The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:51:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open to EU  (Read 12110 times)
Steve - K4HX
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »

Just talked to Gena, UR5QGC running a home brew transmitter, 200 watts.

Gena is calling CQ now on 29021.   1530Z
n1eu

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

Band was in great shape until broadband noise started obliterating everything around1445Z

It sounded like intentional QRM - very wideband noise source

73, Barry N1EU
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »

I noticed that wide band signal on HB9ASQ. It's the second time. I wonder if he has some "friends."

I made contact with six EU stations this morning, including a mobile in Italy.  Good times.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »

Heard Chcuk K1KW, Dave W2VW, and several others.  There was a lot of fast fading on everyone.  Most were S0-S3 on my crap antenner.

I was using the NBS-1 and HB sync detector; the NBS-1 alone couldn't pull everyone out of the noise but the sync detector held lock even when the signal was under the noise, and seems to have a 3-6 dB advantage over the diode detector in the NBS-1.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
n1eu

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »

I noticed that wide band signal on HB9ASQ. It's the second time. I wonder if he has some "friends."

Yeah, I was in qso with HB9ASQ at the time.  Bob certainly has THE radio voice.  Also amazing how he gets 5Khz wide audio out of an IC735.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 01:07:12 PM »

I was rolling them today on AM. Portugal, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, France, Italy, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Poland, Germany, Greece, Israel (actually someone who use to live in NJ), and last, but not least, W2VW (with the coolest back-scatter audio I have ever heard).

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »

Band was in great shape until broadband noise started obliterating everything around1445Z

It sounded like intentional QRM - very wideband noise source

73, Barry N1EU

It might have been a guy from France running FM. Signal was strong, wide, distorted, and I saw artifacts on both sides of his signal roughly 40 to 50 KHz out.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

You were about S-2 with flutter here in Athens, Pete.  I couldn't hear who you were talking to, probably too close.  I did hear a SV1 on AM earlier today, first Greek AMer I've heard. 

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

Good run. I had the UK, Ukraine, Netherlands, Italy, and Germany. The strongest station was a mobile in Italy! Go figure.

There was some very strong backscatter on some USA signals. I should have made some recordings. Very cool sounding on some.

I was rolling them today on AM. Portugal, England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Finland, Sweden, France, Italy, Austria, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Poland, Germany, Greece, Israel (actually someone who use to live in NJ), and last, but not least, W2VW (with the coolest back-scatter audio I have ever heard).
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »

Good run. I had the UK, Ukraine, Netherlands, Italy, and Germany. The strongest station was a mobile in Italy! Go figure.

There was some very strong backscatter on some USA signals. I should have made some recordings. Very cool sounding on some.

And I wasn't even using a smug rig.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »

It sounded like you were using the CE, Pete?

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »

I've heard you better but you were making it fb. There was some ducting yesterday on top of the regular fun.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tr_map/archive/1eam.jpg

Last time I heard you my beam heading made a large difference. This time it did not. You didn't pick up much when aiming away from Yerp and pointing my way.

I was able to bring up the KQ2H repeater on 29620 with 10 watts early evening. Not the usual situation.

Many folks across the pond and elsewhere are using that repeater as a beacon.

Fun stuff. 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

It sounded like you were using the CE, Pete?

The CE found a new home at Dayton 2011. I was running the Icom 756 PRO II.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015