The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:52:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting carded -- for buying resistors?  (Read 16282 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

When being asked for an Id for a simple purchase, I do feel like I'm giving up some of my freedom. All I can say about that is "He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it" ! ! ! ! ! ! !  Remember that at voting time! 

Problem is, the majority of people just sheepishly go along with it and accept it without even grumbling after the first couple of times, and think I am the unreasonable one for making an issue of it. As long as the public remains enthralled over sports and celebrity gossip but clueless of what is really happening in the nation and in the world (as reflected by what appears on national and local TV where most people get all their news), things will only get worse.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »

Plus, you don't know if they might be photocopying the card or copying down information from it.  A good way to fall victim to identity theft, or get into someone's data base and/or on another mailing list.

The scary thing about this is the fact that many if not all commercial copy machine have a hard drive in them. There was a story in our local newspaper on how the used copy machines were being sold out of country without the hard drives being cleared. There are companies out there that offer a service just to clear such hard drives.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WA9UDW

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

I strongly resent the loss of freedom to simply walk into a store, pub or restaurant, cash in hand, no "papers" on my person, and make the purchase of my choice without a hassle.

See item #28 here: http://drleonardcoldwell.com/2011/12/03/30-signs-that-the-united-states-of-america-is-being-turned-into-a-giant-prison/

..."the FBI is now instructing store owners to report many new forms of “suspicious activity” to them...
“suspicious activity” now includes the following…

*paying with cash"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »

..."the FBI is now instructing store owners to report many new forms of “suspicious activity” to them...
“suspicious activity” now includes the following…

*paying with cash"  

You will note that one is first on the  list.

#19 In many areas of the United States today, you will be arrested if you do not produce proper identification for the police.  In the old days, “your papers please” was a phrase that was used to use to mock the tyranny of Nazi Germany.  But now all of us are being required to be able to produce “our papers” for law enforcement authorities at any time.  For example, a 21-year-old college student named Samantha Zucker was recently arrested and put in a New York City jail for 36 hours just because she could not produce any identification for police.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/nyregion/dismal-tale-of-arrest-for-tiniest-of-crimes.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:22 AM »

I have been carded more times since I retired than I ever was when I was young enough that there actually could have been some doubt whether or not I was of age.

Same.  It's probably easier to buy crack - and you probably don't have to worry about anyone making change  Cool Cool

I'm told there's a little house down the street and around the corner. If one is there, say, playing cards, and needs a pack of cigarettes (or anything else), there is always someone willing to go get it. The charge is always $3 no matter what it is.

No idea why, but yes, crackheads and/or their minions do carry singles and make change. Not that you'd want to touch that currency unless you are going to wash your hands immediately.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »

#19 In many areas of the United States today, you will be arrested if you do not produce proper identification for the police.  In the old days, “your papers please” was a phrase that was used to use to mock the tyranny of Nazi Germany.  But now all of us are being required to be able to produce “our papers” for law enforcement authorities at any time.  For example, a 21-year-old college student named Samantha Zucker was recently arrested and put in a New York City jail for 36 hours just because she could not produce any identification for police.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/02/nyregion/dismal-tale-of-arrest-for-tiniest-of-crimes.html

Yea and the really sad part is that the dumb asses wont keep the ones that really need to be in there in there! ! ! !  Angry  Angry

There needs to be some sembalence of reason somewhere  Huh  Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 04:50:12 PM »

anyone ever get carded for buying spray paint?  I do occasionally when I go to the Home Despot. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »

Not yet, but I'm sure it's comin! !  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kd7qdu
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

I'm old enough they just push the oldphart button and off I go with my paint in hand.  Unfortunatly it is to fight taggers and Huffers. ( the reason to ID is to keep kids from breathing the stuff and painting buildings with it)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »

""  taggers and Huffers ""

Don't forget the toppings isle for N2O.

klc

What? Me worry?
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »

Anyone care to explain why purchasing resistors requires one to be of age?  Is it the lead content of old non-RoHS devices?   
KE6DF

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

Anyone care to explain why purchasing resistors requires one to be of age?  Is it the lead content of old non-RoHS devices?   

Frankly, I'm guessing someone flagged the wrong SKU in the cash register database by mistake.

That's just a theory.

I found the whole thing kind of amusing.

Next time I buy resistors at Fry's I'll see if I still have the same problem.

Dave

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 09:19:25 PM »

If Fry's is your only option, I pity you.  Next to a funeral, it is the most depressing facility I've ever been in. Cry

Mom & pop only for me. Cheesy

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015