The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:04:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Belden 735A1  (Read 2146 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: October 12, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

I ran into a cousin selling at the nutmeg flea who handed me two partial spools of Belden 735A 75 ohm coax. He used them on a contract job and was going to scrap them if nobody wanted the stuff. It turns out the stuff sells for about $4 a foot. He said they are used for data but never saw 1/8 inch coax like that.
Looks perfect for RX antennas. #26 solid center conductor
Anybody know where it is used?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »

I had some of that here. I looked up the ratings and saw a max of 300 volts.  Off to the recycler it went.  It also had a high DB loss. I cant remember the specs.

C
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:04:17 AM »

I once passed up a freebie that I still kick myself for.  A near-by ham had a roll of coax that looked about the size of RG-11 from the outside, but the inner conductor was tiny stuff, about #20 gauge.  It must have been pretty high Zo.  Would be ideal for something like interstage coupling or coupling a high impedance output VFO to a transmitter some distance away.  It didn't occur to me at the time that the stuff might serve any useful purpose, so I didn't take it.  Now it is probably unobtanium.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »

I picked up a bunch of data coass some years back and never found out what it was called. It was from an early inter-office network. It is exactly the same size as RG-58, but it has a teflon dialectric and outer sheath and the shield braid is just plain copper (not silver plated). The jacket is a tan colored transparent teflon.

It is great stuff for making short patch cords and jumpers, also coax runs under the chassis of a project. Being the teflon dialectric, you can wail the heat on it when soldering it and it won't melt.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »

I cut it open and looks very well shielded. It will be make great for RX antennas.
Attenuation looks good but DC resistance of a #26 center conductor a bit high for very long runs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015