsoft Office (2010) (saved-as PDF), and there may be an incompatibility with the version of PDF Complete you have and what MS generates.  But, the web browsers generally contain a PDF viewer which is fairly compatible with just about anything out there.

Regards,

Steve

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 04:12:58 PM »

My son (Ralph III) put this quad core machine together for me and
he is at work some place in the sky (United Airlines out of Chicago)
so is not available at this time.  I did a quick update check on this
PDF version (3.5.112) and it came back as the latest.

When the kid gets back home, I'll see if he can direct me to the
freebee Adobe PDF version.  For all I know it might be on here now
but too much going on to spend time searching the drive...

I do not have MS Office on here.  Thinking about that, this is where
the PDF Complete came from; OPEN OFFICE... Just trying to keep
the machine within a budgeted build, nothing against MS products
except the price...

Later...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015