The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:37:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange circuit On Viking II  (Read 7900 times)
w5gw

« on: July 20, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »

I acquired another Viking II yesterday.  It has a 'scab-on' chassis attached to the shield above the crystal bank.  It has a 12AU7 and one control pot.  There was a ruff circuit diagram in the documentation that came with it. But it really doesn't describe the circuits function. One of the notes says "VFO Xmitt Key Gnd When Closed" Does this correspond to any known modification anyone is aware of? Six wires come from this and are dispersed throughout the Viking.

Also, the dial cord is in pretty bad shape - is there a good place to get dial cord, or is there an adequate substitute?

Thanks,

Gary - W5GW
kg8lb
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »

Seems I may have seen that one on eBay  Huh Could it be the updated CW keying circuit ?

Radio Daze had dial cord, last I looked. You can also find Dacron line on the internet.
w5gw

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »

Not from eBay, I got it from a local ham who hasn't used it in 25 years and he can't recall what it's function was either.

He used it only on phone so it was likely there when he got it.

I was thinking some type of VOX attempt, but no relay and no lines to what could be a relay. 

But a CW keying circuit may make sense.

73 Gary - W5GW
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »

Id do a search on grid block keying mods. Also see what the factory used for the Ranger update.

Carl
w5gw

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »

Carl,

Thanks - looks like there was a grid block mod that Johnson sold as an add-on for Viking II and Is.  BAMA had the kit instructions and wiring diagram - looks like this is what I have.

73 Gary W5GW
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »

Gary said:
Thanks - looks like there was a grid block mod that Johnson sold as an add-on for Viking II and Is.  BAMA had the kit instructions and wiring diagram - looks like this is what I have.

Not only for the Vikings but for the original Ranger I they made an ad-on kit for a grid block keying circus.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »

As I said yesterday  Wink

Also see what the factory used for the Ranger update.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »

Carl, I indicated that this was in a kit form. Not everyone knows that there are actually 3 Rangers, I, I.5, and II. The I.5 incorporated the grid block keying circuit. It was also offered in kit form, (I have only seen 1 in my lifetime), for the Ranger I.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »

Actually, there were four Rangers, although the Ranger II had different band coverage, different tubes, different paint scheme, and assorted circuit differences. Only the early Rangers required the "keyer mod" which actually consisted of two  tubes (12AU7 and 6AL5). The 12AU7 was used as the "keyer" and the 6AL5 as a bias rectifier. After the installed keyer circuitry became standard going forward, there were two versions of this Ranger. Not major changes, but enough for Johnson to re-issue the schematic again.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kg8lb
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 06:24:53 AM »

As I said yesterday  Wink

Also see what the factory used for the Ranger update.

And I referenced about 2 hours before that  Wink

BTW, Still need the dial cord ?
w5gw

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:01:46 AM »

BTW, Still need the dial cord ?

No, I picked up some heavy weight fly fishing line from a friend - don't ask me what it is, it wasn't marked.  But looks like a dacron of some sort.

thanks - Gary
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »

I was just kidding around Mike Grin

BTW, there was a Ranger and a Ranger II; other numbers were designated later.

Carl
kg8lb
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »

Yes , Ranger and Ranger 2 but there were 3 variations of the Ranger before the Ranger 2 appeared.
as Carl said, the Ranger "1" designation was an afterthougt to describe the original version(s). Perhaps 1A, 1B, and 1C would help even further.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »

And then there is the so called Viking 1.5 with the 6146 subassembly available as a kit from Johnson. I wouldnt give a number to the 829B "mod' as that was an emergency temporary fix when the USAF claimed all 4D32 production.

I consider myself lucky as I never had a Ranger or Valiant of any flavor Shocked, just V I's and II's.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »

Yes , Ranger and Ranger 2 but there were 3 variations of the Ranger before the Ranger 2 appeared.
as Carl said, the Ranger "1" designation was an afterthougt to describe the original version(s). Perhaps 1A, 1B, and 1C would help even further.

Johnson never tagged the original "Viking Ranger", in any revision, as anything else other then "Viking Ranger".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kg8lb
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »

Strange circuit on Viking 1:http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnson-Viking-Transmitter-/220818515841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3369cf2781
kg8lb
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »

as Carl said, the Ranger "1" designation was an afterthought to describe the original version(s). Perhaps 1A, 1B, and 1C would help even further.

Johnson never tagged the original "Viking Ranger", in any revision, as anything else other then "Viking Ranger".

Did you think I said otherwise ? They did however print 3 versions of the Ranger manual as I recall to cover the variations of the original "Ranger" .

The original "Ranger" later assumed the unofficial moniker "Ranger 1" .   I was speculating that "Perhaps" we could even break down the "Ranger" into 3 subgroups according to the revision order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015