The AM Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:41:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have about had it  (Read 11998 times)
Jim, W5JO

« on: November 06, 2011, 11:13:34 PM »

Last night about this time the Oklahoma earthquake shook the house for about a minute.  Since then there has been numerous aftershocks, most of which we haven't felt.

Then tonight a cool front is approaching and we are having strong thunderstorms like we see in the spring.  Just now lightning struck just outside the South side of the house.  It was so close that it blinded me momentarily as the noise from thunder knocked pictures from the South wall.

Now it is raining like a cow pouring on a flat rock.  What is next, a flood?  I haven't found any damage from either the earthquake, centered about 70 miles North of me and everything electrical is working.  I raised my tower late yesterday do you suppose that caused all this?

We continue to have lightning strikes close to the house.  I think I may sleep under the bed tonight.  I hope this storm isn't a big one when it gets East of the Mississippi.  If it does, start ducking tomorrow if you live East of me.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »

Hang in there. We survived an earthquake and a hurricane a few months ago here in VA.
n1exi

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »

here in jersey - 'quakes, 'canes, nor'easters, drive-bys, fly-bys, huns roaming the streets!
wish i had a bigger bed
KC4ALF

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »

Oh Goodie. The "light" rains they are calling for here in the Va. Mntns. will be just the thing with all the downed trees from last weeks snow storm. Still unraveling the antenna's.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »

Don't worry, it will all come to a head in 409 days.

nothing but peace and serenity after that.

K3ZS

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:20:14 AM »

Get ready for pestilence and famine.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:58 AM »

Now, let's see  Huh  Huh We had an earthquake this past summer. Then we got clobbered with a hurricane, which was followed about a week later by a noreaster (which was actually worse than the hurricane) Then got additional slaps in the face by generator and sump pump crapouts, not to mention a handful of nasty thunderboomers inbetween compounded by surgical procedures and health issues.

Smile, Jim, after all Murphy once said: " If all is going well, it can and will ALWAYS get worse!"  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »

Wow Jim who would have thought this was waiting in the wings when I worked you yesterday.  And I made some comment about the earthquake and End Times.   Shocked  And I mentioned that ham in MS who put up the 4 el. steppIR yagi and it got hit by lightning a day or two later.  You probably never gonna want to talk to me again hi hi.  We're supposed to get thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow.  may be the same system.   I already have everything unplugged and disconnected since I'm not going to be able to operate today and the next few days anyway.  Hope everything is okay with you today.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »

Yep, the WX is sure sporting lately, Jim. Hang in there.

Probably caused by normal long term planetary cycles that have repeated many times over billions of years.

The good news is, in the end, for most of us, the only thing to really be concerned about is our own health. That will be what takes us out - not an asteroid or other popularized apocalyptic event... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:05:14 PM »

Frustration, frustration, frustration.  This has been a year for 1st. in OK.  The most days of over 100 degree days in history, the largest number of days without rainfall, the largest number of people killed in tornados, The highest temp recorded, the most snowfall in one day then last night the storms had a subtropical presence to them.  The lightning was  almost constant from about 9 PM until after 2:30 which was bad enough but we had over 9" of rain in the same period.

Just about 20 minutes ago we had another aftershock that moved my computer display back and forth.  I know as of last evening there was over 10 aftershocks and they keep coming along with more heavy rainfall.  The WX service just issued a tornado watch for us on top of everything else. 

Guys and gals, I am 68 and the WX is something I have never witnessed.  The last record for earthquakes was in 1952, a 5.4.  Reports have come in from Wisconsin about this one.  I am not someone who believes in spirits, ghosts, goblins and such but I am now beginning to wonder if the Mayans have it right.  Dec 21, 2012 is the end of their calender.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »

Dec 21, 2012 is the end of their calender.

It's time they order some new ones!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »

I'm not convinced astrological effects are responsible. It seems like the results of nature and environment. Still, I've always liked a basement and been a little envious of y'all in OK for having them. It's like another whole house, under the house! Hope your weather improves, sincerely.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »

Guys and gals, I am 68 and the WX is something I have never witnessed.  The last record for earthquakes was in 1952, a 5.4.  Reports have come in from Wisconsin about this one.  I am not someone who believes in spirits, ghosts, goblins and such but I am now beginning to wonder if the Mayans have it right.  Dec 21, 2012 is the end of their calender.

Shoot an e-mail to Harold Camping in Oakland, CA.  He might be able to sort things out for you.   Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 01:32:32 AM »

I'm not convinced astrological effects are responsible. It seems like the results of nature and environment. Still, I've always liked a basement and been a little envious of y'all in OK for having them. It's like another whole house, under the house! Hope your weather improves, sincerely.

Many say it's not "astrological" but "astronomical".  Procession of the equinoxes... alignment with galactic center... and all sorts of other "big picture" ideas that are cyclic.  Last time this happened, wooly mammoths were frozen solid in an instant tundra with fresh buttercups still in mouth and the rains stop eroding the Sphinx.

AMI#1684
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »

Jim,
      It's been the same way around here this past year. First time that I can remember having an earthquake. (at least one that was perceptable) The Wx has been very wierd, and the year isn't over yet. The last 2 years have been really tough on me in many ways. Life can be a cruel critter and at times it will kick your ass any time it can.

You just gotta hold your head high and kick IT'S ass and keep moving on.

Screw 12-21-12, thats why the Mayans dissapeared as a society. Focus on the positive and move on. Life is just too short to carry around a belly full of negativity!
And besides I'd rather carry around a belly full of good food!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA4JK

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »

Good to talk with you Sunday Jim, hope the tornado was west and north of you... Any damage for you??
John K5PRO

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »

Boonton Electronics in NJ was without power all last week, due to the snowstorm breaking trees that still had leaves, breaking power lines.
I spoke with them yesterday as have some of their power meters.

We had a small earthquake few weeks ago, then yesterday and Sunday it snowed on the mountains and last night the roads driving down the mountain from work (7000 feet above sea level) were slicker than snot. I guess we're in winter now, I just drained the sprinklers Sunday.
John
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 11:03:16 AM »

Man, you guys are getting pounded!  According to the lightning storm map, that huge patch of thunderstorms has been hovering over OK for days now.

We are having nice, clear Indian Summer days here.  Yesterday reached about 70 deg.  Ideal wx for outside work.  Just wish it were like this from April through November (but then everybody and his brother would want to move here, and it would end up like southern California). I suspect the fixed high pressure that is making it so nice here is blocking the storm system and forcing it to stall over your area.

That stalled storm system is wreaking havoc with the bands, though.  Only the stappingest are making it through the QRN. I have been spending my "radio time" working on projects rather than trying to get on the air.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA7IUS
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »

Hello,

Smoke a "joint" and relax!

Tnx,
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

Hello,

Smoke a "joint" and relax!

Tnx,

How can one relax after "smoking a joint" when all one can think about is how the door is about to be rammed down and you're going to be hauled off in front of a judge and given the option of hard time in prison or serving your country in the jungles of Vietnam?

Oh wait, that was somebody elses flashback... did you see that?  This is BAT COUNTRY!

AMI#1684
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »

More than 10 aftershocks have happened since the"big one" the one last night was 4.7.  Then Sunday night the lightning you saw Don, dumped about 9" of rain in about 6 hours.  We have had an additional 3 inches since.

What a way to end a drought .  The big tornado was about 90 West and had a long track, mostly on sparsely occupied ground.  The storms I referenced in the first post had a subtropical feeling like the ones I have witnessed in central Mexico.  The lightning struck the ground all around the house for hours on end.  And this is fall.  I am not sure I will be ready for next spring.

This year was also the year of the largest snowfall and another winter is about to begin.   I am ready for the end of the world party.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:28 PM »

That front is in E. Texas now and still spawning some tornados.  It's supposed to arrive here in S. Louisiana around midnight.  I hope it's not going to be too bad and I am looking forward to some cooler weather after.

AMI#1684
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:52 PM »

My son called me tonight to report a tornado touched down only a few blocks from his house in Kingwood TX, northeast of Houston. It snapped off allot of hugh trees near a school and but no major damage to the building. School was in session but the kids had been sent to the shelter area when the warnings came in. No injuries.

Steve
VK7ZL
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:50 AM »

We have had our share of bad weather as well with electrical storms across Australia every night for the last 3 weeks and severe flooding in towns down the East coast.
This is the map for tonight.

Bob

* WX.jpg (260.22 KB, 636x480 - viewed 423 times.)
WA4JK

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »

Ol mother earth has been pretty calm for a long time now and she is beginning her awakening. We haven't seen a real large valcano or earthquake as has been the norm in the past. That past to us seems a long time ago but in the real sence it is only a short time to this planet. We can only look at what formed the rockies and realize this was an event that is new to earth time but long ago to human time. It's coming, just be ready for a really big change to our way of life. Can you say tribal way of life.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015