The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Even More Expert-HRO-Advice Needed  (Read 1641 times)
ashart
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »

This is getting downright embarrassing, but what a great resource this AMFONE site has become.  I'm asking so many questions that if I ever answer one, nobody will believe I know anything!

Ok, here's my next question:

Adjusting the phasing control, as described in Paragraph 4 on Page 17 of my HRO-60 manual, gives a problem.  I've got a satisfactory null at 0 on the knob, but the other null is not 180 deg. away as prescribed.  It's more like 120 deg.

C36 moves the nulls to and fro as is proper, but is now tightened down as tight as it'll possibly go, when using my biggest screwdriver.  One more foot-pound and I'll probably twist the shank of my tuning tool into a tight spiral or ruin my receiver, whichever comes first.  

It appears as if one or more caps inside the filter can may have drifted, but I really don't want to try to take that can all apart if I can avoid it.

What operating problems might this cause?

As always, relevant comments ernestly solicited!

-al hart, w8vr
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:01:18 PM »

At zero degree null, with the carrier exactly centered in the IF passband (ie the xtal freq), the phasing cap should be at exactly mid-choke.  Either you don't have the carrier centered on the xtal freq or the knob is a bit off adjustment.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about this at all.  If the xtal phasing and filter is working correctly other than this, I'd call it a day rather than taking it all apart, messing with it, running the risk of damaging something in the process.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015