The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:09:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahhhhhh... Wonderful Summer!  (Read 17927 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: July 26, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »

A mid-summer's daydream and everything's in bloom.

When winter comes again, we will yearn for these days.

T

(All pictures taken today, July 26, 2011.)

* DSCF0045.JPG (325.65 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 552 times.)

* DSCF0044.JPG (327.88 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 518 times.)

* DSCF0011.JPG (338.74 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 595 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »

As the warm days go by....

* DSCF0019.JPG (332.65 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 588 times.)

* DSCF0030.JPG (328.5 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 606 times.)

* DSCF0040.JPG (326.87 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 582 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »

...and great band cornditions finally snap us out of our stupors....  Wink

* DSCF0041.JPG (338.12 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 553 times.)

* DSCF0017.JPG (330.36 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 511 times.)

* DSCF0039.JPG (338.76 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 600 times.)

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »

Is that a Cage antenna in the second post, third picture? Looks like it cut for 2 meters?

Great pic, is that now or awhile back?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »

JJ in pix no DSCF0030.JPG of the house did I see the fickle finger of "gate?"  (pointing and JFET,) um hmmm.   Grin

Your right about summer.  I love it too and usually sit outside in the afternoon after chores in the shade reading E Radio or the OTB bulleting, urk.  Boy did the humidity drop today; most delightful.

Speaking of humidity, notice that alarmist TV wx reporting, usually with agenda, loves humidity heat factor in summer and chill factor in winter?  Yes, "As the ratchet turns."

RICK  *W3RSW*
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »

summer is my least favorite season.  sorry to be a wet blanket.   Give me winter any day over summer. 

if it weren't for antenna work and hamfests, summer would be completely pointless.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:00:49 AM »

I can understand that in the south.

We usually have one or two very hot (by our standards) months, but every year is different.  After all the crippling snows last winter, summer seems almost nice.

So I plowed snow on the driveway all winter and rake, shovel and move driveway gravel all summer from the seemingly constant rains this year.   It does seem wetter than normal.  Oh, last summer was very cool and wet.

When I was a kid, we'd go for months without rain. Dad would hand us a cake of soap and sic us outside when it finally rained. We'd get in the ditches of a nearby, grassy field and wash up. No kidding.

Our well was plumbed into the house's cold water piping and rain water was collected into a cistern for the hot.  So the well'd go dry if used too much and the cistern water (5000 gal. buried tank) would turn into a dead, leafy smelling mess as the summer wore on.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »

Rob,

Summer can be painfully hot and humid, no doubt.  It's easy to get sour on summer. I used to feel the same way until I took up canoeing and kayaking. Now the best memories of the year are of exploring strange and new places.  There's nothing like launching in a new place - a river, the shoreline, a new lake, etc.  There's usually water somewhere in every state to explore.

A brand new, inexpensive, plastic kayak can be had for about $100 - and  better quality can be found used for cheap too.  THAT is the key to enjoying summer for me. Pack a lunch (or stop by Subway) and head out. I use Google satellite view maps to locate and plan out each new "exploration."

Designing new sails, outriggers and other accessories and running "sea trials" is also part of the fun - almost like homebrewing, in a way. There's no need to own a yacht to have fun out there.

Terry, the previous pics were taken yesterday.

Rick, yes, it's a perfect cool day here too. The T-storms made short work of the humidity yesterday... Grin

T

* 4X1 Rig 216.jpg (320.5 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 558 times.)

* 4X1 Rig 209.jpg (325.79 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 573 times.)

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »

Beautiful place Tom, Was that an old farm? It looks like the house is an older style well maintained, I might add Grin Grin Grin

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 11:42:19 AM »

Great pictures Tom!  A very nice home and property.  Looks peaceful !!
Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »

Maybe a bug catcher?  I'm curious too.

T, what kind of camera do you have? It takes nice pictures.  Your flower gardens look great.

Is that a Cage antenna in the second post, third picture? Looks like it cut for 2 meters?

Great pic, is that now or awhile back?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »

Those are homebrew bird feeders, Bob.  I use plastic trays for the top and bottom and Plexiglas for three sides. They are lashed together with drilled holes and #24 wire.  There's two hanging out there using rope and the birds love 'em... Wink.

The camera is a five year old FugiFilm FinePix that cost maybe $300 back then. Just a standard digital camera. Yes, those first two flower pics came out quite good. The rest are nothing special. As they say, a photographer may get one excellent shot out of thirty or so...

Terry, this is an old farmhouse built in about 1910 that originally had 94 acres. Ninety acres were donated to a landtrust leaving four acres. The house is surrounded by thousands of acres of landtrust and state forest land.  The house has its minor problems, just like many older houses.

T

KA2DZT

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »

Tom,

Great pics of Yaz in the sailboat.

The one thing I'm not real clear on, is how did you teach Yaz to sail a boat by himself??

Fred
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »

summer is my least favorite season.  sorry to be a wet blanket.   Give me winter any day over summer.  

if it weren't for antenna work and hamfests, summer would be completely pointless.

Maybe your winter is like our summer??  Winter around here is 10 degrees below zero days (not many, but some) with average temps well below freezing.  Lots of snow and ICE! Summer here is gentle and warm except for the severe thunderstorms that come through once in a while.  

The ONLY good thing about the winter is that it kills off all of the bad stuff (like the alligators, scorpions, fire ants, etc.) you guys in the South have to deal with.  And that's pretty important at least to me, who spends a lot of time outside hiking, and whatever.

The main problem here, is winter is almost 1/2 the year, and that's quite a bit.

Sherrie's mother lives in Georgia.  She comes up here and spends several weeks with us, during the hot Georgia summer, and a couple of weeks with each of the other daughters, who all live either in New York state (upstate) or in Massachusetts.

We go here in the summer - Rattlesnake Island (the rattlesnakes are gone as of 1947 or thereabouts).  Rob, if it gets too hot where you are, c'mon up to the island sometime and have an eyeball QSO, swim (the water is crystal clear), take the kayak or sailboat out and enjoy !!  We've had some gatherings of the local N.E. hams over on the island, but no imports from the hotter climates yet  Cheesy

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Steve QIX, I was about to report you to a moderator, you look like your having too much fun! You know there are people on here who can't stand that sort of thing Wink Wink

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:38:47 PM »

Yep, looks like he IS having too much fun, Terry... Grin

Got any pics of your sailboat and kayaking activities to post, Steve?

T

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »

I'm in N. Illinois.   I don't like yard work  I'd rather clear snow off the driveway than do yardwork. 

Summer --->  bugs, west nile virus, ozone action alerts, tornadoes, birds pooping on your car, humidity, lightning, yard work, sweat, grime.

Winter --->  bugs are dead, birds flown south, lower QRN, wx outside cool crisp and dry.  I can leave antennas hooked up and everything plugged in (mostly).  it gets inconvenient when it gets down to minus 20 or lower, and I'm not wild about lots of snow every other day but once we get through Nov. and Dec.things settle down for a while, but not long enough.   By early to mid-March the advantages of winter are quickly disappearing. 

I agree with Tom--the secret to enjoying a season is to develop activities that exploit its offerings.  I should get a kayak and go out on the river that flows by my house.

Lots of folks around here dread winter and the reason is they have no activities like low band ham radio that allow one to look forward to and enjoy winter.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »

Lots of folks around here dread winter and the reason is they have no activities like low band ham radio that allow one to look forward to and enjoy winter.

maybe they don't have the brains to become a ham but just about anyone can make beer! why not engage them in beer making and then you all can swap story's on the last batch and the women with the nice legs etc??

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »

Yep, looks like he IS having too much fun, Terry... Grin

Got any pics of your sailboat and kayaking activities to post, Steve?

T

Hi Tom,

I probably have some pics somewhere.... Certainly do a lot of sailing here, but usually Sherrie is with me, so there's no one to take the picture.  I have a couple of Sherrie at the lake, but not in the sailboat or kayak - just swimming, etc.

Like Tom says, enjoy each season as it comes.  I agree Rob, the low static level and long distance 75 meter propagation is always fun.  The snow plowing and ice storms - well, that's another story, but without the cold we'd have some pretty bad stuff up here in N.E.  The cold kills most of it off.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »

We have 2 seasons in Ohio.
Huntin' and No huntin'!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

We have 2 seasons in Ohio.
Huntin' and No huntin'!

It depends if you is huntin 2-legged deer or 4-legged deer  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

It ain't just deer, Slab.

Squirrels, rabbits, peasants, turkey, grouse.......
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »

It ain't just deer, Slab.

Squirrels, rabbits, peasants, turkey, grouse.......

Hunting grouse, hell you don't have to look too far, there are quite a few here  Grin Grin

But hunting peasants sounds like fun  Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

At this QTH Summer is motorcycle and hamfest season.   Cheesy

Fall is gas engine season!  Cheesy

Winter is ham radio and couch potato season.    Grin

Spring is grass cutting season  Shocked  Tongue   

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »