The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC-300 with image problem?  (Read 1796 times)
kc4cnk

« on: January 04, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »

I have a NC-300 i'm working on for a friend. The problem is that it is receiving an image from 160khz down the band from where your listening. When operating on 3.885 you can also hear whoever is operating on 3.725. An alignment didn't help much. I noticed from the alignment that you are suppose to set you signal gen 160 up from whatever freq you determine they crystal filter is operating for the IF. I did that and noticed the the adjustment of L2b wasn't very defined however it did null. I am suspicious of the c12 62pf maybe bad or maybe c11 or c15 which are also located in the T3 IF can. Does that seem right. Any other ideas as to why it doesn't surpress the signals from 160khz down the band.

Thanks
Paul
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

Some ideas:

1...Someone was in there before you.
2...Something in the front end is ringing or overloaded.
3...The first IF has a defective component.

Just hints, not as prescription Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »

I am going to state the obvious to some, but with the NC300, ALmost every cap and probably more then half the resistors are out of spec badly or just simply faulty.  I am sorry but that is the way it is.  If it where mine and I wanted to keep it, Then recap the entire radio and then sit down and check the resistors one tube at a time.  As you complete each section, turn it on and test it. The radio will perform, better and better and better. 

That is a wonderfull reciever that gets a bad rap as the caps and resistors are shot.

As far as the Null, I think it should be sharp. I aligned 3 nationals this year myself, several times each and always got a sharp null.  I suspect the cap also but I am a rookie and there are experts here.

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015