The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:16:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPL coming to a neighborhood near you!  (Read 10557 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »

I'm not buying this BPL story. Google anything about BPL or go to the FCC site. Nothing can be found that is current, just all old stuff. Show me the beef!

The beef is easy to find:

See:
Second Report And Order dated October 24, 2011:
ET Docket No. 04-37 and ET Docket No. 03-104
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1024/FCC-11-160A1.pdf

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
VK7ZL
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

We had a BPL trial here in Tasmania a couple of years ago which cost millions of $ to setup and was shut down about 12 months later, a complete failure.
As more licenced services complained about interference the more notches had to be inserted resulting in slower speeds for the intended users and as more users signed on the slower still the system became. The smallest amount of RF induced into the system by an HF transmitter close to the overhead wires would also block the data.
The selected users of the system were banned from disclosing any information about their experience with the system until the trial was over and no licenced Hams were permitted to take part in the trial.

A report on the whole saga with pictures of the installations and sound recordings of the interference are posted on our club website at:

http://reast.asn.au/vk7bplwatch.php

Bob
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:35 PM »

The beef is easy to find:

Thanks for finding the BEEF Pete! Good job.

Interesting story Bob. I guess the manufacturers will do and say anything to make a buck! 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »

A report on the whole saga with pictures of the installations and sound recordings of the interference are posted on our club website at:

http://reast.asn.au/vk7bplwatch.php

Bob

The link is loaded with information Bob. Thanks for posting it. Hopefully, whatever flavor of BPL gets rolled out here and there will similarly go away once people find that it's not a viable solution.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »

I don't think this system could compete in any area with cable. Way too much hardware to maintain.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »

The smallest amount of RF induced into the system by an HF transmitter close to the overhead wires would also block the data.

Grin Grin

Strap softly and turn up the wick.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 04:49:03 AM »

cyn·i·cal/Adjective: 1.Believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

I read the entire R&O and to say I have come away with a cynical distrust of human sincerity or integrity regarding the FCC and it's ruling is an understatement.

One glaring admission of the boards understanding of just how seriously BPL will effect HF communications is the preclusion of shared spectrum on military, public safety and air traffic control HF sub bands. Other services like the AM broadcast band, foreign government communications and so on will be removed from the BPL spectrum if needed but the Amateur radio service is just going to have to live with it. Shows how much they value this service and to what ends they will go to sell out when big business comes knocking.

Who stands to gain here? At the top of the list are the power companies. If you Google Smart Grid you will see grandiose plans to revamp the entire electrical grid to generate and transport power more efficiently. They have wanted to do this for a long time but it will cost an enormous amount of non revenue earning capitol. Hundreds of Billions. This isn't what they want really, they will get to it when the government steps in with funding or allows the companies to bill the improvements to the rate payers.

Very quickly the talk of Smart Grid turns to smart metering. NOW THIS is the meat between the slices. Every utility in the nation wants smart metering. No more meter readers. No more house calls to turn on or off service. Power theft alarms. Outage mapping, smart (people less and paperless) billing. All of which are labor intensive JOBS right now and all will be redundant with the smart metering. The only thing they have been missing is the funding to install this technology and spectrum to communicate with the meters.

As far as the funding goes, the government is ready to hand out cash for so called green tech and that last mile internet BS. Now we see the FCC has given up on part 15 and given away the entire ham spectrum to special interests. As far as the power companies are concerned BPL could flop and it wouldn't mater a bit. They get free smart metering and save a ton of money in wages and benefits. And what about all of the other part 15 equipment builders. Do they get a pass on the new interference measurement specifications?

The best argument the fed can make in favor of BPL spectrum is to point at PLC broadcast that has been in use for decades and doesn't interfere with other services. I KNOW, It's a crock but they seem to think it's reason enough to think BPL will be just as invisible.  The Feds have written off mobile HF operation by acknowledging that NOTHING can be done about notching spectrum for a moving target and a car will certainly pass closer than 30 feet from the power lines which they admit is too close to the interfering signal to avoid interference. Hell, my doublet is closer than 30 feet at home.

For those interested, the ARRL has done a great job fighting this case. They landed some solid punches that set back the feds and business lobbyists. This will probably have to be settled in court and a case like this will cost quite a bit. Regardless of your personal attitude towards the league, a donation for spectrum defense might help.

Mike
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »

I read the entire R&O and to say I have come away with a cynical distrust of human sincerity or integrity regarding the FCC and its ruling is an understatement.

Here's the link:

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1024/FCC-11-160A1.pdf

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015