The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:32:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Mode - Looks Interesting  (Read 4706 times)
AJ1G
Contributing

« on: July 16, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »

Saw a link to this at spaceweather.com.  A sky watcher in the Canary Islands saw a big green laser trace and this is what it was...not clear to me why if they were working a  terrestrial link 144 km away between two islands the beam seems to pointing up so high in the sky though.

http://www.quantum.at/research/quantum-teleportation-communication-entanglement/entangled-photons-over-144-km.html

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »

Chris,

You mentioned launching at Barns Island, RI. Just in case you planned on doing it tommorow, I will be there (Sunday) at around 11AM, depending on traffic, and will be on the water sailing all day.  You can't miss us with Yaz onboard...  Grin   

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »

Won't be able to be on the water tomorrow but will try to stop by down at the Barn Island launch around 1100 to check out your rig, and introduce Yaz to Yogi.

Did you check out the link to the ESAs work with entangled photon comms?  The discussion is way over my head, have no idea how they are doing what they say they are doing...

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:58 PM »

Chris,

No, didn't check out the link yet.... I'll look tmw night.

The 11:00AM time is not firm, as it depends on when I get up and how the trip down goes, etc.  I just thought if you were kayaking you wud look for us.  It's also a mad house at the boat launch on a summer weekend - at least it was last weekend.

I may bring the camera and take some shots this time... Grin

The winds look 10-15mph from the SW - perfect!
http://www.city-data.com/forecast/w-Stonington-Connecticut.html

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:04:16 AM »

Looks like I will be at work this morning and then heading up to Vernon for the afternoon.  Have a great time.  BTW, Windfinder.com is a great resource for wind forecasts world wide.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:32 AM »

Chris,

I actually got there about 10:45 AM.

What a day!  The wind was strong all day and Yaz and I covered about 20 miles. We sailed almost to Mystic Seaport and back to Westerly. Also made a few loops around the large sand bars.

Interesting was when low tide came, we were able to walk about 1/4 mile out into the bay. Yaz was running in 12" of water like a nutcase.

We also cruised by the big Yachts all tied up together partying.  People were smiling and laughing at Yaz with his lifejacket and new DX Engr hat. They were taking pictures of the kayak/sail and outriggers as we went by. What a PW rig we had compared to them. With the sail full of wind and paddling, it looked like a Hawaiian boat.  The waves got pretty big later on and often crashed over the bow, but it is self-bailing with the venturi holes.

I cruised by Stonington Point where you operate mobile. Lots of cars parked there Sunday.

Super day, OM.

T

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »

My brother in law was here during the winter talking about a quantum proton level addressable system which means as I understood him, that with a system like this there would never be a situation where you would run out of addresses to send data to anyone on the planet. I guess all the worlds inhabitants would have a data address without fear of running out of a numerically generated address. I wish I knew more about it?

The quantum correlations of the transmitted photons with its partner are sufficiently high to violate Bell’s inequality and are also used to generate a quantum cryptographic key.

I love sexy talk like this??

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »

From  http://www.quantum.at/research/quantum-teleportation-communication-entanglement/entangled-photons-over-144-km.html   

Here we report a significant step towards satellite based quantum communication by transmitting an entangled photon over a distance of 144 km between the Canary Islands of La Palma and Tenerife via an optical free-space link. The transmitted photon was received in the Optical Ground Station of the European Space Agency, and the entangled partner photon was detected locally at the transmitter. We have succeeded in establishing quantum correlations under experimental constraints and conditions characteristic for a Space-to-ground experiment. This includes link efficiency requiring a high flux entangled photon source, atmospheric effects, active controlled compact transmitting telescope and an optical Space receiving telescope. The quantum correlations of the transmitted photons with its partner are sufficiently high to violate Bell’s inequality and are also used to generate a quantum cryptographic key. This distance exceeds all previous tests by more than one order of magnitude. The experiment fully exploits the distance limits for ground-based free-space communication, significantly longer distances can only be reached using air- or space-based platforms.

Possibly has applications here ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

What? Me worry?
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:46 PM »

Someone just sent Diane this link that helps dummies like me understand what they mean by entanglement in quantum mechanics - fun and thought provoking little cartoon...they get the phenomenon of entanglement towards the end of the clip.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4096579/dr_quantum_double_slit_experiment_entanglement/

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 12:40:59 AM »

Bell is NOT going to be happy about having his inequality violated, let me tell you!   Wink

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015