The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: its getting smug in the shack  (Read 28882 times)
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« on: October 08, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »

it is on its way, my smug delivery should be early this week.
I purchased the smug 3000
it should drive the E rig fine and maybe even get me talking on SSB  Grin

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »

Maybe you can be the one that hacks the 3000s Bandwidth limitation.  This way, You wont sound like donald duck like the rest of the 3000 users  Embarrassed

C
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

i will play around with it when i get it, I used to have the flex 1000 and it was as wide as you wanted it to be.
I wont be modulating it most of the time, just using it as a driver for my big rig, and also as my receiver.
i heard the limitations were in the firmware, not the software so it my not be possible
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »

If you've heard N3WWL, then you know how good a 3000 can sound.

Some people just can't stop showing their ignorance.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:37:54 PM »

I think you'll have a lot of fun with it Blaine. With the later versions of 2.x.x that install firmware supporting wider bandwidth you'll be 4.5 + 4.5 which works out great. Most of the time I run 5.0 + 5.0 which is certainly not much different. As Steve said, Jay's signal is very nicely set up, and very pleasant to listen to. I'll look forward to hearing you making some noise with it shortly!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »

So Flex will come out of the dark ages and harvest their next design from HPSDR but they can't share the TNF function with us. Dirt bags
So much for open source as long as they can  make a buck.
SDR5000 was almost a copy of HPSDR interface except they went from USB2 to fire wire.
we are 100T ETHERNET and 1 jumper away from 1000T
Wanna bet they copy direct sample next
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:17:14 PM »

So Flex will come out of the dark ages and harvest their next design from HPSDR but they can't share the TNF function with us. Dirt bags
So much for open source as long as they can  make a buck.
SDR5000 was almost a copy of HPSDR interface except they went from USB2 to fire wire.
we are 100T ETHERNET and 1 jumper away from 1000T
Wanna bet they copy direct sample next

They're running a business not a diddle shop. "Almost" only counts in horseshoes and grenades. Maybe next generation Flex boxes will have direct sampling. I'm not sure they could do it with the present hardware but they've surprised me more then once.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »

it is on its way, my smug delivery should be early this week.
I purchased the smug 3000
it should drive the E rig fine and maybe even get me talking on SSB  Grin

Great news. Welcome aboard the smug train. It seems we're adding more "AM cars" every day.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:51 PM »

Please remember Blane, what Smug is spelled backwards Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »

Please remember Blane, what Smug is spelled backwards Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed
YUP us old guys beating our GUMS hahahaha
And do not fret with the 'limited' BW. I have heard Mr Jay on his 3000 and I would be hard pressed to say that it's a night and day thing with his audio. If we were playing music, then yes, you might hear a difference if you lived 10 miles from the transmitter. Once there is distance and atmospherics and sky wave all bets are off.
The Smuggness is spreading. I hear more QSO's with ops using Flex this or Flex that.
Mostly rich guys with Flex 5000's.
I'm happy with Jay's OLD 1000......nice box and the latest Power software.
I'm a bottom feeder
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 09:30:57 PM »

I'm happy with Jay's OLD 1000......nice box and the latest Power software.
I'm a bottom feeder
Fred

Nah... It's more like you're cruising the highway in a 1966 Corvette with low mileage Fred.

Rob W1AEX

WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »

They harvest ideas from the diddle shop. At least they could share a software function with the people who designed the 5K for them. The 1000 was a nightmare of production support for FLEX. HPSDR built the Janus interface to get away from sound card issues. The Janus card, a computer board and the 1000 RF section and you have a 5K.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 11:56:33 PM »

The diddle shop is just copying ideas about 10-15 years old in the real SDR world. Direct sampling is just one and it's old hat. So stop beating your chest Frank. You're only going to hurt yourself.  Smiley
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »

No Donald Duck sound from my 3000. Even prior to the bandwidth limitation of 7.2k.  The limit was extended to 9k several upgrades back.  9k is plenty of bandwidth for me along with the tremendous positive peaks the 3000 is capable of.  Thanks for all the audio comments...
ab3al
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »

ugum mugum me tarzan .... me radio got bigger ungowa than yours
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 11:54:33 AM »

9k is plenty!  Good news!  I will let the local guy know he can upgrade.  He shows about 5 or maybe less and sounds like hell. He never uses it much because of that.

C

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »

Tell him to grab version 2.2.3 Clark. That will also fix the long-standing AGC issue with AM reception. It's pretty much a set and forget deal now for most conditions and signal strengths. If he runs AM linear, warn him to set the TX drive control to "0" the first time he transmits in AM, and then slowly move the drive control up. Currently, the drive control produces far more carrier power on AM than before and that's caught a few guys who use grid-driven amplifiers by surprise.

Rob

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »

Thanks rob. I am sure he will be pleased. I will just forward this to him on email now.  He has a nice audio setup into the 3k. At 9k the 3000 should get the sound he wants.

Thanks again

Clark 

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »

Hi Rob,

Is the fix for the 3K in PowerSDR or is it contained in a firmware update? Just curious but if it is firmware Clark's buddy might have to dig just a bit deeper for his fix.

Best regards,
Mike

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »

Hi Rob,

Is the fix for the 3K in PowerSDR or is it contained in a firmware update? Just curious but if it is firmware Clark's buddy might have to dig just a bit deeper for his fix.

Best regards,
Mike

The Flex 3000 transmit bandwidth increase was first announced in Beta PowerSDR 2.0.6, July 22, 2010. See http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=339   SEE ITEM US12.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »

Thanks rob. I am sure he will be pleased. I will just forward this to him on email now.  He has a nice audio setup into the 3k. At 9k the 3000 should get the sound he wants.
Thanks again
Clark 

You mean you didn't tell him to set it on longer screws and vacuum hose spacers  Huh  Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »

Hi Rob,

Best regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

As you suspected, the TX bandwidth is set by the firmware. The newer versions of PowerSDR package the firmware right in the PowerSDR installation program. After you run the update installer, the first time you start up the new version of PowerSDR it will detect that the firmware needs to be upgraded, and it simply asks you for permission to go ahead and take care of it. All you have to do is yawn and click "Yes" and 15 seconds later you are done. They have pretty much automated the whole process and made it very simple to run an update. Not being smug or anything, just tellin' it like it is...

:O)

Rob

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:08:43 PM »

He seemed to understand what to do and said he would do the updates tonight. He told me to thank you guys. He had no idea they changed the bandwidth.

Thank you.

Clark
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

He seemed to understand what to do and said he would do the updates tonight. He told me to thank you guys. He had no idea they changed the bandwidth.

Thank you.

Clark

Tell him to bookmark the Flex home page, http://www.flex-radio.com/
PowerSDR announcements, plus listing of latest Release, are shown there. With each new Release, there is a separate file for Release Notes (tells you what they fixed/undated/changed/etc.) The Release Notes also provide you with procedural information, depending on model, on loading the software, firmware, when to turn on the equipment, etc. Read the Release Notes before proceeding. It can save you a world of hurt and frustration.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 09:30:36 PM »

You are so right HUZ but only been a short while for us people on the outside to afford good fast A/Ds
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015