The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:28:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Local JOTA - Update 10/16/11  (Read 15016 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: September 15, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »

Anyone interested in QSOing with 7 cub scouts sometime in late October? Ages are about 7 to 10 years of age.  This is preliminary right now as we're setting up. A coworker asked me if I'd be interested in showing several scouts about ham radio.  I volunteered.  Any takers?  I'll provide time and date once things are solidified.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »

Hi Bob,

Sup man, I'll be on tell me when I still have the 897D No AM yet..Yet.. Cool

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »

Bob,

I would certainly be happy to chat with the Cub Scouts.  I was one myself many years ago. 

Just let me know the times and frequency(s) when you decide. 

That's great that they are going to get some exposure to HR and AM in particular.

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »

Prescreening some folks that may want to chat with the kids is a good idea Bob.  Some of the people that volunteer for these sort of things can turn out to be whack jobs.   Wink

--- Post No Bills ---
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »

Hi Sam and everyone else,
Agreed.  That's why I came here.  There's a good group here.

Details need to be worked out with the scout master.  The idea was proposed today so it's in its infancy.   I'll post the details like date, time and freq as time goes.  Should know something by next week.  

Appreciate the interest.  Thanks.
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »

Hi Bob,

Feel free to run a complete background check on me!  I will even pay for it. 

Come on guys, all he is asking for some QSO's to chat with the scouts.  I know when I have run similar events, no body is on the air so planning ahead is good.  Its good to line up some QSO's ahead of time that way they will have people to talk to.  You may want to let them work some DX on 20 meters to show how far Ham Radio reaches out.  Sometimes that's more impressive than talking to someone a couple of hundred miles away.  If you have any digital mode capability that would be another mode that may interest them as well.         

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »

Bob,
        If you are going to have the AM homecoming JOTA, You will have to go and dig up Irb, dust him off, and sit him in front of a mic................  Wink  Wink

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
SM6OID

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »

Hi!

Well, if I have the time, I would be more than happy to have QSO, if you choose a band were it is possible for a QSO that is. With a bit of luck I can get my Skanti TRP-8000 rig ready, 250 W PEP, however, not true AM, only AME.

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

If the mode is AM Bob, count me in. No SSB gear set up currently. Late October would be a great time.

Maybe send out a reminder email or PM to folks to be sure they remember to show up. Would be cool if you could get folks from a number of different areas to amplify the overall range and fun of amateur radio. The 80m portion would be a good area to give it a go.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:40:57 PM »

I have not discussed details with the scout master yet though we floated some other ideas, I agree with you Joe that an AM, DX contact on 20m and even a digital demo would be good.  I was actually thinking the same thing since I've I have been horsing around with 20m RTTY so that would fit in with the kids especially since they're computer oriented.  A sched with Morgan SM6OID would be good too.  I have to think of what will work with my setup here.

Morgan, I'll provide details soon.  The event is still brewing. So stand by. Thanks.

Frank, Irb would've been a "trip" and I know he'd appreciate it but not sure the kids would. Irb would be the channel master so I can imagine the glazed look on the kids face too.  But on the other hand the scouts might appreciate his love of country. Dunno.  Wind chimes anyone!

I've got a couple of PMs from a few of you too.  Appreciate the interest.  Welcome aboard.  I'll keep you up-to-date as time goes.

I did talk with the scout master briefly today and  a few other ideas came out.  One was to build crystal radio sets and the other was to get them to work on their morse code to earn a merit badge.  Again, it's still in the discussion stage but as soon as I talk to  the scout master again and we start making definitive plans I'll have some more concrete  info to share with everyone.  

Thanks everyone.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 07:40:10 AM »

I'll tune back into this thread for the dates, times, and freqs. I would be glad to be another 'contact'........20M would limit QSO's and how many will be able to hear each other.

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »

UPDATE

October 16 will be Scout day here at W1RKW.  The Scout event will start at 1000AM with crystal radio kit building and a CW demo.  The Scout Master wants to get some interest with the Scouts to earn their Morse merit badge.  We figure about 2 to 3 hours for this to take place then we'll go to the transmitter between 1200PM to 1300PM DST and get on the air for some on air local contacts. The plan is to do some 75m AM for a short period and get the kids to chat with the AM gang. Then go to 20m SSB for some DX and RTTY.   Not sure if the 813 rig will be turned on or if we'll go with the FT-102  for everything.  I plan to fire the 813 rig up and sit a Scout or 2 in front of the mic.  

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »

That leaves me out as I'll still be making my way home after NEAR-Fest that weekend. But I'm sure you'll have plenty of stations to choose from.

Hope it goes well and bears fruit.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
SM6OID

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »

Hi!

Well, after having some "problems" with tha Skanti rig, the CPU was very upset and acting very stupid, it seems to be OK now. More testing needs to be done etc, but as I wrote, with a bit of luck, I will be ready (SSB and AME) with 250 W PEP into a inverted L (not very high up).

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »

Over the past three decades it's been customary for special Boy Scout operations to request the use of the K2BSA call sign. I don't know if that procedure is still in effect, but if you'd like to use that call sign you can contact the trustee, James B. Wilson, K5ND, and make the request and see what happens.

Through petition to the FCC I acquired K2BSA for the National Headquarters station in 1968, and it's still in use there.

If you're interested, give it a try.

Walt, W2DU

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »

Here's a perfect candidate for ya to talk to the boys!

* naked.wav (17.63 KB - downloaded 297 times.)
NE4AM

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 03:34:35 PM »

I'll be on the air from Camp Waubeek, in eastern Iowa.  I'll have a battery powered portable station running from camp - SSB and CW only, sri.  I'll have a multiband dipole at about 50' and an NVIS on 40, so sometime or another we should hear each other.  We'll have a crystal radio construction project and kick off a Radio Merit badge program.

73 Dave NM0S

73 - Dave
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »

The Scout Master wants to get some interest with the Scouts to earn their Morse merit badge. .

There is still such a thing??
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »

The Scout Master wants to get some interest with the Scouts to earn their Morse merit badge. .

Ah yes, the "Signaling" merit badge.

When I earned the badge it required Morris Code, wig-wag (Morris using one flag) and semaphore. (two flags like the Navy)
It was not an easy task for a young lad.

Requirements for the Signaling merit badge:

Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device.
Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute. (7 wpm)

Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at the rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.  (4 wpm)

Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.  (6 wpm)
Know the proper application of the International Morse and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.

Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.

The First Class Boy Scout rank also required learning Morris Code. I see it's no longer required:
http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/firstclass.aspx

I later became the "Troop Signalman" with a cool shoulder patch.... Wink  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

" I later became the "Troop Signalman" with a cool shoulder patch.... Wink  "

Do you still wear the patch Huh? ??

klc

What? Me worry?
W5COA
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 08:16:23 PM »

Howdy All,

October 15-16 is the regular official JoTA world wide weekend.

I have set up at my farm with different troops over the past several years. There is lots of JoTA activity, and we have made contacts to FrogNot, Texas to New Zealand, to the aircraft carrier in San Diego.

There was never any need to pre-schedule; just get on and call CQ JoTA or answer one of the anchor stations. The JoTA website has details, and a card or decal log that you can print out. I have printed a batch for the troop that will be participating this month.

If you hear me on, give a call, can operate AM or ssb.

Jim W5COA

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »

I just realized yesterday that the JOTA dates are for the weekend of 10/15 and 10/16.  So much for doing research.  This should be good in the end.

Everything is still 'on' for the morning of the 16th.  

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »

Got a request from the Scout Master (Rich) who is  an ex-ham/ ex-coms officer in the Navy.  He was wondering if anyone would be willing to send a QSL cards.  There are going to be 8 Cub Scouts so that would mean a QSL card for each Scout.  You'd have to send them to/via W1RKW with each Scouts name on them.  Rich or myself will reimburse postage or SASE. We can do contact info through email if necessary.  

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
NE4AM

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 11:21:58 AM »

Ah yes, the "Signaling" merit badge.

When I earned the badge it required Morris Code, wig-wag (Morris using one flag) and semaphore. (two flags like the Navy)
It was not an easy task for a young lad.

Requirements for the Signaling merit badge:

T

Alas, the Signalling merit badge is no more.  It was re-activated as a 'historic' badge last year during the 100th anniversary of scouting, but you had to complete it by Dec 31 of last year.

73 Dave

73 - Dave
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »

The Cub Scout event went well.  The Scouts (fathers) built their crystal radio sets and we got them working but signals were very weak, guess it wasn't the best time of day. 

We got on the air on 10m.  DX was hot out of Europe.  The Scouts were fascinated with the DX. We tried 75m AM but the FT102 would not cooperate so we listened while talking about other things about ham radio. 

Since it was a  JOTA weekend we attempted to listen in on the ISS since it was participating in  JOTA.  I had  built a 3 element quad point to the east. The ISS was over Europe. Unfortunately, no luck there.

QSL cards which were curious topic for both the adults and kids.

All in all it was a success despite the rig failure later on.

I contacted Ray of ER Mag to ask if he'd publish the event.  He was excited about it so stay tuned.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015