The AM Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:02:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K4HX recorded today on 40 meters  (Read 9594 times)
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« on: October 16, 2011, 04:27:14 PM »

I can't transmit from my present location -- my antenna is in a noisy location and is hidden on a fence only three feet off the ground -- but K4HX had such a big signal on 40 meters this afternoon that I was able to record him in my modified Racal 6790's full 20 kHz bandwidth:

http://liberty.3950.net/K4HX_20111016_0330pm_7295kHz_20kHzBW.mp3

Excellent sound, with an intense high end reminiscent of K3ZRF.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

Any sync detect on that, Kevin ?

If not, the reception at this selectivity is all the more impressive with this kind of s/n ratio during certain moments.

WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »

It's the standard Racal pseudo-sync detector (some call it a synchrodyne) in which the received signal is heavily limited and then applied to the carrier input of a product detector. It's inferior to a real sync detector. Although it does stay linear with large positive peaks, and it can't ever lose sync, it is no help during deep selective fades compared to a diode, and it causes noticeably more distortion than a diode detector if presented with in excess of 100% negative modulation (actual carrier cutoff).

All the credit goes to Steve for, on peaks at least, providing a full-quieting carrier!

Kevin, WB4AIO.

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:28 PM »

Where Freq?  7.160 or 7.290ish?

edit:  Nevermind.. I see the header says 7290 Smiley

" KALIEDOSCOPE FOUR HALF-TRACK XYLOPHONE! "  Cool  Beautiful Steve!

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »

WOW Steve must have something BIG there.........and it doesn't sound like a Flex.....200% pos?Huh I like the room sound....like the old SW broadcast of yesteryear...

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »

Great sound Steve, as always!

I remember a few years ago putting a 40M element on the antenna at the cabin. Turned on the radio and there you were calling CQ on 7290. Another S9+20 siganiganal!

Great job.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »

What's amazing to me is the lack of any buzzies, static, TV horizontal, etc.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »

Thanks for the high quality recording. It's always instructive to hear how your own signal is received another location.

After Todd and I signed, we went and sat on the outside deck for a while and enjoyed the FB WX.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »

It amazed me too -- especially considering how close the antenna is to a whole row of houses with twenty-five zillion digital devices running at the same time. Raw signal strength is the answer to everything, except maybe love and hunger.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »

Thanks for the high quality recording. It's always instructive to hear how your own signal is received another location.

After Todd and I signed, we went and sat on the outside deck for a while and enjoyed the FB WX.

You're welcome. Your signal looked good on the scope too -- makes me think you are using an effective peak limiter.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »

Raw signal strength is the answer to everything...

This is basically the only weapon we have left in the arsenal against consumer garbage appliance RFI.
That and special receiving methods involving antennas with deep nulls, and phase shifting/nulling networks.

On-going, having a strapping signal is one of the top ways to stay in the game.  Under top condx and the right time of day etc. 50 w. can still work but averaged out over time, QRO wins.   

I'm seeing this with bc stations in the mw band.  It's getting to the point where the minimum is 5 KW for a listener friendly signal; depends on the tx site, dial spot etc. but even 50 KW stations can get RFI induced signal degredation in their primary coverage areas now.. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

Yes we did! A cold 807, some salsa and chips, and a blue sky, 70-something-and-sunny day that couldn't be beat. Not a bad way to end the Six Days of NEAR-Fest.  Grin

It was pretty amazing how much activity there was on the higher bands Sunday. 10, 15, 20 meters all had plenty of good signals. Even heard a few AM signals on 10.

TNX for posting the recording, Kevin. The fellow who responded to Steve's CQ was returning to the bands after a long hiatus by the sounds. We also talked with Russ, 'FAU on 40 a bit before that.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »

Good call. Using a CRL PMC 300.

Your signal looked good on the scope too -- makes me think you are using an effective peak limiter.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »

What is your transmitter Steve? Nice sounding rig!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »

Terry,

Stupid question... Go back and listen to the audio clip AGAIN!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »

Steve, how do you like the PMC-300?  I've wondered how it compares to the later models.  They show up from time to time on eBay.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »

Yep, nothing like a strapping signal. The recording below is one of the best SNRs I've heard in a long time, maybe ever. It's Tim - W3TIM on 160 meters in the early evening a few years ago. He is so strong there is almost no noticeable band noise during most of the recording.

It amazed me too -- especially considering how close the antenna is to a whole row of houses with twenty-five zillion digital devices running at the same time. Raw signal strength is the answer to everything, except maybe love and hunger.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

* w3tim18dec080315z1885.mp3 (1263.5 KB - downloaded 189 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »

I've been using it for something like 14 years. I guess I like it.

Steve, how do you like the PMC-300?  I've wondered how it compares to the later models.  They show up from time to time on eBay.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:38 AM »

You feeding to that 1kD Front, back or Center Steve?

C
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

I’m feeding the audio directly to the balanced modulator via a jack on the back.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

Terry,

Stupid question... Go back and listen to the audio clip AGAIN!

You know Ralph, I went back and listened to the clip again and indeed did get the type of transmitter that he was using. I think it would have been much easier if you would have just reminded me that it was a certain type transmitter rather than to command me to go listen again! I get really offended when anyone uses the word "stupid" when it is in reference to me!

But I still think  your a great guy Ralph Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

I’m feeding the audio directly to the balanced modulator via a jack on the back.

THanks. I ran some tests with my 1Kd a few years back. Once you do that, Its a damn nice AM rig.  Sounded good man!

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015