The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:09:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Implanted Medical Devices Will Now Operate on 413-457 MHz (70 cm).  (Read 2853 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »

From the ARRL web site dated 12/1/11 and FCC News:
FCC Grants Secondary Service Allocation to Wireless Broadband Medical Micropower Networks

In their regular meeting on Wednesday, November 30, the four FCC Commissioners unanimously agreed to allocate spectrum and adopt service and technical rules for the utilization of new implanted medical devices that operate on 413-457 MHz (70 cm). These devices will be used on a secondary basis as part of the Medical Data Radiocommunication Service in Part 95 of the FCC rules. The Amateur Radio Service also has a secondary allocation on the 70 cm band. These new rules are the result of a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) that the FCC released in March 2009...

For the rest of the ARRL story, go here: http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-grants-secondary-service-allocation-to-wireless-broadband-medical-micropower-networks

For the FCC News blurb, go here: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1130/DOC-311285A1.pdf

This might bring new meaning to "amateur radio control" if one of your neighbors has one of these implanted devices and you're running some high power on 432 MHz.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

Sounds downright crazy to me. 
K9PNP

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »

If I read it right, these are spread spectrum/frequency hopping units.  Even if they are digital secure in addition, the front end selectivity can't be that good.  May be interesting.  Probably the Texas bunch of advertising attorneys are watching this with interest.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »

This might bring new meaning to "amateur radio control" if one of your neighbors has one of these implanted devices and you're running some high power on 432 MHz.

One more thing to make HAMS (and some ham radio operators too) even more paranoid about getting on the air.

I talked to one the other night on 75.  He was pisweak on AM, running about 25 watts with a ricebox at 2 AM, but he was still too paranoid to turn on his amplifier.  He explained that his neighbors didn't object when he ran full power on slopbucket, but complained whenever he ran even 25w on AM.  He said the problem was audio rectification in computers, stereos, telephones, etc.

I reminded him that the audio section in consumer junk is not supposed to receive radio signals at all. If it does, it is a malfunction of the consumer junk, not the fault of his transmitter, and that although he should try to work with the neighbors to remedy the problem, he should not let that keep him off the air.  In other words, co-operate but operate. But he indicated that would be too much hassle, and that he would just go on operating mostly slopbucket even though he would dearly love to operate more on AM.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »

Hmmmm..I run high power and long antennas on 432 and I look out all over the area. Could make for some interesting occurances  Shocked

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015