The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75M no QRM  (Read 2593 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:41 AM »

quite an amazing night after the storm.  75m was quiet. QRM from the neighborhood was zero.  Looked out at the sky and it was crystal clear and no light pollution.  

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »

Still very quiet here. No power in the neighborhood.

Time to buy a place in the woods.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »

Noticed that here Saturday night. Got on 80m and had an enjoyable, lengthy chat with K4KYV and K5UJ well into the early hours Sunday. Static was present, but nothing like you might expect. It did build a bit around 2AM Sunday, but was tapering off when I signed out around 2:30. Not sure if it was the sheer size of the storm pushing everything else aside, cooler, drier air being pushed in behind, or if it's a typical result after a hurricane passes by.

It sure was a nice break from the waterfall static down here.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »

Conditions, when I could operate, were very nice on Saturday evening and Sunday.  It's amazing how much man made electrical noise there is, and with so many folks out of power, how quiet it got.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »

Was chatting with Rich N2RY and Gene WA4PGI last evening and Rich mentioned the same thing about his location in NY. I wondered if, as well as the lack of noise-generating consumer junk operating, things like cracked insulators or other line leakage issues play into it? With power out in such large areas, that means no arcing insulators or other hash being generated. Rich was saying that if not for our signals, he would've been outside checking to see if his antenna was down. Aside from a few static crashes here in the south, it was quite nice. I may be back up that way later this week, if so I'll give a listen.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015