The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:58:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Snow Thread  (Read 34999 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

Ground is covered in Enfield. flakes getting smaller.
Got the 160M ant back up just in time.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

Last winter damaged a bunch of shrubbery here at the QTH.  The shrubs haven't fully recovered.  Going to protect them this winter.   I've cleaned them off twice today. A new maple tree which is still green was bending down.  Cleaned that off too.  We have about 2 or so inches of heavy wet snow.  No grass showing.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »

Not a flake yet in Saratoga NY. Forecast calls for 4-7 " of heavy wet snow, more to the south less to the north, which in my area means lights out with most of leaves still on the trees.

Steve
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

This is turning into a nightmare in CT.

Remember the movie "Midway" when the Japs were caught wiith their torpedo planes on deck?  Well, now we're caught in a snowstorm with the leaves still on the trees.

So far, five large branches have cracked and fallen next to the house. I hear them cracking out in the woods.  Trees have limbs that look like pole vaulting poles bent over at a 60 degree angle.

It's just a matter of time before they start falling on the power lines. It may turn to ice later with 40-50 mph gusts.

Enjoy the electricity while we can. We just went through this with Irene... sigh.

Generator ready, coal stove going and water in bath tub just in case.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »

Now snowing to beat the band for the last hour or so down here on the CT shore.  Our forecast down here just got updated to up to 8 inches....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »

now up to 8 inches here. power's gone out about 3 or 4 times. we have soybeans still in the field that haven't been harvested yet, and the neighbor has ear corn in his field that hasn't been harvested yet either.
shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »

34 degrees and a mix of rain and sleet here in Baltimore. (mostly rain)

WX man sez we're right on the rain/snow line.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA3VJB
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »

This part of Maryland's getting a little of it.

It's just wrong when the impatiens are still blooming, the trees are still green, and there's SNOW coming down.

* IMG00585-20111029-1635.jpg (611.33 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 432 times.)

* IMG_6680.JPG (3526.07 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 418 times.)

* IMG_6681.JPG (3375.71 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 388 times.)
W1IA

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »

Got back from first day of black powder hunting only to have to get the diesel
tractor set up with the snow muncher...Argh!!

Well at least tracking the bambies should be easier in the snow.

Run What Ya Brung!
WA3VJB
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »

39 degs here, didn't stop it from changing phase.

* MVI_6683.mpg (372 KB - downloaded 187 times.)

* IMG_6686.JPG (2756.75 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 394 times.)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »

Got about 4 inches as of this post.  Temp is holding at 31.  Been stoking the wood burner and running the fan to get the heat up in the house.  We've had a couple of power flickers.  Power went out for about a minute and reset. Snow has seemed to lighten up a bit and on the verge of a change over.  Right now it's light snow and some sleet.  Hopefully no freezing rain.  Cleaned the critical plants again.  The maple mentioned in my previous post has all green leaves on it still.  Most of the leaves on the trees have turned color so they'll fall off but the maple got to keep clean.  It's a family heirloom grown from a seed from a tree my grandfather started 35 or so years ago. Dipole is sagging something wicked.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
kb3ouk

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »

we have a few norway maples here and all of them still have their leaves, but our english walnuts lost theirs almost a month ago.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »

http://outage.cl-p.com/outage/outagemap.aspx

http://www.cl-p.com/outage/mobile.aspx

81% of the town is without power. Still on here.

Some towns are out 100%.

Looks like GFZ in Enfield is at 81% out. You still up Frank?

And it continues to snow and the wind continues to blow.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
kb3ouk

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »

it's pretty much stopped here. total is about 8 inches. checked it when i had the dog out about 40 minutes ago.

w1vtp

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »

<snip>

Something bigger than thumb size pic would be nice.   More drool factor   Grin
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »

Ended up with only a coating down here in Stonington, but power went out around midnight.  Started up the generator around 0800.  Lots of outages and trees down up in the Vernon, son's place power is out, they got about 8 inches.    Fridge here is full of the last of the jalepenos.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
kb3ouk

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »

yea, my granddad just picked all his jalepenos and habaneros the other day, good thing he did.
shelby

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 09:25:57 AM »

14 Inches here!!!  Power's been out since Saturday afternoon, trees across the driveway and the power lines on the street and the driveway.  14 inches of heavy wet snow.  And, why do I live here?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??  Undecided

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
kb3ouk

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »

power went out a few times yesterday, and then the phone/internet was doen for around an hour, so i tore apart my laptop to see if i could fix the screen cable, must have a break in it becuase if it was set anywhere but wide open the display was green. tore it apart, made about 6 tries to get it put back together correctly, and now the screen works better (still cuts out when the lid is at 90 degrees compared to the keyboard). now the snow is beginning to melt, heard a couple chunks falling off the roof.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

Got about 8 to 10 inches.  Power went out exactly at 200AM according to the UPS.  Started the generator around 730A.  Didn't lose much heat over that period of time.  Got down to 58 from 63.  Back up to 63.  Sun is out so the heat won't be needed.  29% of Colchester is without power according to the outage map. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w1vtp

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »

14 Inches here!!!  Power's been out since Saturday afternoon, trees across the driveway and the power lines on the street and the driveway.  14 inches of heavy wet snow.  And, why do I live here?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??  Undecided

'cause it's such a nice place.  I don't envie you getting rid of all that snow.  Do you have a generator system?  Here's mine - a 8 KVA.  Serves the whole house but my service goes from a 100 amp to a 40 amp service.

My fridges are cool and so are the freezers.  I do what to get something similar to W1UJR
w1vtp

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »

‘Cause it’s such a nice place!  Hope you don’t have to shovel that stuff.  Do you have a generator?  Mine is a 8 KVA generator.  Here’s a pic of it.  I go from a 100 amp service to a 40 amp service. I think I have about 6 hours of service left after that I have a 3 gallon can.  Hope that PSNH gets on the stick soon

Al

* DSC_1445.jpg (285.28 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 435 times.)

* DSC_1446.jpg (251.84 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 397 times.)
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

According to CL&Ps outage map, there are only 52 subscribers in Stonington out.  That means just our immediate neighborhood. Took a drive around, and sure enough, the high line fuse on the neighborhood feeder indicates blown.  No obvious other damage visible on the circuit.  I suspect we had another incident where a branch from one of several pine trees growing up around several poles in the neighborhood got across the high line in the wind (which didn't seem very bad at the time).  I actually saw this happen on one pole and cause an outage earlier in the year during a thunderstorm.  Told CL&P about this condition (the outage I saw actually happened just after a line crew had replaced the fuse from an earlier outage in the evening and was packing up to leave, I was able to get to them just as they were ready to drive off).  Other than a few branches the crew cut back at that time, they have not ever done a complete job of it.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
w1vtp

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2011, 11:19:11 AM »

Here's the PSNH outage map

http://www.psnh.com/outage/
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »

Got our power back in our neighborhood about 4 PM.  CL&P line crew said the outage was caused by an arc over on a pole pig that feeds a house on a back lot on the end of the circuit caused by an overgrowth of bittersweet vines that crawled UP the pole.  Ironic in that the owner of the lot that is fed by the pig that's hanging on a pole on an extended line inside his property is a tech at the Millstone nuke plant - you think he would have noticed that!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015