The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:49:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converted CBs  (Read 14885 times)
KE1MI
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:25 AM »

Anybody using converted cbs to 10 meters on AM?? Been thinking of putzing with one just for fun. Had an old JC Penny back years ago that had SSB and was converted to 10. Worked the world with an indoor dipole and 5 watts. What a hoot! Where does one listen today on 10AM? Been years since I have been on 10. Always like it, and even when the propagation gods do not smile, 10 is ALWAYS open to somewhere.
Greg KE1MI Grin
K8LEN

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »

I use to use one 20 plus years ago, I remember the wireman when he was in Michigan converted thousands to 10 meters, it worked good on 10, I dont think anyone is in the biz anymore and really not sure how, but there is a chap in Arizona who advertises in CQ I believe will send info to you, I will let someone else let you know on the frequencies.
POB/K8LEN

73<br />POB/K8LEN.......SOUTHERN..INDIANA
licensed since 1958
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

Late 70's and early 80's, 73 Magazine had a number of articles on converting CB rigs to 10 meters.
A Google of "converting cb to 10 meters" turned up lots of hits.

Current band plans floating around detail 29.0 to 29.2 MHz as where you will find AM activity. AM activity has not been bad at all so far this summer on 10 meters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N7BDY

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »

Is there a more specific call frequency for 10 meter AM ?  29 to 29.2 is what they show ,  but that covers a lot of territory  .  Since I need to buy a crystal for this old rockbound CB I have .... what would be a good one to get ?   Huh

Tnx ,

N7BDY
Bob Tadlock 
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »

G,

29.000 is the 'calling' frequency....  if ya only have a few bucks, I'd go for 29.010. You'd probably be close enough to be found, and you would not 'tie' up the calling frequency.....not that most AMers would  mind.

klc

PS, oh yeah, welcome a board.

What? Me worry?
N7BDY

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

Thank you for the kind welcome !   I was kind of thinking that near 29.0  would be best but wanted to check first .  The crystals seem to be cheap  ( like $3.00 apiece so wouldnt break my bank to get several ) Theres a fellow in Florida that seems to be well stocked with inexpensive crystals altho I havnt checked the frequency ranges he offers just yet .  The old CB rig is a Metrotek Pacer II base , old as sin ,all miniature tubes and straight forward circuitry . I have a feeling it would be fairly easy to move it up to 10 meters .  I have looked online but no info to speak of .  If any of you have heard of it or any information  I'd appreciate it .

Incidently I'm sort of a newbie on AM .  I'm about 99.9% CW anymore .   I have worked  a little 80 meter AM  with my 706 ,  and I just bought a DX-60 online  ( havnt even received it yet ) and looking forward to some AM fun with it and an old Hallicrafters receiver  Smiley 

10 seems to be cooking pretty good lately !   

N7BDY  Bob
 48 years hamming

WS4B
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »

The September 2011 issue of CQ Magazine had a article about coverting CB radios for 10 Meter AM written by K7SZ. It was in his "Learning Curve" section on pages 73-78 for those interested.

The article was overall good, but Rich made some frequency reference errors saying that the 10 Meter AM window starts at 29.200, but it was otherwise well written and informative.

(I guess if you are going down in frequency, one could claim it starts at 29.200 Smiley  )
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

"  Incidently I'm sort of a newbie on AM .  I'm about 99.9% CW anymore "

CW is just, real, real narrow band AM.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
WB3JOK

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »

I was kind of thinking that near 29.0  would be best but wanted to check first .  The crystals seem to be cheap  ( like $3.00 apiece so wouldnt break my bank to get several )

I'd like to convert a Telsat SSB-75, but  after perusing the manual, it looks like I would have to replace six crystals (spaced every 50 KHz from 23.330-23.580 MHz) in order for it to work on both SSB and AM (strange combination of synthesizer and mixer frequencies, different on AM, USB, LSB too).

Can you really get crystals these days for anywhere near $3.00? Both International and Jan Crystals' websites just have a quote form to submit.

N7BDY

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:08:39 AM »

There is a guy on e-bay selling crystals for $3.00 apiece , with a few being on 10 meter AM freqs .  Lots of them on 40 and 80 meter CW .   BUT ,  to get specific frequencies for a synthesized rig like yours may be a lot harder to find .  This particular guy has HC49s but I didnt see any freqs you are looking for  Embarrassed

Dont give up ... keep looking something may turn up

N7BDY
Bob
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »

Bob BDY..just a quick question..cud you forward/post a link to whomever is selling "rocks" for $3?..occasionally I do have need as I go thru restoration of various gear..been using Brian AF4K for most everything in that regard(very satisfied) but find even though reasonable a tad more than $3..JAN and International much higher..call it curiosity is all........tnx 73 de DAVE

PS: We DO have a "local" group on now daily more or less on 29.010 AM around 11:00am..visitors very much welcomed!

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
w2ibc
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »

I did know someone who took one of them "illegal" cb radios (2517) changed a crystal. did a realignment (the proper way) and was able to get about all of the 10 meter band. we talked about all summer on 29.015

(hopes i can get my TS-450 fixed soon, and make some more AM contacts)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015