The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:06:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NTSB wants states ban all nonemergency driver cell phone, electronic use devices  (Read 34777 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »

cell phones should weigh about 10lbs or so  like the old brick size phones from 2 decades ago.  Maybe make them hollow state.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w1vtp

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »

I heard about this idiotcracy . Whether or not it becomes law amateur radio MUST be exempt. As much as I have not been too much of a fan of the ARRL it is time to mobilize and let those in power know that any limitation on the use of mobile amateur radio is unacceptable,
De Tim WA1HnyLR

All:

For your reading edification:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/MobileAmateurRadioPolicyStatement.pdf

ARRL has been faced with this issue in the past.  They have written this document as a guide to lawmakers.  Since this newest threat is on the federal level, perhaps the FCC could step in during any law-framing process and come to bat for us.  One thing for sure, we need to make some noise about this - not wait until it becomes law and then say "go ahead, make my day" to the law enforcment people

Al
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

I guess one could ask, what's the difference between a person talking on a cell phone in a car versus a ham talking on his amateur radio mobile rig or tapping out CW with a key strapped to his leg operating his mobile rig. Whether it's cell phone use or mobile radio use (Amateur or whatever), the user's attention is not 100% on operating their vehicle. Maybe 90% or 80% might be good, but do you want to be in this driver's headlights when his/her driving attention span is only 80%.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »

I don't know about making it a law. I agree using common sense is best. But here's my observations:

From personal experience, I KNOW I can be a space-shot when using my cell phone and driving.  Most of the time I am focused on driving, but there are times on the cell when I tune out and barely remember the last few minutes of driving.   I think we 've all been there.

Driving on an open road or highway is not TOO bad - but try using a cellphone while driving thru a crowded parking lot with people walking from behind cars or when crossing through a busy intersection, etc.  When is the last time anyone has said, "hold on - I can't talk for the next 16 seconds cuz there is busy traffic coming up." Not too often I would think.

I stay off the cell phone when driving... period.  It's EZ enuff to pull over if needed.

Many of us think we can multi-task while driving and using a cell phone or even text, but we are all serial-brained creatures and can really do only one thing 100% of the time. I feel 100% is needed for driving. After all, here we are, fallible carbon units using chemical reactions to control a 3,000+ pound  machine moving at god knows what speed. It's surprising there are not more accidents than there are.

Couple that with young folks in a rush, maybe taking a few tokes, music blaring, texting, etc. I don't want someone like that near me.

And this thing about Blue Tooth "hands-free" operation being safer. Pleaassse...  It's nothing to do with holding the phone with one hand. I drive one-handed all the time. It's about the mind's attention being split up. Talking VOX or PTT or holding a phone is all the same.

But mobile amateur radio should be permitted cuz we are vital public servants...  caw mawn  Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 06:57:43 PM »

No way Dave. I like sipping my coffee on the way back from the coffee shop each morning!

Coffee and donuts are known to be bad for the public health. They must be banned comrade.

WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 07:43:30 PM »

I guess one could ask, what's the difference between a person talking on a cell phone in a car versus a ham talking on his amateur radio mobile rig or tapping out CW with a key strapped to his leg operating his mobile rig.

/on soapbox

In my experience, and I've been operating car mobile, motorcycle mobile, aviation mobile, and bicycle mobile since the early 70's, there is a considerable difference. I find my attention is much more disrupted by the cellphone than it is by operating any of the varieties of amateur radio, including mobile cw.

I think there are two things at work. One mechanical, and one cultural.

With a cellphone, either handheld or with a bluetooth earpiece, the audio is generally in one ear and not all that loud. I find that in that case, I have to invest more of my consciousness or attention into listening to hear what is happening and parse the sounds into a conversation. When I'm operating my ham gear, generally I have a speaker filling the vehicle cabin and hear binaurally. Something about that makes it a lot easier to both hear and participate in the conversation without having to pay a lot of attention to it.

Think about standing around having a conversation with your friends. You've always got pretty ample attention left to look around at what is happening in the space where you might be, people watching or whatever without losing the thread of the conversation or being connected to it. Most of us multitask all the time while having conversations, it's the norm.

There are two parts I think to the cultural issue. One is that historically, although it may not be as true for the current youth, a telephone was something that you stepped aside and focused your attention on, shutting out the outside world. Again, it was only in one ear, and not all that loud. How many of us have stood by a phone with a finger in the other ear to block out noises, or shusshed our family members to "be quiet, I'm on the phone".

You invested yourself in a phone call, focused yourself on the person on the far end of the line and consciously blocked out the other things in your environment. We trained ourselves to do that, call after call, and I think we bring some of that habit with us to our use of cellphones. When we're on a phone call, we focus inward on the call, not outward to what's happening externally. That's fine if you're standing in the downstairs hall by the phone on the wall, not so good if you're bopping along at 55 mph in traffic.

The other half of the cultural difference between ham radio operations and cell calls is the content. When I'm talking with friends on the radio, either on 2 meters or 75 AM, it's a casual conversation. My investment in it is low. But when the cellphone rings, it's usually not so casual. It may be my boss, forwarded through from my work phone when I'm away from my desk in the field. Or a family member with an urgent need to communicate, even if it's something simple like "bring home milk". Again, my investment in the call is much higher than it is for a casual conversation on the radio. Who hasn't had a friend buzzarding along on the 2 meter CB and when you get to your destination he's still going along and you just turn it off and walk away to do your business - you'd never do that to someone on a phone call, because the perceived importance of the call is generally much higher.

So in my experience, there is a large difference between cell phone use and ham operation. I noticed it right away when I was issued a cell phone and started having occasion to use it in the car.

The other thing is that I think the hype about how dangerous it is is just that, hype. Here's a study saying that the risks are overblown, and may have very little impact.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/researcher-using-cell-phones-while-driving-not-as-risky-as-previously-thought-64777/

We have 4 times as many phones as we did a decade ago in use, but we don't have 4 times as many car crashes. Can an undisciplined driver get too distracted by the shiny toy and cause an accident - of course, we see it too often. But that same undisciplined driver might have an accident at the same rates without that shiny toy, just be distracted by something else in their environment. It's not the phone, it's the driver.

And I also have issue with folks that say "you need to be 100% focused on driving, both hands on the wheel, or else!". Dude, I'm *never* 100 percent focused on driving. It just doesn't take that much CPU to keep a car between the white lines and stay away from those red lights in front of you. Toss in a little navigation and random collision avoidance, and we're still running 80% idle CPU on your task manager for most folks. So we'll talk to others in the car, or listen to the radio, or day dream, or design new rigs in our head, or whatever, but the idea that we need 100 percent of our capacity to execute the safe pilotage of our vehicle is bogus. *Try* driving without any external stimulus like a radio. Your mind will wander. There just isn't that much to the task of driving (in good conditions) to keep it solidly occupied.

I used to fly a fair bit. While committing aviation, it wasn't unusual to be running or supervising 6 or more radios. Dual nav-comm. Two radios being tuned around to get navigation information, checking bearings on maps, listening to the ID's in cw. While this was going on, I'd be listening to the local area controller to build up a picture in my head of what traffic was moving into and around the area, and simultaneously having an intermittent conversation with the local tower on yet another frequency. Plus managing a transponder, and sometimes dealing with TACAN or GPS or ADF. All of this while hand flying and maintaining course and altitude and speed and watching for random conflicting traffic. It took concentration to handle the communications tasks, and yet even with that level of investment, there was plenty of attention left to deal with managing a vehicle going 2-3 times as fast as a car and moving in 3 dimensions.

Some of the studies I've read have beat their chest about how using a cell phone slows your reaction time "to that of a 75 year old". But then when they quantified that, the numbers showed the truth - it took a healthy 18 year old like 350 milliseconds to react to a stimulus and start braking. It took a cell distracted or 75 year old, 425 milliseconds, a 22% increase!! Lies, damned lies, and statistics. Yes it went up 22 percent. Do you think 75 milliseconds is the difference between life and death? That's 6.6 feet at 60 mph.

So, to conclude my thesis  Grin

I think we pay more attention to a cell phone than we do to a radio, and they should be treated differently by the rules.

I think we could re-engineer cell phones and maybe make some cultural changes to make them more like the radios we're used to so that we would focus less inward on the phone call. I think the cabin speaker bluetooth systems built into some cars are a step in the right direction. I think bluetooth headsets, even though I use one, are not as much of a step because of the single ear hearing.

I think they are playing with the numbers, and looking for control and revenue.

And I think undisciplined drivers have and always will have accidents. We would do better trying to identify them and keep them off the road until they come up to speed. But that would be profiling, can't have that, even if it would be a more effective solution. Not politically correct.

/off soapbox. Thanks for your time.  Wink

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »

With the appropriate exceptions, it's not a bad idea. I'm sure the truck drivers would weigh in on this since a vaque writing of such a ban could include CB as well as amateur radios.

This crap came up before, and as I subscribe to the "ARLI" newsletter/group, I got wind of it. I replied that CB should also be exempt because its part of the trucking safety infrastructure, and that the ARRL could align with the trucking lobbyists and other civillian radio users (business, MURS and GMRS manufacturers, etc) on this one matter to increase the clout factor.

Oh, the high and mighty hams that lead that group came back with the usual puffed up ham anti-CB hogwash and said the ARRL has no business defending CB to the government, which, is NOT a real reply to the statement or suggestion I made.

The pooh-pooh reply also said CB is unlicensed, when, in the FCC's own words, it is "licensed by rule".

Sometimes those ARRL folks are stuck up and twist things. Other times they are straight. They frequently do not want to play nice with others that don't share a narrow borg-minded view and when that happens they make foolish decisions and disregard allies. Forget it.

Geez, if the city decided to outlaw 2-way radios, you bet I would side -with- my CB-using neighbor against it, because we have a common cause - the 'right' to communicate.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »

We had an ordnance proposed here in town (Stephenville, TX) to prohibit all wireless communications devices for mobile use. When that came up in City Council meeting, we had about 18 hams there, several of us spoke on the subject and it ended up with just a texting ban.

That's good to hear because a couple years ago the city of Irving TX proposed such idiocy, and I suggested here in this forum that the town club appoint some members to show up at the meeting (sans vests and radios of course).

This was instantly ridiculed by a person who mocked a club he didn't know (ascribing to them the caricature or stereotype of the evil orange vests, many radios strapped on, and big guts), and was cocksure it was a very bad idea. I don't remember who, its not important and there are no recriminations but to point out that the opinion was expressed very aggressively, which gives us evidence that the bad vision or bad opinion of ham clubs is out there, perhaps more prevalent in the ham ranks themselves than expected.

Your post shows it was a great idea, and seconds the evidence from Irving that it was a great idea, and worked.

The point is that it is a great idea for a club to properly show up and argue against such fascism.

So, did they have orange vests and six radios strapped on? I would guess no. Good job on squashing the city's idiocy.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »

As a night dispatcher of a large towtruck fleet (60 plus), I wonder how my company will be affected.  We use VHF-FM radio only occasionally now.  The company expanded beyond the range of those (simplex) to 4 yards across south Louisiana.  Our main method of communication with drivers is now Nextel 2-way "walkie talkie" mode on the Nextel cellphones.

This should be interesting.  Sometimes towtrucks can be considered "emergency" when clearing out a wreck or recovering an overturned vehicle.  I wouldn't classify every call as an emergency however.  Towing someone from their garage to a repair garage is not really an emergency nor is towing off of private property.  Interpretations can vary.

This should be very interesting to watch develop.  HOW are you going to persuade millions of people who are ingrained in the behavior of talking on cellphones while driving to change?

One can't. Any more than the anti-pot or anti-speeding or anti-smoking or anti-alcohol commercials an education have worked.

The only way is to force the issue by means such as bluetooth, where the phone won't do anything but dial 911 if it the car tells it that its moving. In phone software, the bluetooth and GPS is currently able to be turned off by the user to save power, but that may have to change to where every few minutes, the phone listens on BT for the car. GPS is less practical for this since it has to find its location and speed and that takes time and power. There are other wireless 'automotive' protocols that the vehicle could use to accomplish the same thing with the user never knowing how it is done.

Cellphone calls while in a moving vehicle will become the province of the hardware or software hacker.

The main benefit for some people would be peace and quiet on the bus. The system would talk over BT to stop the driver's phone, and this would also stop all the obnoxious calls among the passengers. Not that I care, but my friend uses the bus a lot and reports that there are bling-encrusted ne'er-do-wells that have 2 or 3 phones and use them in loud voices to transmit a constant stream of threats and curses. He thinks they do it to show off their 'juice'. whatever that means, I see only evil clowns. Maybe having "juice" means a mastery of public transportation. ??

Anyway, just like the FCC put their hobnail boot on the linear and scanner industry, they can do it to the cellphone industry and no doubt the automakers will push 'safety' features, like they already do with black boxes that record not only the speed at impact, but steering wheel position and angular velocity, gas and brake pedal actions, etc. The government needs a court order to plug into the car and 'search' the box, but the insurance company agents frequently violate this right of privacy when a destroyed vehicle is in a shop.

Having a cellphone disabled while driving is but the smallest part of the overall scheme of control and surveillance.

K5WLF
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »

Your post shows it was a great idea, and seconds the evidence from Irving that it was a great idea, and worked.

The point is that it is a great idea for a club to properly show up and argue against such fascism.

So, did they have orange vests and six radios strapped on? I would guess no. Good job on squashing the city's idiocy.

Nah, Patrick, there wasn't a single orange vest or HT in sight -- except on the police chief who had his HT on his duty belt. Our club VP is a deputy sheriff, our Sec/Treas was at the time a VFD chief, pres is a former Lions club pres, PIO (me) works at the local university and on local BC radio and in papers a lot publicizing planetarium events and star parties. Most of our club is active, in one way or another, in the community; and, of course, we do the bike races, marathons and all that. Pretty well known and, I think, respected. It worked out well for us.

Kevin, I agree entirely about the difference in cell phone and radio conversations. I will not originate a call on my cell while I'm driving. If I have to dial I pull off the road. I answer calls only grudgingly and won't talk long. "I'm driving, I'll get back to you." Texting is out of the question. No damn way. Pull off to either read or send. Usually ignore until I'm at my destination. If I have a passenger with me, I'll have them handle it for me.

However, I feel very at ease talking on the radio. I think, as you said, part of it is because the received audio surrounds me in the cabin. Another part is knowing that I can easily drop the mic if I need both hands on the wheel, and it won't be damaged. Can't make that guarantee for the iPhone.

Very often on our local 2m repeater, you'll hear, "Stand by, I gotta drive for a minute" or "Back in a minute, I gotta put both hands on the wheel". I think that radio lends itself much better to a more relaxed and less distracting mode of operation. I feel much safer talking on the radio while driving than I do talking on the iPhone. If this NTSB recommendation begins to threaten us, I believe that there's a very clear-cut case for an exemption for amateur radio and also CB.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »

I don't know about making it a law. I agree using common sense is best. But here's my observations:

From personal experience, I KNOW I can be a space-shot when using my cell phone and driving.  Most of the time I am focused on driving, but there are times on the cell when I tune out and barely remember the last few minutes of driving.   I think we 've all been there.

Driving on an open road or highway is not TOO bad - but try using a cellphone while driving thru a crowded parking lot with people walking from behind cars or when crossing through a busy intersection, etc.  When is the last time anyone has said, "hold on - I can't talk for the next 16 seconds cuz there is busy traffic coming up." Not too often I would think.

I stay off the cell phone when driving... period.  It's EZ enuff to pull over if needed.

Many of us think we can multi-task while driving and using a cell phone or even text, but we are all serial-brained creatures and can really do only one thing 100% of the time. I feel 100% is needed for driving. After all, here we are, fallible carbon units using chemical reactions to control a 3,000+ pound  machine moving at god knows what speed. It's surprising there are not more accidents than there are.

Couple that with young folks in a rush, maybe taking a few tokes, music blaring, texting, etc. I don't want someone like that near me.

And this thing about Blue Tooth "hands-free" operation being safer. Pleaassse...  It's nothing to do with holding the phone with one hand. I drive one-handed all the time. It's about the mind's attention being split up. Talking VOX or PTT or holding a phone is all the same.

But mobile amateur radio should be permitted cuz we are vital public servants...  caw mawn  Grin

T

Just yesterday, I was in my F-550 exiting off the highway and a guy in some little car had apparently missed the exit and swooped across 3 lanes from the hammer lane onto the exit median and stopped with the front half of his little car sticking dead into the exit ramp's lane. It was raining lightly and the pavement was wet. I realize an F-550 4x4 flatbed is not -that- big of a truck but compared to a car it is very heavy and has a cast iron 6.4 diesel and a real frame and all the rest of that old-school stuff, and so it does not slow down or change directions very well (and is real bad at trying to do both at the same time) and I hope he filled his britches from both ports when I flew across his bow inches to spare with horn blaring. All I could do was juke it a few inches and lay on the horn. Braking might have meant a loss of control so I did not. If I'd a smacked him, i'da been awful unhappy about the damage to a fairly new $50K truck. As I passed, in horror myself for fear of killing his stupid butt, I saw the chrome on the big fat phone against his ear. I wonder now if he ever saw me. He must have stopped for a reason. His call must have been very important.

* f550.jpg (28.04 KB, 350x146 - viewed 352 times.)

K9PNP

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:23 AM »

There are laws against a lot of things.  Doesn't mean that they do not happen.  Illegal drugs are, obviously, illegal; but I see overdoses and people too impaired to walk, much less drive, regularly.  There is a law here against texting by certain drivers, don't remember specifics off the top of my head.  As far as I can see, nothing has changed.  We still see people who drive like drunks due to texting.  It still could be reckless driving, but don't see that being filed much.  Bottom line:  Laws are fine, but many times they don't change much of what they are supposed to change.

From the political end, how many politicians will risk making the big cell companies mad?  Not many, I think, at state level and above.  Too much money to be had.  And, it's a major election year.

Like WB2EMS [nice call] said:  end of soap box.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 12:30:28 AM »

Several weeks ago when working 10 meters AM, I worked a mobile in England. It was his first 10 meter AM contact in the mobile. As he was talking, his signal suddenly disappeared. It came back several seconds later. He said he almost missed a stop sign and dropped the hand-held mike as he quickly applied his brakes. So hams, at least this one, can get excited, involved, less attentive to driving, etc. when driving and operating a mobile rig at the same time. So how many more are out there on the roads. Do you really think that guy with a 16 pill radio shooting skip to far-away countries, doing 70 miles an hour down the highway and dragging 20,000 pounds of cargo behind him, has a 100% attention span on his driving?

no soap in my box

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 03:08:59 AM »

Several weeks ago when working 10 meters AM, I worked a mobile in England. It was his first 10 meter AM contact in the mobile. As he was talking, his signal suddenly disappeared. It came back several seconds later. He said he almost missed a stop sign and dropped the hand-held mike as he quickly applied his brakes. So hams, at least this one, can get excited, involved, less attentive to driving, etc. when driving and operating a mobile rig at the same time. So how many more are out there on the roads. Do you really think that guy with a 16 pill radio shooting skip to far-away countries, doing 70 miles an hour down the highway and dragging 20,000 pounds of cargo behind him, has a 100% attention span on his driving?

no soap in my box

So what's next?  No more radios/cd players in the vehicles?

AMI#1684
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »

Wow - just saw this discussion!  

Warning: Soapbox alert  Wink

First, it is absolutely unbelievable that anyone (here) would be for this  Tongue Huh

"Distracted Driving" is already against the law.  Let's have have Big Brother outlaw children in the car, and spouses with whom you are having a "discussion" or - oh I know - GPS units, because you have to type in an address - AND - it talks to you.

Better make deer illegal except in fenced preserves,too.  Hmmmmmm... how about hornets/yellow jackets in the car.

FOOD (eating) in the car? Gee I don't ever eat in my car - so I want it made illegal.  Plenty of accidents caused by people eating while driving.  

How about women putting on their makeup while driving?  Yup, better make a law for that, too.  I have actually been in a car while the [woman] driver was applying *EYE* makeup while looking in the rear view (yes, we were under way - she was steering with her knee!).

Arm around the girlfriend? (or for that matter, girlfriends at all in the car!).  Better stop that.

Yes, absolutely - I don't do any of those things so of course they should all be illegal.

CD players?  These should be illegal in cars because people change CDs while driving.  Maybe radios, too.

See the point?

Eventually, they will come for YOU!

This creeping government control over more and more of our individual freedoms is the worst part of big government.

Is there anyone here who is FOR the banning of the 100 watt incandescent bulb?  Lots of talk about stocking up, but what about the law itself??? Who passed this?  Who wrote this?  Who signed this into law?  Is this really a good thing?  NO NO NO.  Let common sense prevail.  We don't need or want the Big Brother nanny controlling more and more of what we [can't] do.

There is a good book out called "Control Freaks".  I have not personally read it, but I do know several people who have, and apparently it is right on the money about this sort of thing.  Maybe I'll pick it up.

Roll Eyes  Ok, the soapbox is now available for the next speaker [writer].

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WQ9E

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:43 AM »

I have no disagreement that there are many "distraction events" in vehicles outside of cell phones.  But these have provided the impetus for additional control both because of the number of devices in usage combined with the potential for virtually continuous distraction.

Prior to the growth of cell phones there were accidents attributable to ham, CB, and other two way radio operators but only a very small percentage of vehicles had a user in one of these groups.  At its peak in the 70s CB appeared huge compared to amateur radio but it was still used only in a fairly small percentage of moving vehicles.  Contrast that to virtually every vehicle having an owner with some sort of cell phone or smart communication device.

Entertainment radios, kids, etc. are distractions but rarely do you continuously interact with these "devices" like you do with a cell phone.  Even traditional two way radio is a series of time sequenced one-way transmissions which is less cognitively taxing than cell or involve more demanding input like texting.

From risk management, once risk outcome (basically probability times cost) becomes sufficiently large actions will be taken to manage the risk and actual/potential accidents at least partly attributable to modern technological devices have reached this threshold.  It is going to be very difficult for amateur radio to separate itself from this regulation.

Of course if it does it will be Christmas in July for the league as the number of new hams skyrockets at a rate that will leave the emcom types in the dust Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »

It is just another government knee JERK reaction so they can say they are in touch and care about people. We surely have enough laws. If they really wanted to address driver distraction, then:

Ban Fast food drive through windows.
Ban broadcast receivers, satellite radio, CD/DVD players, and of course Eight Track players.
Duck tape all passengers mouths shut....or have voice activated ignition shut off.
Ban Farding
Car colors other than black or silver,...pick just one.
Police sitting on side of road with lights on....maybe this should be "Police on road," or "Police in cars."
Ban Billboards
Outlaw driving in rain, snow, fog, or during a full moon.
Ban sex while driving.
Heck, ban driving all together and also save the planet...had to add this as it solves all of the above.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »

As I said at the top - it is an EXCUSE to pull you over, search you and your car (if they want, or don't like ur "attitude"), issue a ticket, and then COLLECT $$$MONEY$$$.

It's a TAX to create revenue. Period.

Look at the $$ that FLOW like water at your local traffic court every WEEK!!
Average fine is $100-300, small towns get 100+ "patrons". That's $10,000 to $30,000 per week! Multiply by 52. That's minimum $520,000/yr in a small town.

One time some years back I was up in a prosperous suburb to pay my road tax, there were more like 1,000 people for traffic court! DO THE NUMBERS!!

And, fwiw, and btw, in NYS "video" or "TV" in the front seat is banned!
But, they sell GPS screens that people pop into the field of view on the windshield all the time, and the "fancy" cars have pop up or in the dash GPS and radio displays.

But they banned "computers" in the front too!

I smell a rat, decomposed, smelly dead rat.

The age of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is gone, to be replaced by the parental state caring for you and telling you what you can an can not do about anything and everything.

Sorry, this stuff in the name of "safety" or in the name of "security" provides neither safety nor security.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »

Heck, ban driving all together and also save the planet...had to add this as it solves all of the above.

Don't laugh - look at some of the proposals put forth in recent months.  That is exactly what is going on.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

As I said at the top - it is an EXCUSE to pull you over, search you and your car (if they want, or don't like ur "attitude"), issue a ticket, and then COLLECT $$$MONEY$$$.

The insurance companies are firmly behind this because the ticket is for "OPERATING WHILE . . .", which means the insurance company gets to charge you a surcharge for (in Massachusetts) 7 years for using your phone.  Follow the money, and usually there is a lawyer, banker or insurance company at the other end.

Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »

Wow, I really see that this has opened up a Pandora's box of comments. What is needed here is common sense.when and when not to use a cell phone in a moving vehicle I have had a cellphone with me when I have driven before and had it go off. Dealing with it was a definite distraction of which I felt very uncomfortable dealing with driving and talking at the same time. I believe that a totally hand free cell system with external antenna on roof as part of the on board vehicles electronic devices should be the only system permitted while in motion. The cellphone audio would emminate from the vehicles speaker system. I am curious what percentage of accidents

have been caused by distraction from cell phone use or texting versus use of mobile ham radio. I have been thinking of a hands free setup in the car where the microphonium is mounted on a flexible goose neck boom like I have in the Caddaverllac.The PTT function could be by a foot switch or a switch mounted in a very accessible place in the drivers cockpit. Any way I am not going to give up my mobile operation because some yahoos decide to lump use of a cellular telephonium and amateur radio into the same category. I will be Henry Nyellar Mobile until the day I crash and burn.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »

The insurance companies are firmly behind this because the ticket is for "OPERATING WHILE . . .", which means the insurance company gets to charge you a surcharge for (in Massachusetts) 7 years for using your phone.  Follow the money, and usually there is a lawyer, banker or insurance company at the other end.

And the same argument can be used for the aforementioned laws already on the books for Distracted Driving.

I'd be in favor of a larger penalty for those causing accidents due to distracted driving along with higher insurance rates. Unfortunately this does nothing to help the poor individuals minding their business who get impacted by the poor choices of the nit wits.

Operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a God-given right. With such privileges come certain restrictions for the good of all. Basically, this is just a further clarification of the laws that already exist, since we live in a society dominated by idiots who put themselves above all else. Common sense isn't all that common these days.

Seems pretty simple: we're being treated like immature children because that's how an increasing number choose to conduct themselves. These same people vote in other idiots who find it easier to create new laws for our benefit since collectively we're not bright enough to conduct ourselves intelligently. No different than when we were kids and a certain few made trouble, so everyone got penalized for it. I mean, c'mon - we keep bank robbers in jail longer than murderers.

It all makes sense, in a warped kinda way....  Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »

as one who drives the highway every day not sitting home.
It is a proven fact the average american is too stupid to drive and use a phone at the same time.
Not about rights it is about public safety
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »

Don't laugh - look at some of the proposals put forth in recent months.  That is exactly what is going on.

Figures released in April show a continuing downward trend in traffic deaths, now reaching low levels not seen since 1949, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation. Nevertheless, over 10 times more people were killed in auto accidents in 2010 than died in the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 or in the 9/11 massacre in 2001.

The Pearl Harbor death toll was 2403, including civilians. The 9/11 death toll was 2,977, excluding the 19 hijackers. The 2010 highway death toll in the US was 32,885, down from a peak high of 54,589 in 1972.

In each case, the year's highway death toll has been roughly a degree of magnitude larger than that of the suicide attack that triggered WW2, or of the one that triggered our current state of perpetual war.

If someone to-day released a new product on the market that caused over 30,000 deaths in the US alone in just the first year, you can be sure it would be immediately recalled and banned, and the people running the company that sold it would likely end up doing prison time, not to mention all the lawsuits that would abound.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/08/travel/traffic-deaths/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »

as one who drives the highway every day not sitting home.
It is a proven fact the average american is too stupid to drive and use a phone at the same time. Not about rights it is about public safety

The shame of it all is that you just have too many idiots out there that cant drive, much less drive while talking on the phone! ! ! It is getting to be a real challenge around here to get to work in the morning and get home in the evening in one piece!
The idiots on 95 are just really starting to become unbearable.

Seldom a day goes by that I dont get cut off by some idiot not paying attention to what he is doing. Many times I have seen them talking on the phone while cutting me off! When you blow the horn at them, they set the phone down to give you the finger!

4 times in my own development I have had near misses on my motorcycle because of a "soccer mom" talking on the phone while she was driving! This is a bit ridiculous that they didn't even hear my loud pipes because they were more interested in the phone.

The gene for common sense is no longer part of the human DNA chain! I guess we can attribute it to evolution!! And most feel that "it is only illegal if you get caught."

As far as laws, rules, and regulations go, they are ALL absolutely worthless unless there is someone to answer to for disobeying them, short, sweet, and simple. Kinda like when I was a kid, I knew that if I screwed up I was going to get the tar beat out of me.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015