The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:16:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best Company to buy crystals from  (Read 8702 times)
KA3ZLR
« on: August 12, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »

Hi,

Anyone have a Fav they use i'll be needen crystals fro a DX-60 here

TNX
Jack
KA3ZLR
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »

AF4K has a selection of crystals.  

or

Try these -
http://www.icmfg.com/crystals.html
http://www.kenselectronics.com/lists/cbxtal.htm
http://www.mhelectronics.com/index.shtml

Only the Kens & AF4K have prices up front.  The others want to give you Quotes so may be Pricey for limited or single quantities.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KA3ZLR
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »

Hi, Thanks Ed..

Jack
KA3ZLR
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »

AF4K has a selection of crystals. 

Only the Kens & AF4K have prices up front.  The others want to give you Quotes so may be Pricey for limited or single quantities.

Has International Crystals gone out of business? I purchased a couple of oscillator crystals for my 75A-4s 4-5 years ago, and they worked better than the originals.

Many of Brian's FT-243 and larger crystals are actually the small hermetically sealed miniature versions of the HC/6, installed inside hollowed-out original holders.

He guarantees them, and I have bought a couple that turned out to work fine. But I would be a little leery of using one in a high power oscillator circuit like what is found in some of the pre-WWII homebrew projects described in the handbooks, as well as some of the WWII surplus rigs that use a 6L6, 6V6, 802 or 837 as a crystal oscillator.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA3ZLR
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:37:19 PM »

Hi Don,

Shouldn't be to much of a problem in a DX-60 ya think..?

Jack
KA3ZLR
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »

http://www.jancrystals.com/index.html

I've used these people in the past.  The xtals seem to work - that is until you misplace them.  Moved them 5 years ago to a safe place and still cant find them.  The people seem to be nice people and the xtals work.

Al
KA3ZLR
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »

I fully understand that when I pulled everything out of the Viking II I used to have before
I sold it I put mine up too...........someplace it's embarrassing I can't remember man..LOL.
It keeps things interesting...LOL

Jack
KA3ZLR
WA2TTP Steve

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »

International Crystal is still in business. I ordered a xtal 6 months ago for a Motorola Micor and there price was still about the same as almost 20 years ago when I ordered the same type of xtal. Good company as long as you know what type you need.

Steve
KA3ZLR
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:20:33 PM »

Thank You Steve.

Jack
KA3ZLR
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »

I have had excellent results with International Crystal.  A bit pricey but they are excellent quality.  If you give them a copy of the oscillator circuit they will make sure that the xtal will work properly in that circuit.  In fact, they have an amazing amount of Ham oscillator circuits on file. 

I have the same concerns as Don does with AF4K's crystals when used in circuits that exhibit high crystal current.  I don't believe you will even come close with that problem in rigs like the DX-60.  His prices seem good so it may be your best bet from a cost standpoint. 

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
ny1h

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »

I waited 14 weeks for JAN crystals to make me 4 rocks. I got nothing but excuses. I was told that they had shipped them 11 days earlier. My answer to them: I am amazed that my credit card was not charged, Its a miracle.  I cancelled the order and placed a new order with ICM

Life is short, Enjoy the ride.
KD0HUX

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:40 PM »

International Crystal is still in business. I ordered a xtal 6 months ago for a Motorola Micor and there price was still about the same as almost 20 years ago when I ordered the same type of xtal. Good company as long as you know what type you need.

Steve Grin Grin Grin ;SAME HERE
KA3ZLR
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »

I had a Nice experience with the AF4K guy he's on the ball..

Jack
KA3ZLR
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »

Just because we are talking about crystals, I wanted to mention a great company that I have done business with a couple of times over the past 2 years. I did up a commercial SSB rig with a few crystals. Bomar Crystal. they specialize in commercial crystals. For instance if you bought a Motorola Micom and wanted to crystal it up for 60M SSB or an channelized military rig or you were doing up an old FM rig or just needed overtone crystals for a converter, they are very good and inexpensive. 15 bucks a crystal is dirt cheap in today's dollars. They specialize in handling coded crystals for commercial rigs so if you say for instance you want crystals cut to  Moto KXN6123 they have all of the paperwork.  Mike WU2D

Bomar Crystal Company
www.bomarcrystal.com

All makes and models, most crystals $15.00 each, 3 week production.
Two week and 72 hour priority service available.  Minimum order of $50 for all orders plus S/H/I and accept Visa, Master Card and American Express.

Bomar Crystal
201 Blackford Avenue Middlesex, NJ 08846
Phone:
(732) 356-7787
(800) 526-3935

These are the good old days of AM
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »

For VHF / UHF crapstals International Crapstal is the best. They are a little pricey but their stuph is absolutely first rate!! I have never gotten a bad one or one that would not come up to frequency.

For FT-243 HF crapstals, I just grind my own. there are tons of odd frexuency FT-243 crapstals out there at hamfests for pennies each. Just get a few that are below what you want and regrind them to what you want. It is nowhere as difficult as one would think.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015