The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:02:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old photo but not radio  (Read 1525 times)
WQ9E

« on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »

Anyone recognize any of the old structures in the background of this photo?   My wife is the library professor in charge of special collections at the university and she thought I might be able to identify it.  The famous John Sullivan versus Jake Kilrain  fight (last bare knuckle prize fight) took place in Richburg MS but RIchburg was a tiny town and the fight location itself was in the rural piney woods.  It isn't Hattiesburg which was the nearest settlement of any size. 

In later years, apparently Sullivan and Kilrain made some appearances with a circus (which is why this is in the library collection which contains a large amount of vintage circus material) and carnival rides can be seen to the left in the photo.

I know it is a long shot but some of the buildings in the background are fairly unique.  Unfortunately even with a very high res scan and enhancing software little of the text on the buildings is readable.  Behind the Sullivan banner is a partially covered sign which appears to say Air & but the rest is covered, it might be the name of the theatre but google yielded nothing useful.  It is also interesting that a tall board fence has been built along the street side, perhaps as crowd control?

* Circus -Sullivan fight (Custom).jpg (332.36 KB, 1600x1146 - viewed 510 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015