The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:34:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XYL of Gary K4XK passed away suddenly  (Read 6087 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 03, 2012, 02:44:58 AM »

I don't have all of the details, but Gary K4XK's wife died suddenly within the past day or so.  I got this from Dr. John KN4ME, who lives very near to Gary.

I'll try to find out more, but please keep Gary in your thoughts and prayers.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 03:20:17 AM »

John called me with the news last night. Don't remember the exact details, but she suffered from a brief illness and passed unexpectedly.  They seem to think it was some kind of acute blood-borne malignancy.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:26:29 AM »

There's something about a New Year that brings bad news.  My sincere condolences to Gary.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W4AAB

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »

I e-mailed a ham friend over in Florence, AL. to get more info. I was a house guest of theirs in 2006 when they lived in Ohio. This was during Dayton weekend. I sure hate to hear about his wife passing away.
                                                         Joe W4AAB
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »

What terrible news. Never met Gary but spoke with him many, many times on his big Gates and later a Class E rig if I'm remembering right. He strikes me as one of those guys with a heart of gold. He invited several of us to stay with them in Ohio for Dayton back in 2007, but our schedule didn't permit.

I'm sure his friends nearby will be there for him as much as they can be. Next to losing your child, losing your wife before you go has to be the most devastating loss one can suffer. I keep wondering when the bad news will stop, but I guess it won't. The gift of making more friends via radio is a double edged sword due to the increased opportunity for loss.

Hopefully he'll return to the airwaves.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »

Gary and I went to school together.  I'm shocked to hear this sad news.  Gary is in my thoughts and prayers.  May he have the strength to overcome this.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »

I've talked to Gary many times on 75 meters. I'm sorry to hear about his loss.
W4AAB

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »

I read the obituary in the Florence Times-Daily today, and no mention was made of the arrangements. The obit mentioned her family's names. Not sure if she will be buried in Michigan or not. There is a site where one can leave their condolences. Just Google Obituaries in Florence Times-Daily. Last night's paper mentioned Spry-Williams Funeral Home as handling the arrangements. I will look up their number and call in the morning. Jeff W9GY, I will e-mail to you from work with the info. I first met Gary in 1979 when he first got back active. He was working for Reynolds Aluminum then.I was at his place twice. In 2007, I went with a friend who bought the BC1-H he had in Shinbone, OH.
                                                        Joe W4AAB
W4AAB

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

Just checked <www.sprywilliams.com>. Apparently Nancy is to be cremated. Services listed as TBD(to be determined). The funeral home's number is (256)-764-6401. Will update to W9GY from work(I have e-mail but no internet there :-(.
                                             Joe W4AAB
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »

I am sure sorry to hear of this. There have been disproportionately many illnesses and deaths of late, God bless them all and have mercy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »

Joe, Gary and I went to Michigan Tech in the mid-late 60's.  Spent many an afternoon chatting with him on 75 M from his Shinbone, Ohio  QTH and his FB class E gear.  Gary is a fine gent and I pray that his pain will be eased.  I'll be sure to get this info on the DX-60 net this Sunday.  Jeff

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »

The last time I saw Nancy was in Ohio when John, KN4ME and I stayed over at Gary's during Dayton weekend 2010. One would never have seen this coming less than two years later.

Goes to show that no-one is guaranteed even one more day on this planet. And as John mentioned the other night, many of us are on that page now.

R.I.P. Nancy.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015