The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WA7LYO Greg Mijal - SK  (Read 4039 times)
KC4VWU

« on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »

Sadly, I must pass on the information I received the other day from Greg's XYL that he passed away on the 19th of last month. For all that knew Greg, he attended many of the local hamfest's and was also a regular on many of the reflectors; including Heathkit and Boatanchors. Greg served in the military during the late '60's, early '70's and was very familiar with mil surplus gear. At any gathering, his recollections and stories would keep all who listened either informed or amused; no one walked away empty handed. A true "Ham", but also a true friend; he will be greatly missed.

Phil KC4VWU

WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »

I am very sorry to hear about Greg's passing.  He was a regular on several of the reflectors and I corresponded with him about several restoration questions over the years.

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »

This is dreadful.  Another vintage signal gone dark.  I am sorry to read this news.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W4AAB

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »

I have done some trading with Greg in years past. I met up with him on the "Glowbugs" reflector. Seems like just a few years ago that he moved to North Carolina. Pass along my condolences, Phil.
                                                       Joe W4AAB
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »

I'm floored by this news, Phil. I know Greg had been sick a few times recently, but had no idea it was anything serious. He'd sold off a bunch of his gear in recent months.

Like Rodger, I first knew Greg many years ago through email lists, while he was still in "sunny Feenix" as he called it. After moving south, I finally got the chance to meet him at Shelby a few years back along with you and Mike, since he had moved here prior to me. Worked him a few times on the air, I think with either his ART-13 or a Valiant.

Jen got to meet him last year when he came through on his way up to see you guys. He shared a lot of interesting stories with us, including his time roaming the aircraft graveyards in AZ as a kid, along with more info about his time training the Montangards during his time in Viet Nam. He sure was a fountain of information on the old mil gear, particularly sets like the GRC-9, GRC-109 and others he used in the service of our country. Was looking forward to the next 'fest where I'd get to see him.

He will be greatly missed. I suppose it should come as less of a shock as we're all getting older, but it's still terrible to lose someone like Greg. Wish we'd known of his passing so we could've paid our respects, but knowing Greg, he'd have preferred to leave quietly.

I hope Marty was there to greet him at the Pearly Gates.

* WA7LYO.JPG (329.75 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 435 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5MO
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

Ah, that's really bad news.....

Greg was around a long time on the Boatanchor and Glowbugs forums and a regular at the 'fests here in NC since his relocation.

I'm really sorry to hear this news.

John K5MO
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »

I didn't know Greg, and not sure I ever worked him, but still saddened to hear the news.

Man! Members and loved ones within our little radio community have been dropping like flies lately.

It's like finding oneself on a battlefield, wondering if the next bullet won't have "our" name on it.

R.I.P. Greg.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »

I met Greg one time. He was a friend of my brothers.  Greg came by to give me some pointers on one of my projects before he left AZ.  Nice guy.

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015