The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Year Begins  (Read 12581 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »

Boy VTP is old. Geez.

I missed that whole 50's era being born in 1957. But I do remember quite a bit of the late 60's.

I do remember being let loose on our family farm during the summer while my mom worked at the phone company. At the farm, as a "city kid" I was introduced to many interesting things beside haymows and farm girls.

1. A whole milk can full of molasses for instance in the cow barn. Does anybody know what this was for?

2. A Stone Boat can be used to carry many things.

3. The farm was modern by poor upstate NY milk farm standards and had two Farmall Tractors but the neighbor Stanley Northup still did everything with horses and this was 1965.

4. Where to store cider so it becomes hard. Where to store salted pork in brine.

5. Eating bread and milk and sugar for breakfast.

6. On the farm, children were encouraged to socialize this animal when it is young but to not disturb the older ones. And are told to not interact socially with a second farm animal for fear of becoming too attached to this intelligent animal. What are the two animals?

6. Scalding shaving and gutting a whole hog using a giant cauldron of water, a wood fire, tripod and dipping into the 140F water. Then it is shaved with special tools, hung on a tripod, gutted and butchered. Then riding the pile of guts writhing with maggots (on a stoneboat of course) to the place where they are buried.

7. Kids, butcher knives, hachets and live animals - all loose.

8. Removing leeches with matches and cigarettes.

9. Shooting woodchucks from the porch with all manner of rifles.

10. The giant scary PTO belt off the tractor driving the Insulage into the top of the silo.

These are the good old days of AM
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

Here's a test to see if you are old or not:  What do you call the box you put stuff in, to keep it frozen or cold?

1.  Ice box.

2.  Refrigerator.

If you answered 1, you're old.  Be proud; call it an ice box.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

1. A whole milk can full of molasses for instance in the cow barn. Does anybody know what this was for?

Winter feed augmentation.

10. The giant scary PTO belt off the tractor driving the Insulage into the top of the silo.

The term is "silage".

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KD0HUX

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 05:25:27 PM »

Here's a test to see if you are old or not:  What do you call the box you put stuff in, to keep it frozen or cold?

1.  Ice box.

2.  Refrigerator.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
w1vtp

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »

1.  Ice box.

2.  Refrigerator.

Oh yeah, we had one of those ice boxes.  Eddy Ice company of Rutland Vt used to freeze the water into ice.  It was a fascinating place.  The evaporator was outside right at the entrance.  It used ammonia as a refrigerant and that smell was always around.  The ice as made  by pouring the water in a bunch of  water proof boxes and then the center had a probe inserted into it along with the cover. The outside was cooled along with that probe.  After the freezing process was completed the ice block was released, removed and stored.  My Old Man used to back the pickup up and grab 1/2 an ice block. Don't remember how long it would last.  One of my childhood memories that never was forgotten

We drank raw milk - I used to walk up to the farm with some glass quart bottle to get the milk.  Being stored in an ice box which really never did get down to the right temperature almost always turned - we drank it anyways.  Never hurt me a bit.  I know what real turned milk tastes like - the stuff we drink nowadays doesn't taste anything like that. Don't know what they are putting into milk these days

Memories, Al
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

6. Scalding shaving and gutting a whole hog using a giant cauldron of water, a wood fire, tripod and dipping into the 140F water. Then it is shaved with special tools, hung on a tripod, gutted and butchered. Then riding the pile of guts writhing with maggots (on a stoneboat of course) to the place where they are buried.

Did you ever hear the expression that something would "stink a buzzard off a gut wagon"?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »

only one hear daily when I ask what's for dinner!

We are goint to have fryed farts and pickled asshole's!!!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »

We are goint to have fryed farts and pickled asshole's!!!

Please remind me to politely decline if you ever invite me over for dinner................
 Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »

Yep they added the molasses to the feed especially for the young cows in the winter time.

In northern NY Silage is called Insulage - no idea why.

The animal that they wanted kids to work with were calves and heifers, so that they would be used to human interaction and become gentle but they sure did not want us to disturb or mess with the milking cows.

Pigs are the smart animals and the ones with the most personality on the farm. A bond here could become too strong for children come harvest time - farm ethics!

Dunno why I remember this stuff...

These are the good old days of AM
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »

Insulage...whaddya know.

Everybody in West Virginia calls green bell peppers "Mangoes".

Go figger....

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015