The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SP-600 Recapping  (Read 2520 times)
Joe Connor

« on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

I need some advice.

I am about to tackle the RF deck in my SP-600, JX-14. I've read (and re-read) Ray Vasek's excellent article, as well as the Western Historic Radio Museum article. I have Chuck Rippel's remarkable DVD. HOwever, I am looking for advice:

1. My solder sucker cannot reach the 12 connections that I need to unsolder to free up the RF deck. Dare I try to disconnect these wires without a solder sucker? If not, any suggestions on what I should use?

2. I plan to use ceramic discs as replacement caps. Any issue with this?

3. Is there anything else I should watch for or any other tips to make the job easier?

Since I got this set two months ago, I have re-capped the chassis, the IF cans, the T-9 can and the turret. This has gone from a marginally operational set to a sensitive, beautiful sounding receiver. If it sounds this good with 20 black beauties in the RF deck, I will be excited to hear what it sounds like after those caps are replaced. I changed the out-of-spec resistors, although I was surprised to find that fewer than a half dozen were more than 10% out of spec. (Surprisingly, I found that Sears sells the hole plugs for the RF deck). 

As always, thanks for your help.

Joe Connor

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »

1. My solder sucker cannot reach the 12 connections that I need to unsolder to free up the RF deck. Dare I try to disconnect these wires without a solder sucker? If not, any suggestions on what I should use?

There are many types of solder suckers, get one that works or try solderwick and patience. Its never a fun job.

2. I plan to use ceramic discs as replacement caps. Any issue with this?

They worked fine for Hammarlund in later production and thats all I use.

3. Is there anything else I should watch for or any other tips to make the job easier?

Patience and care as its easy to hurt things.

Carl
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:23:31 PM »

I just clip the wires as close to the terminal strip as possible (there should be enough slack when it comes time to re-connect them), then get at it with the solder sucker.  It's MUCH easer to remove the remains this way as you now have two free ends to work with when unraveling it from the terminal strip.  Also you don't run the risk of damaging the wires from the heat.

If you can't get in there with the sucker, use desoldering wick.  In any event be careful not to cause more damage by unsoldering.  If you just can't get the wire remains off without damaging anything, then don't worry about it, just re-solder the old wires on top of the previous connections.  It may not end up as pretty but it's much better than wrecking stuff due to heat.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:52:25 AM »

Once you get it out, there are one or more RF chokes in there, check 'em!   I recapped an RF deck, reinstalled it only to find an open choke (dead HF Osc).  Taking the RF deck out once is plenty!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015