The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:16:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency Power For Subscriber Line Carrier (SLC) Equipment  (Read 3077 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »

Been in conversation with our town's First Selectman about how the town might deal better with loss of land line telephone and networking connectivity capabilities during extended power outages such as the 4 plus days we went through with TS Irene.  Down here were were lucky during the recent October Noreaster,  our immediate neighborhood was the only outage in town, and we were back up in 16 hours.  Guys like JJ and RKW had it a lot tougher.  My son's place in Vernon only got power back a few days ago.

Been doing some reading up on the  SLC equipment which is where the subscriber copper interfaces the fiber optic part of the phone networks.  apparently the phone companies are required by Fee Cee regulations to maintain then in operation for only a minimum of 8 hours during a commercial outage.  An AT&T tech at our local central office told me that they did not have any assets available in our area during Irene's aftermath to power them beyond the nominal 24 hours it took for the SLC battery backups to die.

I think our town should have a means of holding the telcomm utilities feet to the fire to keep these systems going during extended outages, especially for critical locations, or have the means to take matters into our own hands to power them up if the telcomm utility does not support.

Anyone out there have any practical/professional experience with powering such systems?  For example, if one were able to power up the SLC serving a specific neighborhood, are you then back in business, or might there be another SLC upstream between you and the central office that would also need powering?   Found this link to someone who has the same concerns as I do:

http://sffma.net/tech_info_powering.htm

At the very least, it would be a goal to engage the telcomm utilities about how they are going to respond to extended outages in town in the future... or at least give the town a map of the SLCs so a plan could be developed to power them.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:50:33 PM »

I doubt that the Telecom will let Joe Public touch their stuff. You could request that they add additional batteries in the SLC box to see you through the longer outages that seems to be happening in your area. Or install solar powered back-up to charge the batts during daylight hours. Even a cloudy day should get some juice back into the batts.

Fred KC4MOP
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »

It would not be Joe Public, it would be undertaken through the town's emergency management plan.  If the telcomm utility can't or won't deliver backup power for their network , why shouldn't the town be able to step in and pick up the slack, let the telcomm sue us if they don't like it...

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »

Hey Chris
Dealing with utilities in my last 40 years working for a utility, your township would be considered Joe Public.
Utilities do not like any one touching their stuff.......there's liability issues and public safety. And I agree, what is so hard to connect an external backup to that SLC and you have your telecom back. If something goes South, your Township will pay dearly for any damages to the SLC.

Fred KC4MOP
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »

Fred - I am sure you are right about the legal liability..what we through our town and state govenments should be working for is putting pressure on the telcomms to have the assets needed available to cope with extended outages, or some sort of working agreement that would permit the town to power up the SLCs in affected areas after a notification to the telcomm where the telcomm is unable to respond with their own assets.  Someone mentioned putting solar panels and inverters on the SLCS how much could they draw each a hundred watts or so?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015