The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:51:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taylor transmitter ?  (Read 21071 times)
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

And then there's "Lady GaGa"...       Yeeetchhh ! ...  Tongue  Tongue

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
vincent
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »

What about the "BABA"?
I am sure that Frank knows of what I am talking about!

http://www.baba.it/
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »

What about the "BABA"?
I am sure that Frank knows of what I am talking about!

http://www.baba.it/

Man........................all the good stuff I can't have anymore Cry  Cry

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
vincent
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 05:28:58 AM »

Hi Frank,
sorry to hear that but I didn't realized exactly what was your problem.
Again sorry.
Regards.
Vincent.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »

Hi Frank,
sorry to hear that but I didn't realized exactly what was your problem.
Again sorry.
Regards.
Vincent.

Vincenz,
            I have diabetes and liver disease. Controling the diabetes is the key to keeping the liver in check. But.......................... I do cheat occasionally, especially for "special occasions". Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.  Grin  Grin

You know how it is, "Vino bono, panne fresca".............................. Grin  Grin

vincent
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:10 AM »

Hi Frank,
I understand very well your problem; I have a friend (a ham) that has the same problem (diabetes). This guy was eating Every Day a dozen of pastry (babas, etc.) and he did this for YEARS! Now, of course, he gets some problems.
I always agree with you about “Vino buono, etc…….etc”!!!
Regards.
Vincent.
jtfitchSWL
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »

I'm quite sure the transmitter in the original query is a Taylor 50-watt PB-50. I've attached a picture of the same model at Armed Forces Radio Station XMAG, Nanking, where I worked, taken about 1946-8. It served as a backup for a Gates 250-watt broadcast band transmitter.

* 1946-7 Taylor PB-50.jpg (141.65 KB, 511x400 - viewed 427 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »

About a year ago I went on a tour to Alcatraz.  The communicitions/operations room display was set up with a hodgepodge of "communications-looking" equipment, along with some beat-up old office furniture. I recall a Motorola desk microphone and some oddball electronics gear. Smack in the middle was a Heathkit ham transmitter, similar in styling to an Apache but a little smaller.  Maybe a Marauder? When the prison was in operation, I can't imagine what use they would have had for a ham transmitter in the main operations room.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »

The "average tourist" isn't supposed to know the difference......  Shocked  Wink

KA3EKH

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »

Maybe having to use that Heathkit Mohawk and Apache junk was part of the punishment? Never used any of that stuff myself and thought it looked ok, but have read that the radios were dogs. Let's see how far we can change this thread from what it's supposed to be about. What was the issue with the big green heathkits?
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »

I don't know about those Heathkits, but I have a couple of Yaesus (FT-901DM, FT-101, and an FT-101EX) that keep throwing a fit and can be kinda torturous to run, especially the 901, that thing does not want to put out power half the time, it will tune fine then throw a fit and not want to work. My good 901 that I've modified for better audio works perfect (now that i've said that, the next time I get on the air it will decide to be uncooperative). The other three I'd like to haul upstairs and throw them out the second story bathroom window (about a 30 foot drop straight to the ground with nothing to stop them).

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »

Maybe having to use that Heathkit Mohawk and Apache junk was part of the punishment? Never used any of that stuff myself and thought it looked ok, but have read that the radios were dogs. Let's see how far we can change this thread from what it's supposed to be about. What was the issue with the big green heathkits?

If you want to discuss it, start a new thread. Why clog the original thread with something that is totally irreverent. It also makes it a lot easier for members to find the P & M threads in the future if they want to review the pros and cons of those rigs.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 03:46:47 PM »

Actually, the initial reference to Heathkits and Alcatraz was clearly on topic, in response to the original posts regarding staged photos and displays intended for public view, that show bogus communication set-ups employing whatever electronic and radio junk that was conveniently available, stuff that would never actually be used in the subject applications of strategic operations involving POTUS or the administration of a federal prison, but with the assumption that the public or the average tourist never would know the difference.

The hijackers threw in remarks about coo-coo clocks, moo-moo, bang-bang, cous-cous and Lady GaGa.  Closely resembles what you would expect to see any time of day on sites like QRZ.com.

The whole set-up looks bogus.  The large black unit looks more like a piece of GR test equipment of some sort.  Although, the small pointer knobs don't look like GR's.  Can't imagine the President sitting at a piece-of-crap desk, in a corner, trying to run the country in a crisis and trying to do in with the junk that's sitting on that desk.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

Actually, the initial reference to Heathkits and Alcatraz was clearly on topic, in response to the original posts regarding staged photos and displays intended for public view, that show bogus communication set-ups employing whatever electronic and radio junk that was conveniently available, stuff that would never actually be used in the subject applications of strategic operations involving POTUS or the administration of a federal prison, but with the assumption that the public or the average tourist never would know the difference.

The hijackers threw in remarks about coo-coo clocks, moo-moo, bang-bang, cous-cous and Lady GaGa.  Closely resembles what you would expect to see any time of day on sites like QRZ.com.

I was referring to the quote in my post. Please read more intently. We try to be a several steps up from other web forums where anarchy and "knuckle draggers" are common.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA3EKH

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »

I do apologies if my comments appear as “knuckle dragging” or as a pretext to lowering the standards of this forum. With no sarcastic intent let me say that I understand as a list moderator it is your function to intervene, correct and occasionally censor what takes place in this forum. Being a junior member, that is if I may consider myself a member of this forum I may occasionally commit errors in procedures and protocol and that I stand corrected in my flippant comments of the above post.  Much of what I consider humorous is derived from sarcasm, and seeing the developing thread and comments about Alcatraz I could not resist the temptation to post a comment and with that comment ask a question regarding the Heathkit tribe. You are correct in that this would be best suited in the development of a new thread but without the context of the Alcatraz statement the question would have no relevance to me.  I may have falsely assumed that within the confines of the QSO Forum this would be permitted. In reviewing my original post I now see that the line “Let’s see how far we can change this thread from what it’s supposed to be about” was not my best choice of words.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »

IIRC the Marauder is the same size as the Apache and Mohawk.
A two thirds or so size unit may have been a Seneca 6 and 2 metet transmitter.
Maybe they kept VHF stuff around for CD activities. The later Ameco TX-62 was kept around in many public and semi public places for CD.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015