The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 11:00:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-122 sloppy tuning  (Read 3198 times)
N0BST

« on: November 19, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

Replaced the dial string on the main tuning dial of my Halliscratchers SX-122 and when I put it back together I noticed there's some slop in the tuning.  The dial begins turning before the cap starts moving.  Anyone know the cure?

Thanks,

Scott Todd
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »

Does that dial string have a tension spring?
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »

There should be a drum fastened to the cap shaft that the dial cord
is wrapped around with a tension spring in there. 

That drum is probably slipping. It should have a set screw on the coupling
bushing...  TIGHTEN IT!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N0BST

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »

There's a fair amount of tension on the dial string- I have the spring stretched out quite a bit.  The dial is secure on the shaft.  On the back of the dial is a gear (feels very secure; no way to tighten it anyhow) that meshes with another gear on the tuning cap.  The one on the cap is one of those split deals.  I'm guessing this is the anti-backlash?  How does that get adjusted?

Scott
WB6NVH

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »

That is an anti-backlash gear.  While the gears are disengaged, take the split gear and slide one half of it against spring tension by at least one tooth and then engage it with the solid gear.  Two teeth may be better if the spring allows it.

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »

That is an anti-backlash gear.  While the gears are disengaged, take the split gear and slide one half of it against spring tension by at least one tooth and then engage it with the solid gear.  Two teeth may be better if the spring allows it.

I've found the two halves of these anti-backlash gears seized together with oxidation on many occasions doing restorations.  So if there already appears to be tension on the spring, shoot some WD-40, 3-in-1, or similar in there and see if they'll loosen up.  You'll want to use a drop or two of proper lubricant in any case between the halves.  On more than one occasion I had to remove the gear and let it soak for a day to get the halves to finally lose their grip on each other.

Grant/NQ5T
N0BST

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »

As they say in Brooklyn when the Third Armored Division rolls through- "Tanks!"  That certainly makes sense.  When I pulled the dial the gear behind it went with it and so the anti-backlash properties of the other gear were lost when the spring pulled the two halves together.  I think I should be able to figure out how to get things right again.

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015