The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:53:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking I -- help!  (Read 3514 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: October 31, 2011, 05:47:20 AM »

I have a friend that is working on refurbing a Viking I.  

John, I am fighting getting th oscillator and buffer going in this Viking 1. I have checked the tube pin voltages and they are ok according to the manual, but higher due to the higher line voltage than 1950.

Do you know anyone with real hands on experience and knowledge of the Viking 1 who might walk through the exciter stages of this thing with me. I believe the rig will be fine when I get through the oscillator and buffer problems. I have changed the tubes a couple of times to no avail.

The oscillator and buffer worked intermittently last night and I got about 60 watts from the final. The tone was raspy like a horizontal oscillator freq into a shortwave receiver. Then the oscillator stages became intermittent , some times worked and then did not. Then they finally quit what little they were doing and refused to oscillate nd drive the final.....

I am anxious to finish this thing and get it on the air and move on to refurbishing my SX 28A, 75A1, 75A2 and so on.

If you could connect me with a Viking 1 expert, I would appreciate it.

Any takers or advice I could pass along??  I did ask him if he is using a xtal or vfo.  I'll post once he replies.  If anyone is intimately knowledgable with this PM me and I'll pass his email along.

AMI#1684
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »

John,

I responded directly to John's post on the email reflector.   Hopefully my suggestions will lead to a solution.

Rodger WQ9E
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »

Okay, I didn't realize he posted to the reflector too.  Thanks Rodger!

AMI#1684
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:37:47 AM »

John,

No problem and casting a wide net is a good idea.  Your post here had more symptom info than the email.  Perhaps you can post a synopsis here when his problem is rectified.

Rodger WQ9E
Detroit47

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »

What is an Email reflector??  What am I missing!!!!!!!

John N8QPC
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »

OH WAIT!! I forgot I DO MISS a lot of those because for some stupid reason my email app thinks SOME of them are SPAM... I need to look in my spam folder...

John N8QPC... email reflector..

An electronic mailing list is a special usage of email that allows for widespread distribution of information to many Internet users. It is similar to a traditional mailing list — a list of names and addresses — as might be kept by an organization for sending publications to its members or customers, but typically refers to four things — a list of email addresses, the people ("subscribers") receiving mail at those addresses, the publications (email messages) sent to those addresses, and a reflector, which is a single email address that, when designated as the recipient of a message, will send a copy of that message to all of the subscribers.  

(thanks wikipedia)

list rules:
http://w5ami.net/amradiofaq.html

I believe you can subscribe by sending an email to

amradio-request@mailman.qth.net

with the word "subscribe" in the body of the message

AMI#1684
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »

Besides the absolute MUST of replacing all paper and electrolytic caps the Vik I will also likely have many resistors out of tolerance....at least mine did.

Carl
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »

Besides the absolute MUST of replacing all paper and electrolytic caps the Vik I will also likely have many resistors out of tolerance....at least mine did.

Particularly in the bias voltage divider string!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015