The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:40:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking Ranger, International shipping... sigh.........  (Read 3670 times)
PA4WM

« on: January 04, 2012, 05:35:05 AM »

I would love to own a small AM transmitter, and the Johnson Viking Ranger is one on the list.

Now, in Europe you just won't find them.... or a few maybe.

I check ebay regulary, and found a Ranger with some work on, that would fit my shack perfectly.
I asked the seller about the approximate shipping costs to the Netherlands, Europe.
Pfffew....
He thought it would be close to $275.  Shocked
I'll just do with some pictures then  HI.

The actual bidding is closed, so I'm not interfering the seller or buyer with this subject now.
I didn't bid though, I'm still shocked  Wink

Martin

PA4WM / WM2J
K7EDL
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »

I am sure with a little research you can get the cost down from there. You would have to find someone on this side who was willing to work with you on the transaction.
Eric.
G3UUR

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »

I would love to own a small AM transmitter, and the Johnson Viking Ranger is one on the list.

Now, in Europe you just won't find them.... or a few maybe.

Hi Martin,

There are,indeed, a few Johnson Rangers in Europe. Most were brought over by American servicemen during the '60s, and ended up being left here after they were posted back to the States. I have found 3 here in the UK over the last 25 years and bought 2 of them. I sold my spare one to GW3TMP about 5 years ago. The third one was bought by a friend of mine who had been admiring my Ranger for some years and wanted one of his own.

I know there were more Rangers in Germany than there were here in the UK because American amateurs were allowed to operate from there without restriction from the end of WWII onwards, whereas in the UK they had to wait until reciprocal licensing came along in 1966. Try advertising for a Johnson Ranger in CQ DL, the DARC magaizine.  You might be surprised what turns up!

Happy New Year!

Dave.

Dave,G3UUR
Vintage AM from the East of England
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »

Martin,

You might also find a U.S. amateur with a Ranger looking for a piece of gear available only in Europe.  With both parties motivated to find reasonable shipping it could work out well.

I have purchased a few pieces of gear internationally and the shipping hasn't been horrible.  The Yaesu FR-100B I got from England last year was well under $100 shipping cost.  It isn't as heavy as a Ranger but it is certainly no light weight. 

If you don't mind controlled carrier AM something like a Knight T-150A should weigh a bit less than a Ranger and the controlled carrier rigs are a better match for most amplifiers which were designed mostly with SSB in mind.

Rodger WQ9E
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »

There are many US servicemen serving throughout Europe (including embassies and consulates and all have access thru the USPS APO system. This means that the shipping from the US is no more than what it is calculated for NYC from the shippers PO.

My son and I ship a lot of light and heavy parcels thru his APO in Germany.

Carl
PA4WM

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »

Thank you all for your thoughts.

As mentioned, if I would do some more research, I could probably find shipping at a more reasonable price.
With ebay, when the bidding is close to an end, there is just not enough time to sort the shipping out.

Through the APO system would work. I used to be in the Royal Dutch Navy, and we used a similar system.

I might give it a try in the German amateur radio magazine. That is not a bad idea.
Or through the AMfone.net board. I'll keep my eyes open Wink
In 1998 I was at the Daytom Hamvention. I wish I had took some gear then. The only thing I brought back was a D-104 Smiley

Don't get me wrong, it's not a complaint. I was just suprissed by the high shipping costs...

Martin

PA4WM / WM2J
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »

I've been dealing with it as well, Martin. In my case, it's a Murphy B40D and accessories. The receiver alone weighs 100 pounds. No more surface shipping unless you're buying container size space.

How is the homebrew transmitter coming along? Jean mentioned a while back that you were building one. Hope to hear it on 80m soon.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »

Martin,
Shipping cost are just astronomical.

Last year I bought a 1940 vintage AVO test oscillator, about the size of a shoe box,  from a fellow in the UK for about $25.  He quoted a very reasonable shipping fee for UK Surface Post.  When he went to mail it, the rates had changed.  It ended up costing me about $90, shipped the slowest cheapest way, with a month in transit.

I will treasure this AVO forever!   Smiley

Bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015