The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:37:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking II Trapazoid Measurement  (Read 5558 times)
w5gw

« on: November 10, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »

Where have folks tapped off audio output in a Viking II so as to make a trapazoid measurement?  Any precautions?

thanks

Gary - W5GW
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:02:52 PM »

Gary,

I would think in order to get close to a true representation of "actual audio"  you would want to take it off the top side of the modulation transformer.  Taking it off earlier would not be a true representation.  I would use a suitable size DC blocking cap which would need to withstand the HV DC plus the peak audio voltage.  That would then go into a rather high impedance resistor divider network.  Size the two resistors such that you get the correct amplitude to the scope.   

Joe,
W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »

Joe is correct

Audio is taken from the class C side of the mod xfmr, between the xfmr and the plate RFC.  The cap has to be at least 3-4KV and as large a value you can get.  I use two .1ufd 2KV caps in series.  Then you add resistance, usually a string of resistors 250K-500K.  The last one can even be a pot for adjustment.  This set-up is in any ARRL handbook.

The RF is taken from the tank output with a pick-up coil.  DO NOT make any direct connection to the RF tank circuit for the RF pick-up.  You can also use the RF pick-up for the usual wave envelope pattern.

Fred
WD8KDG

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »

Look at any of the 50's or early 60's ARRL handbooks. The equations for C, R1,& R2 are in there. Previous posts already give the location for C. A small project box will hold the pot and the string of resistors.

Never played with a Viking II, but getting the audio sample out of the transmiter is an issue. If an unused solder post & rear connection are there, use it with consideration to voltage going to the project box & insulation of the wire.

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »

Gary,

Put the grounded series divider network in the transmitter that way your bringing a low voltage audio sample out of the rig.  I would not bring it through a FT cap since your source will be very high impedance.

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

Correct again,

I put the whole network INSIDE my HB xmtr.  Therefore you can't get sapped by the high voltage.  The last resistor is grounded and you can bring the output out to a BNC connector.  The output is taken from the junction of the last two resistors,  or the wiper if you use a pot as the last resistor.

Fred
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »

Some BC rigs take the RF sample off just before the output coax receptacle.  That is, if you are running coax output as well.

They use a tappable choke that represents high impedance to 50Z connected directly, the other end grounded, the sliding tap goes to the sample out jack.

I've seen others that used a few turns in a link, coupled to the last series inductor in the output network.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:28:42 PM »

I have never been able to get a trapezoid pattern to work right with a simple resistive dividing network without adding some capacitors to compensate for phase shift; otherwise the pattern is all muddled up. One capacitor like the circuit they show in the handbook never worked for me.  I eventually came up with a circuit that would produce a clean pattern, using trial and error.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W9BHI

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »

To K4KYV:
Could you please share the information on the resistor capacitor circuit?
I have a Valiant II that I would like to do a trapezoid monitor on.
Thanks,
Don W9BHI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015