The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:14:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Buzzard Parts  (Read 3357 times)
ashart
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »

I've been kicking around ham radio for 70 years, and until hanging round this site, have never encountered the term Old Buzzard Parts.

Can somebody please explain the meaning or origin of the term?

73 de al hart, w8vr.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »

It's a term referring to the true old timers among us, Al. While I can't tell you precisely who or when it started, it's been used for a number of decades on the east coast. I suspect Tim, WA1HLR, may be the originator with his oratory over the years between the then-fictitious W1PW and W1JS. Both calls have since found new owners.

The QSO revolves around two old buzzards having a typical, sometimes stuffy, old buzzard contact, resplendent with old terminology, old mannerisms, and the good wife Mable and her homemade, hot apple PIE. Terms like 'old buzzard contact' refer to this format, and folks like Ozona Bob, Ashtabula Bill, and other operators who were around forever, and could talk endlessly it seemed, resulting in old buzzard transmissions.

This is no doubt an oversimplification, but to the best of my knowledge, that's where it came from.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »

There are lots of words, phrases, acronyms, etc. used around here that many have never heard of. No different then trying to improve your English language usage by listening to CB's Channel 19 and several other channels.

"Old buzzard parts" an endearment term of "old fart stuff"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »

To me it also means "AMish" parts (a term that AFAIK was coined on the fly at a hamfest last year by Lou W9LRS) like high RF current inductors, contactors, big 1 MHz mica caps, big mod iron, anything really built to handle a modulated full gallon with no time limit.  Most anything you'd find in an old KW or more broadcast rig, phasor and ATU.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:37:37 PM »

Parts from the Halycon Days of radio, 1920-1940s.

Not at all intended in a disrespectful manner, quite the opposite!
See this little ditty I penned a few years back - http://www.w1ujr.net/being_an_old_buzzard.htm.

On Being An Old Buzzard

Far from being a derisive or derogatory term, the phrase "Old Buzzard" is oft used as a term of fondness in the vintage radio community. Being an "Old Buzzard" has much more to do with a state of mind than chronological age, but often Old Buzzards are indeed the elder members of the amateur service fraternity.

My first introduction to real "Old Buzzards" was as a young JN at radio club meetings in Lancaster, NY. The real Old Buzzards were the grizzled old timers who stood around the coffee pot, not saying much, but watching everything. They were often intimidating to speak with, and did not suffer fools lightly, but under that crusty exterior beat a heart of gold.

It was the Old Buzzard who loaned a new minted JN a beat up old receiver to copy W1AW. Or gave away a old ARRL Handbook to a newcomer so he could build his first antenna. Sketched out a schematic for the JN's first antenna tuner. Made that a first shaky contact on HF CW with said JN. Was the first to give away parts to help the newcomer with his rig/antenna/receiver/project. Answered countless and often seemingly nonsensical questions from the young JN about every radio topic under the sun.

The prototypical Old Buzzard also saw himself as the guardian of something very special, and though they were willing to impart knowledge, like the Oracle of Delphi, they demanded tribute. But rather than the Oracle's gold, the Old Buzzard was satisfied with simple reverence for said knowledge from newcomers. After all, they were often sharing something which had been a part of their lives since adolescence.

At times, the Old Buzzards requested other tribute, as the young and agile JN was often able to climb a tree, or tower, and repair an antenna, or lift that old boatanchor onto the repair bench, activities which tired old bones could no longer do. Old Buzzards often turned into Elmers, and from Elmers into friends.

I'm sure that each of us can recall a special "Old Buzzard" who was part of our introduction to the amateur service. I had two Old Buzzards, W2UJR, whom I have written about before, and old Tom Watson K2SKJ. Tom gave me my first real CW key, a Nye Master Key, made code practice tapes for me to learn from, and produced a handwritten list of CW procedures, abbreviations and pro-signs. He was an interesting old timer, had his private pilots license, used to own a tail-dragger airplane, smoked like a chimney, was most buzzardly, but had a very good heart. He was an exceptional CW op, a stickler for proper procedure, and used an old Vibroplex bug, complete with corded "wedge" to insert in a hand key.

Bonus Question - Who was your first "Old Buzzard", and what do you remember about him?

73 Bruce W1UJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015