The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:31:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frick/Fracken FT-102 lost all receive  (Read 12717 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »

I guess I lucked out and never fried a receiver with RF getting into the front end. When I put the BIG Westinghouse on the air, one of the design factors for the antenna change over relay was to install a relay that would short out the RF Rec. line to the receiver, during transmit.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »

I guess I lucked out and never fried a receiver with RF getting into the front end. When I put the BIG Westinghouse on the air, one of the design factors for the antenna change over relay was to install a relay that would short out the RF Rec. line to the receiver, during transmit.
OK Another additional protection that can be implemented in my station very easily...thanks
I have those tiny PICO fuses (used in the older comm shop service monitors) that will pop with micro currents to protect these hard-to-find front-end parts on the RF deck.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »

Oops, hadn't checked this thread in a while, sorry. 

Jerry, as pointed out previously the R75 is equipped with a mute jack on the back. The Viking II and NC-300 are doing well, not seeing a LOT of action here in Summer but I did throw it on 40 early mornings, and on 20/15/10 during the days sometimes if I'm awake.

As far as the R75 mods, I simply sent mine to KIWA for some audio upgrades and the sync detector fix.

http://www.kiwa.com/R75.html

If one isn't afraid of surface mount stuff then check out Phil's page..

http://home.comcast.net/~phils_radio_designs/Phil_R75_Fidelity_Mod.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~phils_radio_designs/Phil_R75_Cookbook.pdf

So anyway, I take the audio from the record jack in the back into my soundcard line input on the desktop computer since it has a nice hi-fi 2.1 stereo sound system.  AMers sound great with up to 15 Khz filter selections.   I have an AM BC station about 4 miles from me that plays oldies and the fidelity is phenomenal  on the R75 for a small power station (90 watts at night)

AMI#1684
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »

When this post came out and I realized I had a problem with the TX section on my FT102 when trying to tune it up.  my rig has the updated relays but that was done years ago.  The larger power switching relays were not part of the original relay modification supplied by Yaesu. 

One of the symptoms exhibited by this was when tuning up, the little light bulb on the ANT input would glow. This was because the ANT relay would not switch.

The  issue with my rig was also a noisy TX 12 volt line. It was floating around 7volts and had noise on it.  Turned out to be the fault of one of the original large relays under the VFO display. Simply squeezing the sides of it made the 12V TX line come to life. Releasing and problem reappeared.  Out came the relay, disassembled it to inspect the contacts, burnished and cleaned. Reassemble and everything works AOK. 

Essentially, any FT102 with the original relays is prone to very weird behavior. Plain and simple the original relays suck.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »

Essentially, any FT102 with the original relays is prone to very weird behavior. Plain and simple the original relays suck.

Indeed. It's a blemish on an otherwise FB radio.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »

Those switching diodes and not far behind the relays.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015