The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:36:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indoor Receiving Loop Antenna Suggestions  (Read 22259 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »

I don't see the problem. I click on Search icon: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=search
Put in bc band filter
The thread in question was 1st on the list although there many threads listed because it found anything with "bc", anything with "band", anything with "filter", and anything with any combination of those words in the phrase.
If you want to tighten the list, use quotes around your phrase: i.e. "bc band filter" as shown in the sample. (Same thing you did with Google.) Only four threads came up. If you use Google and the same quoted phrase, you get 1,110 results. You do the math.
You can also use the Advanced Search to further limit how it searches.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

Geez fellas. I thought hams were supposed to be technically competent. Using the search function yielded the topic below as item number 1.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=29929.0

OK that's the one!!!!
Ellen you can figure out your problem with that thread.
Steve, I typed KE7TRP to begin my search using AMFONE and it never got me to the thread. It showed many other posts by Clark, but not the "BC band filter" title
Clark is a happy camper now.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 09:09:12 PM »

LOL. You guys need to learn how to use the search before P&Ming.   Tongue

The screen capture below is the output from the Advanced Search on this forum, using the keywords bc band filter and the time as the last 30 days. Only two threads come up - this one and the one we were looking for - and it was the top one. It doesn't get any easier than this.

Some other receiving loops discussions we've had here.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=12490.0

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=19022.0

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=27624.0

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=28994.25

* search.png (67.19 KB, 1170x364 - viewed 385 times.)

* searchinput.png (27.71 KB, 575x278 - viewed 383 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »

If you use Google and the same quoted phrase, you get 1,110 results. You do the math.
LOL you need to read my post better you omitted site:amfone.net
  I stand corrected that was the search result.  However, so what--the sought after hit was the first one.  And, many of the other hits are useful.

I see the "advanced search" page or whatever you call it.  How about having a link to it that actually says "advanced search" instead of a dinky meaningless hourglass?  

Where in your search instructions does it say to use quotes for exact phrase searching?  I might correct my previous comment--your search engine is somewhat primitive; your instructions suck.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »

Wow. You're on a roll tonight Rob.

See the link that says Advanced Search?

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=search

* advsearch.png (42.19 KB, 861x312 - viewed 405 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »

No Steve YOU are the one on a roll--go to the main amfone.net page--the one everyone sees and uses...see the absence of anything that says "advanced search?"   I only see the hieroglyphic and meaningless (to the literate) tiny magnifying glass.  OTOH, if you want to insure your search engine isn't used satisfactorily....

The point is that if you have an advanced search and you want people to use it, it does no good to bury it--there should be an "advanced search" clearly placed in a prominent location on the top by the search box that people can find and use.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:12 AM »

Rob, the forum software is what it is, and doesn't lend itself well to customization.  I believe vBulletin is roughly the same (depending upon how you set it up).  There are many forums around that don't have working search functions at all (Antique Radio Forum being one).  For those you need to use Google (site:theforumyouaresearching.com).

Regardless, if you just clikc on the "Search" button with nothing in the search box, the "advanced search" link comes right up.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »

LOL you need to read my post better you omitted site:amfone.net
  I stand corrected that was the search result.  However, so what--the sought after hit was the first one.  And, many of the other hits are useful.

Whatever toots your horn. I think you should continue to use Google if it works for you.

I see the "advanced search" page or whatever you call it.  How about having a link to it that actually says "advanced search" instead of a dinky meaningless hourglass?  

You can't "Advance Search" until you get into the "Search" section after you click the SEARCH icon on the home page. Not everyone requires/desires the need for an "Advance Search"

Where in your search instructions does it say to use quotes for exact phrase searching?  I might correct my previous comment--your search engine is somewhat primitive; your instructions suck.

Right below the Search Field: e.g. Orwell "Animal Farm" -movie
You obviously knew about the quote function, since in your previous thread, you use it in Google: You wrote:google search rules apply.  if you want an exact phrase, enter   site:amfone.net "bc band filter" but since we're already on amfone.net, one only has to enter "bc band filter" in the search field.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:45 AM »

Geez fellas. I thought hams were supposed to be technically competent. Using the search function yielded the topic below as item number 1.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=29929.0

You're right Steve.  Hams are SUPPOSED to be technically compentent!

AMI#1684
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 06:08:23 AM »

Rob, the forum software is what it is, and doesn't lend itself well to customization.  

Okay yes thanks.

You can't "Advance Search" until you get into the "Search" section after you click the SEARCH icon on the home page. Not everyone requires/desires the need for an "Advance Search"

This dispute if you will, came up because someone was looking for a specific item; not just topic mining.  For a specific item, you usually need methods that allow some precision in searching, such as found in advanced search.  

Right below the Search Field: e.g. Orwell "Animal Farm" -movie
You obviously knew about the quote function, since in your previous thread, you use it in Google: You wrote:google search rules apply.  if you want an exact phrase, enter   site:amfone.net "bc band filter" but since we're already on amfone.net, one only has to enter "bc band filter" in the search field.

You still don't get it.  What you say is true, but it is not immediately obvious that this way of searching is possible.
usually word set searches, which have default conditions like boolean or, get a hodgepodge of results, especially if the words are common AM terms and the user has to page through lists of results looking.    Most users probably just put terms in the search box on the main page, fail to find what they are looking for (or get lucky and find it), conclude that's the extent of the search function and quit.  

I'm simply trying to point out that the current user interface is to me, not all that clear.   If it can't be modified, okay whatever.  This isn't worth having a pissing match over.  

p.s. one nice thing about searching this site via google is that you don't have to login to search.

WQ9E

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 07:39:16 AM »

Well, while we are bitching about searching there are times google annoys the hell out of me:

Issue 1:  It always wants to correct you.  For example I recently spent a lot of time looking for some Eldico gear but google always defaults to searching for Eldeco instead and then asks, did you want to search for Eldico instead?  I guess google knows I am from Mississippi and assumes I don't know how to spell Sad

Issue 2:  Even when searching using literals, the search engine also selects close matches and when the close match exceeds what you actually want by a 1,000 to 1 ratio it is just a tad annoying.

I don't use the search function that much on this site but I do use it some and it has never managed to raise my blood pressure.

OK, now I will have some coffee and turn into my usual sweet and loveable self.

Rodger WQ9E
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »

FWIW, I also use Dog Pile every now and then. I don't think that it will put Guggel  out of business, but a little competition helps things along.  Whatt wood the whirl look like if tha hole whirl was Windoze??

Also,  Gary, INR, had a indoor loop that werked ok.

klc

Hating Microsoft since windoze 3.0

What? Me worry?
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:19 AM »

There is a  good one described in the mid-70s ARRL Antenna Handbooks. It consists of a one turn loop, about 5' square mounted on a rotatable wooden frame, using RG-59 and a tuning capacitor.  The one they describe is primarily for 160m, but I built mine years ago and it can be made to work on 80m as well.  Probably on 40m too, if scaled down to reduced size.

The null is very sharp, and might eliminate your local BC problems, as long as the primary signal is not being re-radiated by other near-by objects. On 160m I usually get better reception with the loop than with the full size vertical, but still do better with the beverage in its intended directions.  The advantage I found (have had no local BC interference problems) is improved S/N ratio. When my shack was in the house, I didn't even bother to make it rotatable; just hung it on the wall like a large wall map.
For years I've been using the loop Don describes scaled for 75. It is a tuned loop, tuned for 75 and is pretty deaf elsewhere which is a real plus on some occasions. I built it out of a much later ARRL antenna book so you shouldn't have to scrounge around for the '70's edition. The author is Doug DeMaw.

I know there is a controversy about just how these things work but I can attest that they certainly do work especially for nulling out a local noise source.  
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »

HEYY Ellen,
So how's your head doing???
 I'll have to stick to what Clark had with his overload and images problem and highly suggest a BC band filter to reduce by many dBs your broadcast channels
Keep us informed.
Good luck
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »

Of course everybody knows that the classic indoor antenna was the bedspring and o course the loaded bedspring array.

* Bed SpringArray.jpg (38.19 KB, 400x266 - viewed 377 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »

Of course everybody knows that the classic indoor antenna was the bedspring and o course the loaded bedspring array.

Or if there was one bedroom upstairs and another one on the storey directly below, you could use the lower set of bedsprings for the counterpoise and the upper one for the flat-top, and run the antenna wire up the wall and through the floor, hoping no-one would notice the tiny hole you drilled in the floor.  Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AF9J
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »

Ellen,

The last thing that you need now is to add a preamplifier  - The station is already likely overloading you receiver and generating most of the crud inside your receiver. You need to filter out the loud station first and formost.

Pat

Ummmm, that turned out to be a typo on my part.  I just noticed it like 2 minutes ago.  Oops!   Embarrassed  I actually meant to say that I don't want to use a pre-amp.   That's what I get for not proofreading my post!
WQ9E

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 08:22:30 PM »

The only case where I suggest a preamp is if you have the loop some distance from your receiver.  It will behave mostly as an impedance match between your very low impedance loop and the coax, otherwise attenuation will be very high from the shunt capacity effect of the cable.  The alternative would be to use low capacity coax (like the old automotive type) if you can still find it and I have a feeling the shielding ability of it is poor.  As I recall, the low capacity was achieved by using a spiral wire as the shield.

Neither the coax loop nor my 4 turn loop worked well feeding 25 feet of coax directly but the addition of the homebrew preamp right at the loop woke it up nicely.  You would likely need a shunt trap right at the loop connection point which is  tuned for the most offensive BC station if you need to use a preamp.

Rodger WQ9E
AF9J
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »

Thanks for the links to the filter threads guys!  Smiley  In a nutshell, first and foremost, I intend to try a 4 or 5 turn loop for tomorrow morning's 75m AM swap net.  If that doesn't cut it, then it will be filter time.  I think the HQ-129X will be a nice match for my Viking II.  
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 07:26:55 AM »

Lots of ideas in this thread. loops are fun to build and give a great solution to noise.

I have used preamps on broadband single turn coax loops with limited gain to get them up to the RX level of a normal dipole mostly for A-B switching convenience that gaining much in terms of signal to noise, and yes, these are usually outdoor types and they are pretty big. That said, I will take a bad beverage over a good loop.

Indoors I would use a high Q tuned loop with good balance and Faraday shielding - on the main loop as well as on the feed loop if it uses one.  Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015