The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:22:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Reports That Amateur Radio Station Licenses Top 700,000  (Read 14527 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »

From the ARRL web site dated 10/12/11: US Amateurs Now 700,000 Strong
For the story, go here: http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateurs-now-700-000-strong

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »

From the ARRL web site dated 10/12/11: US Amateurs Now 700,000 Strong
For the story, go here: http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateurs-now-700-000-strong

Gee, I hope someone can put a negative spin on this postive news before we start to feel too good about it.    Roll Eyes

--- Post No Bills ---
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30:26 PM »

Gee, I hope someone can put a negative spin on this postive news before we start to feel too good about it.    Roll Eyes

Paper hams!

So, why was 75 congested to the hilt a generation or so ago and you couldn't find a frequency on a weekend night that wasn't several layers deep in QRM, but plenty of open space these days, even when there is a major QuaRMtest on? I didn't even notice the Penisylvania QSO Party this year, when in the past it was one of the most obnoxious and disruptive QuaRMtests on the bands.

And consider the letter just published in November QST (P. 24): On a recent 350 mile trip from home in Davenport, Iowa to my hometown south of St Louis, Missouri, I heard very little 2 meter activity on any repeater.  I was not even able to make a contact in 146.520 simplex.  Years ago, I always heard many 2 meter conversations on the same trip...

We see all those licensees in the FeeCee data base, but where are they operating?

Maybe we should extend a little effort to expose some of them to AM. That might be enough to motivate them to get on the air.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5IIA

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:58:04 PM »

well there ya go. haha

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »

I got me my ticket and now I can fire up my PC and operate EchoLink.

RF and h.v. and antennas and the HOA and drilling holes in the walls are all dangerous  Roll Eyes

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:47:49 AM »

These statistics have always included a lot of dead ticket licensees.

The share of inactive calls might be even higher than years past, as clubs turn out licensees but then fail to mentor them to the airwaves.

More lately, add to that the "EmComm" whacker segment, populated by people who have obtained a license only as part of hospital and industrial emergency preparedness programs, yet never actually get on the air as a hobbyist.

Paper hams!

So, why was 75 congested to the hilt a generation or so ago and you couldn't find a frequency on a weekend night that wasn't several layers deep in QRM, but plenty of open space these days, even when there is a major QuaRMtest on? I didn't even notice the Penisylvania QSO Party this year, when in the past it was one of the most obnoxious and disruptive QuaRMtests on the bands.

We see all those licensees in the FeeCee data base, but where are they operating?

Maybe we should extend a little effort to expose some of them to AM. That might be enough to motivate them to get on the air.

I did just that, Don, recruiting from among the Penna. QSO Party !!   Can you imagine the bum's rush I would have gotten just a few years ago ?

SEE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kcbVDDpfwc
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:28:03 AM »

I think last weekend or the one before, there was one of those North American QSO Parties going on, but the usual midwest group on 3885 fired up there like any other night.  The only problem during one of those things is when there's one station on frequency who is piss weak and goes on for a long transmission.  Then the QRMtesters move in. 

Getting the contest operators into AM will be an interesting undertaking.  My view is that there is a personality divide.  AM lends itself to ragchewing and friendly behavior.   Contesting seems to encourage building up these huge maulish stations then doing all operating in attack mode.  Of course I'm drawing too much of a distinction and there is much more of a gray area but the two operating activities by their nature must attract somewhat different personalities.   I am not trying to be divisive or critical; I am only offering an observation.  Some of the contest ops have provided useful antenna information for various bands-what works well; what doesn't and pattern plots and rx antenna techniques.  One area of overlap between AMers and contesters is that antennas and rx methods and tx efficiency in the feedlines and antennas are important (or should be) to both groups. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »

Getting the contest operators into AM will be an interesting undertaking.

Ah-yaw, it sure would.
But I don't see anyone in this thread offering to take that on. My own attempt was with someone who was not getting any answers to his CQ Corn-Test.  I don't think he would forswear another score to have spent much more than a couple minutes on me.

Don's reference, at least as I am interpreting it, would try to encourage inactive licensees to join us on AM.  The guy I got was "inactive" only for a minute or two.  I was surprised and delighted that he was as friendly as he turned out to be.

More typically, the mentality is "hit the road!" if you're not a participant.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »

If you're not busy this weekend, maybe one can try some "AM conversions" with all the activity this weekend.

THIS WEEKEND ON THE RADIO.  The 54th Jamboree On The Air, JARTS World Wide RTTY Contest, 10-10 International Fall CW Contest, NCCC Sprint, CQ SA SSB Contest, QRP ARCI Fall QSO CW Party, New York QSO Party, Iowa QSO Party, Worked All Germany Contest, PODXS 070 Club 160-Meter Great Pumpkin Sprint, Feld Hell Sprint, Asia-Pacific Fall CW Sprint, UBA ON 2-Meter Contest and the Illinois QSO Party are all scheduled for this weekend.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »

If you're not busy this weekend, maybe one can try some "AM conversions" with all the activity this weekend.

Already in the works, for quite a while. Not a League function so you may have missed it.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=28909.0
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »

THIS WEEKEND ON THE RADIO.  The 54th Jamboree On The Air, JARTS World Wide RTTY Contest, 10-10 International Fall CW Contest, NCCC Sprint, CQ SA SSB Contest, QRP ARCI Fall QSO CW Party, New York QSO Party, Iowa QSO Party, Worked All Germany Contest, PODXS 070 Club 160-Meter Great Pumpkin Sprint, Feld Hell Sprint, Asia-Pacific Fall CW Sprint, UBA ON 2-Meter Contest and the Illinois QSO Party are all scheduled for this weekend.

I'm excited about this and I will be checking this forum Sunday night to find out how many "conversions" took place over the weekend.  In the meantime can we get a show of hands from the people that plan on getting on the air this weekend and "converting" active contest participants to AM or "converting" scouts that are making their first contact while a licensed amateur is in control of the station.  Please let us know the times and frequencies that you are planning.  I for one would like to listen in on the fun.   Wink

Who plans on converting people to AM this weekend ?

--- Post No Bills ---
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »

conversion   double conversion
agent     double agent
spy    double nought spy
ECM   ECCM
where will it all end?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »

Newington Ct.

The Executive Board of the ARRL announced today a "memorandum of understanding" between the Lays corporation and the Federal Communications Commission. Lays is the parent corporation of the famous 100 year old brand, Cracker Jacks. Starting next month Cracker Jacks will replace some of the prizes in their box with authentic FCC Amateur Radio Licenses. These Licenses will be good for 6 months, and not renewable. Said ARRL spokesperson Larry Putz "We expect that Amateur Radio Station Licenses will top 2 million in no time at all, this will be a great introduction to Amateur Radio for so many and lead to the growth of the hobby."

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:38 AM »

So who managed to "convert" either contesters or scouts to AM this past weekend ?

Lets hear some of your stories !

--- Post No Bills ---
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »

But the managers in Newington acknowledge they will deduct a handful of product from each box of Cracker Jacks, as the result of a Board decision to make room for the license packet. This "value added" strategy was voted upon in secret at the most recent closed-door meeting that subscribers were not allowed to oversee.

Newington Ct.

The Executive Board of the ARRL announced today a "memorandum of understanding" between the Lays corporation and the Federal Communications Commission. Lays is the parent corporation of the famous 100 year old brand, Cracker Jacks. Starting next month Cracker Jacks will replace some of the prizes in their box with authentic FCC Amateur Radio Licenses. These Licenses will be good for 6 months, and not renewable. Said ARRL spokesperson Larry Putz "We expect that Amateur Radio Station Licenses will top 2 million in no time at all, this will be a great introduction to Amateur Radio for so many and lead to the growth of the hobby."

_-_-
k3sqp

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »

When u really look at this number its  verrry bogus.
Say I renew the ticket today and croak tomorrow.
Well the xyl isn't gonna call the Feces and cancel the ticket.
So it will exist for 10 years till the next renewal and then 2 years
grace period till it falls out of the database. When you look at the age of the
average ham this is gonna happen many times.
And I never got my Cracker jack...
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015