The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:37:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K7DYY SuperSenior AM Transmitter  (Read 5060 times)
WA4JK

« on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »

Anybody tested one of these yet???
Index Laboratories  has introduced a new class "D" AM amateur transmitter! Following in the footsteps of the Junior and the Senior, the new SuperSenior lives up to it's name. It's SUPER!

The SuperSenior operates on the two most popular AM amateur bands, 160 meters and 80 meters, with full band coverage
The SuperSenior however has a PLL (VFO) that can be set in 5 khz steps across the both bands.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:09:23 PM »

I looked at it the other day.   It occurred to me that it would be a good rig for an AMer who is no longer able to move his big iron around but doesn't want to run a plastic radio and amp.   He'd have to be able to fix it when it breaks though, otherwise he'd be in the same boat with all these other guys running manufactured black boxes.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »

Nice little rack mount.

Can't find a spec sheet on the website -- curious as to audio response and distortion. 
Seeing too that the modulation is limited to 100%, but he doesn't say whether that's positive or negative peaks.

Current consumption at full power, no modulation is 5 amps from the wall socket, but how about when you're leaning into it ?

Still, I've heard good things about Bruce and his attention to customer service so I look forward to finding these on the air soon.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:03:48 PM »

I had the same question Paul about the 100% peak limiter.

It's a slick looking little unit except that I find it strange that the 3 fans are in the front. I would think you might put some filtered vents in the front and mount the fans in the back. No big deal though.

I'd love to see it cover the "big 3" AM bands from 160 - 40 meters, but this looks like a big step forward from the senior and junior models.

I'll bet you'd much rather "haul" something like that around instead of moving any of the 3 decks in your T-368! I have never had any dealings with Bruce but have heard nothing but good things from anyone I've spoken to on the air who owns his equipment.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA4JK

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »

I had the Sr. and had many talks with Bruce about the big bang issue. I had the big bang on a dummy load and Bruce honored our agreement and returned all of my funds. I hope that he has put safeguards in place to protect the circuit. I hope to here a few on the air and see good reports.
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »

I worked someone who uses the Super Senior.  Sounds real good. Curious that Dave really likes the D104 although that's really not a problem with me as that mike sounds really good when hookes up properly

Dont like the 5 KC increment on the vfo

Al
ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »

..i have the senior, on 160...4 years now...never ANY problems...dont know guys knock the thing so much...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

I had the same question Paul about the 100% peak limiter.
Rob W1AEX

Bruce said the 3db points are at 20cps, and 10Kc, and that the carrier level can be reduced below 375 watts to achieve positive peaks greater than 100%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015