The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:35:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow here !  (Read 11684 times)
WA3VJB
« on: January 09, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »

Hasn't snowed since LAST winter, really.
So no wonder people were spinning out or else driving 30 below the speed limit on WET roads.

Regular blizzard, this one.
Two inches on grass & leaves.

Caught a snow flake, lower right.  Looks like a diamond earring.

* IMAG0594'.jpg (2983.49 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 366 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

keep it. I don't want to get my new Ariens dirty.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

Ariens................ Hmmmmm...............
You mean MTD? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2JRO

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »

Ariens................ Hmmmmm...............
You mean MTD? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Grin
Yup... Troy-built too. I'm pretty sure Craftsmen's are MTD's..as are cub cadet.
I think the only major players besides MTD are toro and deere
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »

I use Ford. That li'l knob marked 4X4 works great!
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »

Sears does sell some MTD products. However, Craftsman yard and garden tractors are made by American Yard Products. A.Y.P. also makes Huskvarna. Both are excellant machines.   Wink Wink

Mike

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »

I saw MTDs at home cheapo. they are junk compared to Ariens. They look alike from 20 feet but MTD controls are sloppy. Shoot was plastic and looked like it could rip off easily.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »

I saw MTDs at home cheapo. they are junk compared to Ariens. They look alike from 20 feet but MTD controls are sloppy. Shoot was plastic and looked like it could rip off easily.

Agreed, most of MTDs stuff is low-rent and engineered for production costs but.........
If you go over to MTD's parts site and look up snow throwers (mtdparts.com), when you click on snow blowers and expand the brand choices you will find Ariens, as well as Cub Cadet, and quite a few other popular brands.

I just ordered some replacement parts for my cheapo "Yard Machines" blower and some of them came in a sealed baggie with "Cub Cadet" all over it and the Cub Cadet part numba was the exact same as the MTD part numba for my Home Cheapo special.
there is only a very small few American companies that make outdoor power equipment any more amd MTD is the mega-major player. (unfortunately)

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »

We had snow on the Gulf Coast this time last year but no such thing here yet this year.  We are going to be in the 20's before dawn tomorrow but it's clear crisp air and skies.

AMI#1684
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

My new Ariens has a posi rear end. Not sure if it is a 10 bolt or 12 bolt....don't think it is Dana 60.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »

You need one of these! ! ! ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81y9XSQ9Ru0

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4dCZGhtkw&feature=related

DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »

I guess I'll have to fire up my new Poulan 2-stage tomorrow and put an extra hour on it.

The snow is blowing around today so no need to try and plow it today.

Current weather:

Temp - 14F

Heat Index - 14F

WInd - > 20 MPH out of NW

Wind Chill  -2F

Forecasted Wind Chill for next three evenings:  -17F

Hi Temps over next three days: < 20F

I think it's winter, Toto.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W4AAB

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »

Snowing here in southern middle TN. No travel problems. The weather is getting colder.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

Hit 64 here today. Cool
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »

Snow on Mts. Ymmitos and Pentilis on the periphery of Athens yesterday.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »

Sno is al gon. The temperature, at 1030PM, is a balmy 42.

klc

What? Me worry?
ka1bwo

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:34 AM »

Hi All,
No snow here in Preston, Idaho for two months just a crystalized landscape.

* DSC00887.JPG (95.2 KB, 360x480 - viewed 383 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »

Hi All,

Great picture Joe! 
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 05:18:55 PM »

Hi All,

Joe,
What an awesome picture.

I showed Jimmy B. the picture. He asked how you were doing. All is well in EB land.
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ka1bwo

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »

Hi Joe (GMS),
Hope all is well with you and the family. I had fun that Saturday morning walking around at the Dearfield ham fest with you and your wife. Bob good to hear from you and all is well in the Old Salt Mine, I don't miss the office politics. Tell Jimmy Mc Breakfast that I will call him next week. Bob do me a big favor go for breakfast with Jimmy he lives for it!!!  Margie and I are keeping busy always stuff to do. I got a few  shop lights up in the garage so I can try to see what i'm doing. I'm working on my first gun build, I still need to run 240v power to the shack. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo I will post another   
Joe 

* DSC00881.JPG (56.99 KB, 480x360 - viewed 340 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »

is this the my-snow-thrower-is-better-than-your-snow-thower thread?  I was looking for it but didn't know it was on amfone.     Here's my snow thrower on my driveway with my airport in the background with my Lufthansa jet and my control towers and everything.

Oh yeah, and all that is on my 50 x 100 foot lot.  Seriously.

* clearingsnowonmydriveway.jpg (60.53 KB, 580x387 - viewed 325 times.)

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »

Awesome photos Joe. Glad to see you are doing well in Idaho. Maybe we'll hear you on 10 meters soon.

Hi Joe (GMS),
Hope all is well with you and the family. I had fun that Saturday morning walking around at the Dearfield ham fest with you and your wife. Bob good to hear from you and all is well in the Old Salt Mine, I don't miss the office politics. Tell Jimmy Mc Breakfast that I will call him next week. Bob do me a big favor go for breakfast with Jimmy he lives for it!!!  Margie and I are keeping busy always stuff to do. I got a few  shop lights up in the garage so I can try to see what i'm doing. I'm working on my first gun build, I still need to run 240v power to the shack. I'm glad you enjoyed the photo I will post another   
Joe 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »

Light dusting here Thursday night and Friday, first snow of the season.  It didn't amount to much, but it has been cold, not expected to rise above freezing until Sunday, with major wind chill to boot. At least no frozen pipes yet.

I have been spending a lot of time the past few days feeding the wood stove, to maintain at least one truly warm spot in the compound.  At >$900 per refill, can't afford to run the propane fart gas more than just enough to barely keep the chill away, @ between 55° and 60° F.

But the wood stove is worse than the computer for stealing time away from the radio.  In the evening when band condx are at their best and activity is most likely happening, it's awfully tempting to remain comfortably seated in front of the fire rather than trudging out through the cold to the chilly shack.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 07:12:35 PM »

I'm almost in the same fix.  When it gets down into single digits or lower the basement where the shack and work tables are, gets down around 50 to 55 degrees.  I really should insulate it better.  Instead I always load up on hot drinks and sweaters and wool socks.  The tube gear I run now is all happy though--the 3-500s throw off 700 or 800 watts dead carrier.  There's motivation to make long transmissions.   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WQ9E

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »

Wednesday afternoon it was 58 degrees and I was temporarily putting up a 2 meter beam to try out 2m SSB.  24 hours later it was 18 degrees with heavy snow falling, what a rude shock. 

Friday morning it was 11 degrees and I found some 3 foot drifts in the driveway after a windy night.  I plugged the block heater in for the tractor and a few hours later went out to mount the snow thrower on the tractor.  In the process I found a missing bolt on part of the thrower mount and of course I had to take off several other parts to replace it.  In the meantime some of the partially melted snow froze on the transmission linkage so I had to thaw that to get the tractor moving again.  After 30 minutes of clearing it was time to install the blade to finish up but of course it was last in line in the barn behind a mower deck, tiller, and end loader so I had to install and move all of the other stuff to work my way to the blade.  Once again I cursed John Deere for not only putting the hydraulic connectors in a really tight location but also mounting them on a somewhat flexible mount so when you are trying to push a connector into the coupler it moves around, not fun in cold weather.  I clearly am not the always prepared boy scout type but now I am ready for the next snow.

At least our daughter loved the snowstorm but I am looking forward to the rain on Monday which will hopefully melt everything.

* NZ1W0007.JPG (424.96 KB, 933x1400 - viewed 347 times.)

* NZ1W0012.JPG (1075.62 KB, 1600x1131 - viewed 317 times.)

* NZ1W0018.JPG (451.69 KB, 933x1400 - viewed 316 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015