The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 02:59:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello to all!  (Read 7531 times)
NickHSWL
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

Hello all and Happy New Year!

First of, my name is Nick Hopper and I happened to jump head first into old WWII radios without any prior knowledge.  Actually I get to thank a buddy of mine who convinced me it would be a great addition to my WWII collections.  I had grand ideas of operating this and being able to use it.  But after actually doing some research I found that you can't just buy a radio and operate it willy-nilly.   Grin  So AFTER the purchase of my radio I started into RESEARCHING the requirements.  While spending many hours looking over the internet I came across this wealth of knowledge here on this forum.  I think I get the last laugh as my buddy too made the jump and has been buying up all type of WWII radios including two matching frequency handie-talkies!  It has been a blast learning more about history and about HAM operations.  I wish this was something I would have got myself into years ago.  

The radio I picked up is a radio set SCR-288 (includes the transmitter and receiver BC-474-A).  It came with a battery pack (BA-48, which was dead), mic, head set, the GN-44 Generator with cables to hook it up and the FL-10 filter.  The only thing missing is the telegraph key, antenna and counterpoise.  It also came the the TM 11-250 for this unit.  What info I did find on these units is that they were built for other countries prior to WWII and once we entered the war, this was a stop gap radio until better units were made.  Interesting thing though they were still used throughout the war and used as a training radio back home.  After the war, along with many other types they were picked up by HAM guys to be used.  Some minor modifications were done on the transmitter side and all changes are listed in the manual but shouldn't affect the operation of it. ( I think  Wink ).  This is an AM radio (which doesn't mean much to me at the moment but I'm learning!   Smiley  )  The receiver frequency range is 2,300 to 6,500 kilocycles (Which I believe converts to 2.3 to 6.5 mhz ? )  

So here I am, going to spend a deal of time looking through all the information here on this site and continue to study and eventually get my HAM license.  Also, I'm looking for others that have old military radios and/or clubs in my local area that I may be able to meet with sometime.  I'm located outside of Spokane, WA.  

Thanks!

* SCR288(2).jpg (35.38 KB, 476x358 - viewed 482 times.)

* SCR288(1).jpg (85.01 KB, 785x590 - viewed 410 times.)
K7EDL
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

Nick, Welcome to the Hobby, cool thing about HAM radio is that there is a niche for everyone.  Hope you get licenced soon and can play on the air..

Eric
NickHSWL
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »

Thanks Eric,

I fell a little in over my head at the moment.  So much information out there!!  Me and electronics never really mixed well so I'm very cautious on what I'm doing.  I did find a website on how to build a new battery pack out of the old BA-48s and I successfully completed that task!   Once I get my license my next obstacle to tackle is getting the transmitter operational.  I would like to figure out how to do it without having to use the generator to do it.  It sure would be nice to have some kind of external piece that I can use to plug it in with.  Stuff I will have to learn... Undecided
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »

Nick you said KC not MC as KC is  kilocycles  MC is me
gacycles but it is 2 mhz to 6 mhz  and welcome to the fun world of radio alot of radio out there was used by goverment Collins R-390 Hallicrafters SX-28 Hammarlund SP-600 and others out there but that is few to top of my head!
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »

Hi Nick, welcome!

Military radios are an interesting category within our hobby and I've gotten many hours of airtime out of receivers and transmitters originally made for the armed forces.

There are gatherings on shortwave among licensed radio hobbyists using this type of equipment.
The Military Radio Collectors Group can be heard throughout the western region:
     - Saturdays: 09:00 (Pacific) - 3985 KHz AM

And here in the East there's:
The Old Military Radio Net
      - Saturdays: 05:00 Eastern - 3885 KHz AM

You could monitor it from your area,  if you were to use one of the streaming audio internet receiver sites that has nodes within the coverage area.  I recommend registering (free) for globaltuners.com, learn how to navigate the site and the receiver interface (a "virtual front panel.")

For that matter, if you don't presently have a working shortwave receiver, you could use one of the nodes in the western region to pick up the group nearest you.

Receiving for the meantime might provide a nice ramp-up as you work on your radios and eventually join us on the air when you get your license.

Some more info, links, and snapshots:
http://www.mrca.ar88.net/

NickHSWL
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »

Thanks WA3VJB for the info.  I have the battery pack built so I can listen with this radio  Grin.  I will have to give it a try.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »

Welcome aboard Nick! 

You have a jewel in that collection.  It will be a great motivator in preparing for you license and later on.   

73, Bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KC4ALF

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »

Howdy.

Green Radios. Lov'em!! You have a peach there. I am putting the finishing touches on my TCS-12 and hope to get much play.

Enjoy.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »

Cool radio. Work DX and get my New Years resolution to exercise!
Welcome Nick

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
NickHSWL
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 09:31:10 PM »

Well, tried bringing the radio on to receive but it just went out.  Pulled it out to investigate and think I may have a problem.... Angry  Will try to investigate but may have to find someone else more qualified then me.  All I see is a big ol' jumbled mess of wires and one big daunting task....
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 10:54:35 PM »

That's one of those old crank-powered sets. I like them but don't like cranking for an hour at a time.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
NickHSWL
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:57:02 AM »

Yes, crank power to transmit but has a battery pack for receiving power. 
KA2DZT

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 01:02:01 AM »

Nick,

Welcome to the AM Forum.

Nice set you have.  Good for keeping the electric bill down.  Not sure, but I think that was a two man station.  One to crank the generator and one to operate the set.

Hope you'll get some help with repairing the set.  Hope to someday hear you on 75M with that  military station, but since I'm on the east coast you'll probably need a bigger set.

Again welcome,

Fred
K3ZS

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »

I ran across the "Moose and Squirrel Net" on 60M.   It is military radio oriented, not AM of course.   Web site is:
http://www.mrca.ar88.net/
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »

HA! Great name for a net.

* mooseandsquirrel.jpg (39.56 KB, 700x350 - viewed 413 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »

I think there was a net by that name many moon ago, too. Or perhaps they moved it to 60m? The ultimate Cold War cartoon....

Nick, welcome aboard. You'll find an immense amount of information in the Tech section as well as answers to pretty much any question related to the workings of AM, aerials, tuners, and whatever else. A good bunch of folks with combined knowledge that exceeds any other site I've seen on the net.

As far as your particular set, you will likely get more specialized help for it on the milsurplus list. If you're not already a member, go to http://mailman.qth.net/, search the List Directory for Milsurplus, and sign up. A great group of folks, many of whom either own or have owned this set up. I know of several in your area who are members of the list.

One AMer in particular comes to mind on this coast: Dale, KW1I used to operate one of these at our hamfest up in NH. Look him up, he'll be more than happy to give you any answers you can't find here.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
NickHSWL
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »

Thank everyone for all the wonderful information.  As I dig deeper into this unit and trace out the wiring on the schematics, I have been finding a few changes from the original wiring.  When it was purchased, it was suppose to have been tested a few years back so I assumed that everything would be good to go.  Well you know what happens when you assume....  Wink  Anyway, I'm having fun learning about it and if it means I'm off the grid for awhile till I get it figured out, so be it. 

Thanks again everyone for the information.

Happy New Year to you all!
K9PNP

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »

Welcome to the group.  That is a good looking radio.  Believe it of not, that was a 'portable' radio of the day.  Should have been classified as 'transportable',  but that's another issue.

I can remember seeing 1 [only] of those years ago sitting in a military warehouse; those were the days that the lack of stripes on the arm would have put me on the generator, not the radio.  Can remember asking around about it since it was old and a radio and, obviously, I was nosey.  Nobody there seemed to know anything about it except that it had been on the inventory books for over 20 years.

It was like a lot of others:  many manufactured; few left now.  Glad you appreciate these.

Get your license and get on the air.  I'm sure there are people here who can help with almost any problem; especially with old equipment.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KL7OF

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »

HA! Great name for a net.
We must keel moose and squirrel!!!!( Boris Badenov )
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »

* mussqrl.wav (61.09 KB - downloaded 160 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015