The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:20:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Wonder about Small Wonders  (Read 11517 times)
KA3ZLR
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »

Hi,

I Posted a link to a Small Wonders Build up Someone is Selling and I Wonder
Why there isn't a Link or something put up on the Forum To link us up, to
Sponsor this fun little Kit, I see 40 meter is becoming possible with it

http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/

Now that AM is Being brought back in a Kit Form an also with a VFO kit as well
don't you think it wouldn't be a nice jesture to see AMers sponsor this as a Good
Starter Kit and for the new AMers to see this right off. Smiley

What better place than on the Forum here..Right..? Wrong..? There's plenty of
space on the front page everywhere you look.

I Think So.. Smiley

Whattdaya Tink.

Jack
KA3ZLR
K3ZS

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »

I heard my first Retro-40 the other day.    He was in Indiana talking to a guy in Minnesota, heard him perfectly in central PA.   40M may be a better band for these AM 2W transceivers.
KA3ZLR
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »

And Good Morning Bob, Grin

I don't have enough words to put together about this little Gem and Now 40 Meter too Cheesy
I'm in a Good spot here and I listen intently for the little buggers on the air now..Excellent
with nice audio too..Plus VFO Tuning Kewell...LOL

Me thinks it would be a good idea to hang a link on with us here couldn't hurt and if I have to
I'll be more than glad to Donate a $50.00 Sponsorship to the Forum to get it started. Smiley what
a better way to put my Donation to use...

Anyone else interested in QRP AM Operations...?
Hop on board man. Cheesy

http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/

Jack
KA3ZLR

KA3ZLR
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »

Hi again Bob I Guess nobody else is Interested Oh well Smiley,

I just bought another one with the VFO and the small cabinet... Smiley

It'll be on it's way soon...it's a real fun kit to build.

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »

Jack,

I was e-mailing a bit with Dave Benson of Small Wonder Labs maybe 6 months or so ago.  He is a very interesting and capable engineer.  Late in life he and his wife built a new home for themselves.  That information is on the Small Wonder Labs website. 

I believe his products are very good.  The prices are very reasonable as well.  He has found the "magic spot" between cost and functionality.  Sure things always can be improved, but what he offers for the cost is excellent. 

I can't comment on adding a sponsorship to AMfone.  I suggest you send Steve a PM to get an answer to your question. 

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA3ZLR
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »

Hi Joe, Good afternoon to ya. Smiley

Ya know after I thought about it here I changed my idea to just putting up a Tag line for it
although I would like to see a Link for it up on the forum Maybe some day maybe that's a l
little to much... Oh Brain Damaged me.. Grin..LOL

I just like the little things he comes up with..man Esay builds ...Excellent shipping no problem Service...... a Really cool Guy....

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »

Jack,
Running one of those QRP rigs into a grid driven 4CX250 would do a nice job when conditions were not all that great!   That would be called a Retro Plus!

I believe Dave's company has been around for some time now.  

Joe, W3GMS  

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »

i have a retro 75 here i was building. got the thing built the whole way, transmitter works nice, just have to get back to it and get the receiver working, need a way to get it set up.
shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KA3ZLR
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »

Hey Hi Guys,

Great input on the Little bugger.. Smiley I can't wait for this next one to get here
I just enjoyed building it..and mine did up to 4 watts I adjusted the resting
carrier down and I can't say tuned but it had a better swing to it. Smiley

A Lot of fun building..

Jack
KA3ZLR

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »

I've built a couple SWL rigs, both CW a 20m Rockmite which is QRPp and has a cool built in keyer chip for iambic keying.  Also built an SWL-40 40 meter CW. Both were excellent builds for the money involved, and performed quite well. The SWL-40 got me hooked when I made a QSO into France one evening with 1.5 watts from my bedside using a dipole made from crappy brown twinlead and hb tuner.  I still use the SWL-40 up at the cottage, but with an even crappier antenna.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »

I've built a couple SWL rigs, both CW a 20m Rockmite which is QRPp and has a cool built in keyer chip for iambic keying.  Also built an SWL-40 40 meter CW. Both were excellent builds for the money involved, and performed quite well. The SWL-40 got me hooked when I made a QSO into France one evening with 1.5 watts from my bedside using a dipole made from crappy brown twinlead and hb tuner.  I still use the SWL-40 up at the cottage, but with an even crappier antenna.

We need a new Q sign.  QRP means low power but what about crappy antenna?  I believe 'C' is available.  "Hello, I'm running 100 Watts, QRC, G5RV 10 feet up"  We'd need the opposite which alphabetically should be 'D' but I like 'A' for antenna better.  "Fine business old man. The operating conditions here are QRP, QRA, a Retro 75 feeding a Sterba Curtain.  Good luck with the contest"
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

[quoteWe need a new Q sign.  QRP means low power but what about crappy antenna?  I believe 'C' is available.  "Hello, I'm running 100 Watts, QRC, G5RV 10 feet up"  We'd need the opposite which alphabetically should be 'D' but I like 'A' for antenna better.  "Fine business old man. The operating conditions here are QRP, QRA, a Retro 75 feeding a Sterba Curtain.  Good luck with the contest"][/quote]

Good Stuff Jon. Keep working on the list of new Q codes. It's time for an update and your on the right track! Grin

Mike
KA3ZLR
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »

I've built a couple SWL rigs, both CW a 20m Rockmite which is QRPp and has a cool built in keyer chip for iambic keying.  Also built an SWL-40 40 meter CW. Both were excellent builds for the money involved, and performed quite well. The SWL-40 got me hooked when I made a QSO into France one evening with 1.5 watts from my bedside using a dipole made from crappy brown twinlead and hb tuner.  I still use the SWL-40 up at the cottage, but with an even crappier antenna.

Hi Ed,

I had fun with the last one really looking forward to the new kit. Smiley

Hey what do ya think of this QRP Amp here:

http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phys/latta/ee/6146amp/6146amp.html

Jack
KA3ZLR
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »

QRP amp?  The miniboots was pretty cool A single IRF-510 fet, had RF detection to switch TR. with 1 watt in putout about 5 watts or so.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KA3ZLR
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »

Yea man...and it would fit inside the same case...Kewell.. Smiley

Jack
KA3ZLR
W1UJR
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 07:30:07 AM »

Small Wonders, great company, great products.

Retro 75, fun to build, even more enjoyable to operate!

AM QRP net starting up soon!
KA3ZLR
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »

Hi guys,

I just wana ask one more time you think it would be a gud idea to put a Link over in the
On AMFONE List..?  Roll Eyes

Jack
KA3ZLR

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »

Jack,

As mentioned before that is really Steve's decision if he wants to do that.  Getting peoples comments is fine, but you need to get by in from management!   I would handle that via a PM to Steve.  Its of no use getting comments if its not going to happen from a site management perspective. 

Just trying to help!

Joe, W3GMS 

KA3ZLR
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »

Hi Joe,

I understand you point completely, and I am much obliged but does it hurt to ask, as
I know from e-mail's I've received from members and Non-Members that are Interested
in AM QRP and AM SWL this little item fits in real well. I figure I bring it up I get no interest It goes..

Shame though all those other links "On AMfone" and Not one for QRP Homebrew/Homebuilt.

With all due respect. Smiley

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »

Hi Jack,

Well you certainly can ask anything you want!  So if your inclined to ask again, go for it !!!

With E mail is tough sometimes to express ones comments.  My only point is you can ask until the cows come home and if Steve does not choose to do it, then that's the end of it.

Somehow we wrongly think websites are a Democracy and the majority wins and that's simply not the case.  The owner and administrators of the site determine what they want on and what they do not want on the site. 

You know I am big fan of Small Wonder Lab's even though I have not bought anything from them yet, an notice I said yet!!       

Have Fun! 

Joe, W3GMS

KA3ZLR
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:27 PM »

LOL I will Joe,

I think they're Scared...they're scared because if they put something up I propose
it might be a good ideal, folks might like it AM QRP Homebuilt/Homebrew gotta purpose
it might pull interest in another direction could be a gooder thing for AM.

Can't have that.. Cheesy.,.LOL

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »

Hi Jack,

I respect your thoughts but just see things a bit different.   

Good idea's are good idea's and they stand on there own. 

I don't think anyone is scared of anything.  Site owners can run the show any way they want.  Sometimes users disagree and they have two choices.  They can live with it or start there own website! 

I for one am grateful that Gary W2INR started AMfone and when his tour of duty was over that Steve and others picked it up.  This to me is the best site around.  Excellent technical advice over in the technical portion along with some good postings in the QSO section. 

I view AMfone as going into someone's else's house.  We are there guest.  There are rules to be followed and we follow there rules. 

Again, I suggest that you talk to Steve about your idea's and get his position on what your suggesting concerning Small Wonder Labs.           

Please PM me if you would like to discuss this further. 

Thanks for listening! 

Joe, W3GMS         

KA3ZLR
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »

O.K. Joe,

I reckon a QRP site just isn't Welcome here. Oh well I'm done.

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »

Jack,
How do you know that until you talk to the people that run this site?  Maybe you have and you already have your answer.  Steve is a heck of a nice guy and I am sure he will answer your question. 
Joe, W3GMS

KA3ZLR
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »

I'll go one more time Joe, Smiley

How do I know..? Well I figure it This way this Thread has been going on now for
how long and you have been a Real Trooper with me on this and I appreciate that I
really do but, ya know after 500 and sum reads ya think somebody'd get the message.. Grin

A sutle Hint...maybe... Cool LOL....I'm not gona Bother anyone..

I'm done it's been fun..and I tried nobody can take that away from me

Jack
KA3ZLR

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015