The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:57:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Fair Radio Sales stay in business???  (Read 16739 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »

I didn't burn out very many FETs at all, but what I have is a fairly good collection of prototypes (or should I say, parts of prototypes).  These were - as one might say - the rungs up the ladder it took to get to where we are today, class E/D wise.  There are probably a hundred FETs - maybe more - as part of these prototypes, not including the one transmitter that, in and of itself, used 100 small devices.

The most early success I had at high power was an 80/160 meter class D rig that used 100 IRF610s, a floating driver and a very good pulse width modulator.  I believe Frank actually saw that rig in operation.  I still have the prototype, albeit, mostly dismantled.

The wonder of some of it, looking back, is the amount of time that went into designing and then building all of that stuff  Shocked  All fun!  Cheesy

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »

Fair Radio has for a long time been a neat place. As to the pricing, be selective. There is always some nugget that can be had for a reasonable price.

Steve, Tonight on 29015 Khz, right as you were describing that Valiant 811 modulator, 10m propagation died, and did so in about 10 seconds. Went from 20 over 9 to my S3 noise level from my "half square" antenna. That was about 7 pm EST. Weird.

Jim
WD5JKO

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »

When my wife was doing her residency in Kentucky and we were visiting for xmas (I was posted overseas then), I took a trip from Louisville to Lima to Fair Radio thru a blinding snowstorm.  What a great place.  There's tons of stuff that's not in the catalog, and friendly folks there too.

I ended up scoring an extremely rare Sylvania R-1414 receiver for a hunnert clams.  Anyway, it's well worth a trip.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »

I ended up scoring an extremely rare Sylvania R-1414 receiver for a hunnert clams.  Anyway, it's well worth a trip.

I'm now doing the manual for that receiver. Takes two hands to carry the manual.  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 08:15:39 AM »

Anything with a nixie tube readout has a high coolness factor in my book.  Grin

Doesn't surprise me that you found one at Fair, Johnny. I've heard similar stories from other folks about discovering gems hidden in amongst the other items. Would love to get there for a visit. There are numerous odds and ends I need that I'm sure are waiting there.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »

I'm now doing the manual for that receiver. Takes two hands to carry the manual.  Grin

I know, and expect an order from me  Grin

I figured the manual was absolutely unobtainium.  A forum member here scored one on eBay for a sawbuck; he;s the one that submitted it to Pete for reproduction as it was beyond him to do it himself. 

The power transformer is crapped out, but it does work (needs +5, +/-8, +24, and +180V as I recall).

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »

Someone on Premium RX just put in a good word for Pete on that manual
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »

Anything with a nixie tube readout has a high coolness factor in my book.  Grin

Doesn't surprise me that you found one at Fair, Johnny. I've heard similar stories from other folks about discovering gems hidden in amongst the other items. Would love to get there for a visit. There are numerous odds and ends I need that I'm sure are waiting there.

It's an extremely cool little receiver, and I'm looking forward to getting it in some semblance of permanent functionality.

It has a tag from Vint Hill, VA which was a classified ASA facility.  Oh the stories that RXer could tell if it could...

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »

Ah yes, the "FARMS"...  I did some TDY there once upon a time...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »

Speak of the devil, I got home and what did I find in the mail, the 64th Anniversary FRS catalog no. WS-11, "many new items; check every page!"  48 pages long.  If I had the money to blow, I'd think about a weekend trip to Lima OH and have an eyeball QSO with the place.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 08:10:05 PM »

The sign is still on US 29. But it's a development/business park now.

Ah yes, the "FARMS"...  I did some TDY there once upon a time...

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »

I ought to call them up and ask for a catalog. It has been a while.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K9PNP

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »

It has a tag from Vint Hill, VA which was a classified ASA facility.  Oh the stories that RXer could tell if it could...

Now there's a name I haven't heard in years.  Now an industrial park.  Interesting.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015