The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QR...OH MY  (Read 18271 times)
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 02:35:44 PM »

A lot of hard work  - but I would not operate it in the same room with the driver. 12 KV DC in that small box?

He must not ever seen a serous arc flash. That control board looks like it's from a 1980 TTL design.

I hope he has serious current limiting primary fusing.

N4lta
KA3EKH

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

Have to wonder about the published numbers and the like, mysterious lack of filter capacitors or choke in power supply? Ok, three phase is less ripple but still expect to see a big capacitor. The 4CX10000 that I have in a HT-20 for FM broadcast requires 500 or 600 CFM minimum of air, around 500 watts of drive for an 18 kW output but that is in class C FM service. How do you suppose they pump 8 to 10 kW thru PL-259 connectors without flash over? What happen if you're not in resonance and you start to build up high RF voltages? Clearances don’t look like they are sufficient for anything beyond 1 kW,  It’s a beautiful looking amplifier but I don’t know if I am buying the whole story, but then again it appears that peak power measurements in SSB are all voodoo anyway.
w1vtp

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »

[<snip>

The photo shows tube, socket, blower, and filament transformer. Its a pretty cheap tube considering what it can do, a bit less than a pair of new 8877's from Eimac. Its also available from China and likely with Eimac supplied tooling
http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/brief/3CW20000A7.pdf
http://tubedata.tigahost.com/tubedata/sheets/164/3/3CW20000A7.pdf

Carl

Now that's what I call a centerpiece worth talking about.  Where does the turkey get hooked up?   Grin
Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »

Where are the filter caps and rectifiers? I saw the row of black things in series, what is that a bleeder? The 4CX10000 looks mighty close to the metal wall, makes me nervous.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »

Where are the filter caps and rectifiers? I saw the row of black things in series, what is that a bleeder? The 4CX10000 looks mighty close to the metal wall, makes me nervous.

There's a 32 mike 6kV cap snuck in under the roller. This whole thing is a little too tight.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 08:06:12 AM »

the only way i would even think about running that thing is if there is at least 100 feet between me and it.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »

The building skill evident is impressive--anything I build is never a showpiece but like others have said, the tight fit of everything reminds me of the current Alphas and the old Dentrons.  I like the broadcast tx method of spreading everything out in a big cabinet.  I don't see why [some] hams like everything crammed together.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »

There is an art to taking an engineers design and making it both manufacturable and servicable. That amp shows miniaturazation and assembly skills but very little else.

A 30" tall table rack cabinet would make more sense if space is at a premium.

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »

if i were to buld that i would spread all the parts out inside a cabinet that was at least 5 foot high, 3 foot wide, and 2 foot deep. obviously someone who likes small compact stuff doesn't plan on working on it very often.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »

Major wood developing looking at the YC156 project..............That is very nice.
I would feel safer with that operating next to me than the mini-10kw TX.

BTW does the FC Commissioners ever look at websites like YC156??
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015