The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 06:45:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR on Mac OS 10.x?  (Read 4955 times)
Edward Cain
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:32:07 AM »

Anyone here been able to set up an SDR on a Mac laptop with OS 10.x? I know precious little about interfacing radio with computers, so I can't even speculate on the difficulties that may be involved.
   I vaguely remember that someone was attempting to do this using Softrock hardware.
   I am primarily interested in receive only for use as spectrum display.

Thanks,
Ed
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:14:06 AM »

I don't do Macs...  :-)
So I don't know all the different OS.

But if you're using a softrock there are some choices on a Mac

Google "SDR on Mac OS 10.x"   first of all

Then try "CuteSDR",  "Ghpsdr", "QtRadio",

Honestly don't know all the ones that run on Mac, because I don't really pay attention to those.

The softrock hardware was never the problem, the problem was people wanted the PowerSDR GUI to
run on MACs  ( which it does anyway with one of the windows emulators)

Bruce
kf1z

Edward Cain
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:24:50 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Bruce. I went ahead and ordered the Softrock RX kit. Looks like I'm in for a "learning experience" getting this up and running on my Mac.

Ed
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »

There are a few options. One is to boot into Windows or run Windows in a VM. Booting will be better for performance. Then you can run PowerSDR, Rocky, etc.

If you must stay in OS X, check out the Java work at the link below.

http://javaguifordttsp.blogspot.com/

You may also be able to run some/all of the Linux software (GnuRadio, DttSP, Gqrx, LinRad) via X11 under Mac OS X, although a recompile may be required. Remember, OS X has Unix lurking under the hood.

Edward Cain
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »

Thank you, Steve. I will investigate the JAVA app on your link as time permits. I am really a computer dummy when it comes to anything beyond using ordinary Mac and Windows applications.
   For the time being, I will experiment with an application, DSP Radio, which I downloaded earlier today. This was written for Mac OS and opens with no trouble on my MacBook. It is freeware from Sebastion Mrozek/DL2SDR.
   After I get the SoftRock built, I'll post my success or failure.

Ed
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 01:37:35 PM »

Thank you, Steve. I will investigate the JAVA app on your link as time permits. I am really a computer dummy when it comes to anything beyond using ordinary Mac and Windows applications.
   For the time being, I will experiment with an application, DSP Radio, which I downloaded earlier today. This was written for Mac OS and opens with no trouble on my MacBook. It is freeware from Sebastion Mrozek/DL2SDR.
   After I get the SoftRock built, I'll post my success or failure.

Ed

UNfortunately not many of us are MAC gurus Ed, BUT Steve has been involved with MAC for a very long time.
You will have to take some extra steps to get it up and running.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015