The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:48:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar flare may disrupt GPS  (Read 5324 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 06, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »

On Thursday, the sun unleashed a massive solar flare...

In 2006, research from Cornell University proved that solar flares can cause GPS devices to lose signal. This can cause these devices to temporarily misrepresent your location or otherwise malfunction.

A small error in this article is typical of how the non-technical media nearly always screw up when reporting on something involving science or engineering:
(CNN) -- We're the peak of the 11-year solar cycle, so double-check your GPS, and watch where you're going.

We are not at the peak of the new solar cycle. In fact, we're just barely into it, and so far it has been sputtering and gasping for life much like our alleged economic "recovery".

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/08/05/solar.flare.gps/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »

Yesterday's flare apperaed to completely take out 40M around 8:30 EDT last night, about 10 minutes later, some very fluttery signals started building up in signal strength.  Some remained very fluttery even when at S9 levels as the recovery progressed.  spaceweather.com reported the Kp was up as high as 8.  Must have been good auroral scatter on VHF.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »

Thanks for the link to the article Don. Your comments regarding factual errors brought a smile to my face. It's always fun to read "technical" articles written by so-called "technical savvy" reporters or writers who portray themselves as experts. They often fall all over themselves with tech-speak and nonsense that reveals that they might know a few buzz words but they have no clue what they're talking about. Kinda like the amazing explanation of how the internet works by the late Senator Ted Stevens (The internet is a series of tubes...)

Imagine all the unknowing who still believe everything they see on the news and read on the internet...

:O)

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:12:49 PM »

tubes...)

Imagine all the unknowing who still believe everything they see on the news and read on the internet...

:O)

Rob W1AEX

Thanks Bob,

You have just crushed what little is left of my youth.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 04:05:42 PM »

If the solar flares don't screw up the GPS net, the junk from Lightsquared will. Tongue

Right on that broadband bandwagon ride into radio Hell. Shocked

HF AM  HF AM  HF AM.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »

OK that would explain 40M very weird sounding FRIDAY night around 7PM.

Fred KC4MOP
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 04:17:32 PM »

the reporters and writers probably don't care if they got their facts rights, since about less than one percent of the population is really going to know or care about what they are talking about. more than half the people who did take the time to read the article pobably have no idea what a solar flare is or could figure out why and how it would cause a GPS not to work, or let alone know what exactly the solar cycle is. especially any younger people, the only things they want to worry about in schools anymore is teaching the kids just enough information to get them to pass the tests at the end of the year so that the school can get more money from the state. the only things that got drilled into my head in school were math and reading, anything else might as well be nonexistant.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »

Perhaps the GPS system will place Washington D.C. in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, or vice-versa.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »

Perhaps the GPS system will place Washington D.C. in Liberty Corner, New Jersey, or vice-versa.

You mean Liberty Or?   Wink

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K9PNP

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »

Don:  You referenced CNN.  Nuff said on reliability.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:58:02 PM »

BUNK..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 02:57:10 AM »

Don:  You referenced CNN.  Nuff said on reliability.

FOX, CNN, MSNBC, PRAVDA, take your pick: somebody's "agenda", propaganda blended in between endless blocs of stupid commercials, waste of time.

About every time a newspaper has reported an event with which I happened to be familiar, I have been amazed at how badly they screwed up the details.  Example: an article on radio communications I saw several years ago, where they referred to SSB as "single-sidebar".  Grin

- - -
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »

So who makes a SKED at 9PM Friday night? - Your's Truly GEEEZ. I tried to work my buddy in Atlanta on 40M who complained that he yelled for 15 minutes into dead ether. Of course I picked Saturday morning to test my new Mobile antenna on the AM Military Net on 3885. Again It was a bust with NCS W3PWW Ted, talking to himself when I could hear him at all. Finally last night, the band started to sound more normal and I worked several stations coming home in the mobile.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »

It's always fun to read "technical" articles written by so-called "technical savvy" reporters or writers who portray themselves as experts.

"Hi. I'm not a radio expert but I have played one on TV."  Roll Eyes
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:51:59 AM »

About every time a newspaper has reported an event with which I happened to be familiar, I have been amazed at how badly they screwed up the details.  Example: an article on radio communications I saw several years ago, where they referred to SSB as "single-sidebar".  

Here's another good one I remember from back in the mid-70s during the CB boom. Jack Anderson (SK) a popular investigative journalist of that era, ran one of his weekly columns, titled "Hams Rule the Airwaves".

The gist of his article was that a couple hundred thousand hams enjoyed exclusive use of a wide range of radio frequencies throughout the HF spectrum, while millions of poor old CBers  Cry  were  limited to a small sliver of spectrum in the vicinity of 27 mc/s. This "unfair" and outrageous allocation of radio spectrum was allowed to continue, as a result of lobbying to the FCC and members of congress by a powerful amateur radio organisation known as the ARRL!

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015