The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:31:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Valiant restore project  (Read 2902 times)
K2OWR

« on: November 07, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »

:::: I've seen all the terrific articles on restoring this treasure. Lots if info on what to change, update, and replace. I have not seen many tips on where to go for parts. I see capacitor "kits" on Ebay, but $60 for 10 capacitors......really? I suppose I could put together an order from one of the regular parts suppliers, but would I save money after going to several places to put together the same "kit" considering you sometimes pay $15 minimum shipping for a lot of these places?
Anybody have a list of the best places for "restoration" parts?
BILL
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »

90% of your needs can be filled at Mouser or Digikey.  Only things that are very specific need be bought elsewhere, like DoorKnob Caps or such.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »

If your list is complete with values and voltages I strongly recommend Mouser Electronics. No minimum order and reasonable shipping costs. They have a very detailed catalog and ordering web site that is fairly easy to navigate. Even if you order a few extra parts I'm sure you won't break your budget. Mouser is my first and favorite choice. Good luck with your project and keep us posted with pictures when you can.

Mike
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:59:18 AM »

Mouser is my first choice but I also use Digikey at times since they sometimes have a part I need that is not standard stock at Mouser.  For smaller orders at Mouser, choose USPS at checkout instead of the default UPS since USPS is still significantly less expensive for very small orders.

If you are going to be doing a number of restorations in the near future, consider ordering extras for common parts (filter caps, standard size bypass caps, etc.) because the quantity discount for many parts is very steep.  It is also nice to have what you need on hand instead of waiting for an order shipment to finish a project.  I have one parts cabinet that has all common standard resistor values in the half watt size while a second contains a number of electrolytic caps in standard values and voltage ratings, a large selection of 500 volt micas, and most standard caps from 10 pf through 1 uf in 400-630 volt ratings.  I bought a couple of "resistor kits" from Mouser with 10 each of 3 watt power resistors in a large number of values.  Combined with a few other boxes of parts (fuses, common SS devices, etc.) I rarely find something I am out of during a restoration and when I notice I am running low on a standard part I add it to a list on the bench so that it gets replenished during the next Mouser order.

Rodger WQ9E
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »

MOUSER is the place to order from, $2 to 2000 dollars the ladies there treat you the same. You can get on there web site and order from there, but if you can't find it there just give them a call.

John W9BFO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015