The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:28:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pull up a chair and tell me what to do...the saga of an AM Newbie ver. 1.0  (Read 16136 times)
N6YW
Contributing

« on: July 13, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »

And here we go...
I am getting ready to gut the station and retrofit what has been both useful and the bane of my radio operating position for nearly 10 years. Granted, a postage stamp sized lot in the Venice Canals offers one a chance at both creativity and being fitted with a straight jacket. Fortunately, the latter hasn't occurred...yet, hence this post. You all wouldn't want to see a newly minted AM'er needlessly walk the gangplank into the murky waters of RF purgatory without a net would ya?  Smiley

The Shack:
A converted garage. This also serves as the workshop and laundry room/man cave. Hey, a guy has to have a place to call home right? It has actually served me well. I have actually had Jackson Browne and Ry Cooder in here and they both felt right at home...must have been that plastic blow up Moose Head hanging above the bench.
Like many, this space has been setup for work and utilizes metal lumber shelving. It has been great and allows retrofitting and limited expansion but as I have gotten older I now realize it's ugly as hell.
In comes some custom made Ham Radio furniture from the estate of a SK, K6DGN. Finished in a pleasing blue/grey laminate with oak trim and has been built with BA's in mind. All of the rear apron access was built in and feature a gentle 15 degree angled inset to allow the gear to face up to the operator. I also have the benefit of the gear that came with it, more on that later.
This will allow me to wire up the equipment exactly as I want it, and move it around with ease. Also, the ground buss and electrical system is right where it needs to be. Ample shelf space is also provided with matching shelving that sits above AND below (built in) to allow me to accommodate lot's of ancillary goodies. Desk number one is for the big rigs and measures approx. 8 ft wide and 3 ft. deep, and desk number 2 is approx. 6 ft. wide and 24" inches deep. Both feature a front mounted hinged table rest that folds down. Built like a tank using 1" tubular steel reinforcement underneath to allow even the heaviest gear to be placed into operation without the slightest hint of sag.

The Gear:
The Sideband Station consists of the KWM-2, 30S-1, Central Electronics 20A lineup/RME 4350, and the 75A-4/KWS-1 package. This will likely live on the smaller desk but isn't written in stone.
The AM Station will consist of two packages. The Collins R-390/Johnson Viking II, and the Hammarlund SP-600 JX-17/Hallicrafters HT-37. The 390 & 600 represent the best receivers I own, but I also have the following: National NC-183, Hallicrafters SX-99, SX-101, Hammarlund HQ 129X, 140XA, and HQ-170C. At this point, there is a possibility that a Johnson Thunderbolt amplifier may be in the mix as well.

So, here is my question to you sage AM-aliers. If you were equipped thusly, what would be your approach to setup? Audio processing aside (I have a plethora of mics and outboard gear) I am mostly interested in connectivity options and preferences among individuals. Being that we are all gear heads, having more than one setup leaves open a whole range of options. This includes relays, rx/tx switching or routing and amplifier interface.
Maybe point me to some of the discussions previously posted that address this topic, or let's chat here over a cold 807. At any rate, I look forward to any comments.
The dawning of a new shack layout is both exhilarating and daunting and if it's worth doing once, it's worth doing right.
Thanks in advance,
Billy N6YW

"Life is too short for QRP"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »

Grasshopper
Step1: Get a large rack 6 or 7 feet
2. Get a big tube
3. get a big power transformer
4. build big rig. You can start with an afterburner on the Viking 2
then maybe build a modulator
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »

Reception quality is the other half of the AM transaction.

Both your R390 and the SP600 have the best audio quality off their diode output connections.

Consider using them into your house audio system, either through a channel on your mixing console or a separate receive path to your best loudspeakers in the man-cave.  You won't regret taking the time.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:34:14 PM »

You could build up a box with relays etc such that you could run any xmitter with any receiver.  However that ends up being complex enough that it starts to present problems of its own.  Some receivers switch to standby on an open, others on a closed, circuit.

Be aware that with AM the duty cycle and fully modulated power level will stress marginal antenna components such as tuners, coax, traps, baluns, etc., like nothing else.  As an example, just running 130 watts AM into my Cushcraft R-7 heated the toroid balun to the point it melted the solder connections on the matching network.  Build accordingly.

As Paul VJB said, the best audio from most receivers is attained by taking the audio from the diode of the receiver and running it to an external amp and decent speaker(s). 

You need a scope to view your output signal.  Running AM without one is running blind.  It shows any distortion, parasitics, overmodulation, etc., that would make you a bad citizen on the air and cause hate/discontent with our slopbucket colleagues.  They tend to accuse us of splatter anyway, but it pays to keep as clean a signal as you can.  Don't bother with a HO-10 or one of those other silly hammy signal monitors, unless you already have one.  Your bench scope (or a cheap hamfest score) will work fine.

An equipment rack is a good addition, and not just for building a transmitter!  It could hold the R-390/SP-600, provide space for more cool rack mounted receivers, your scope, and all the other ancillary equipment that tends to accumulate.

A single power shutoff to all equipment is important also.  This gear is getting old, and I've seen line bypass caps blow to smithereens with the radio just being plugged in.  Last thing you want is a fire caused by your old gear when you're not there.  Pull the switch and never leave the gear on and unattended.

Something else to consider is your grounding system.  Do up a good star grounding system and track down/correct any ground loops.  Because AM is easy to detect with inadvertent PN junctions, RF feedback is more apparent than with SSB so invest a bit of time in engineering it right the first time.

For T/R switching many of us use a minibox with a toggle switch and/or a stomp-to-talk switch.  Unfortunately the toggle switch seems to begat old buzzard transmissions, but hey that's part of the fun! Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »

Precision rectifier blows away a diode detector. I found some Cubic modules for the R2411 and R3050 and modified them to work in a R3030. a bit of AGC work and they sound great even with QIX modulation.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »

For T/R switching many of us use a minibox with a toggle switch and/or a stomp-to-talk switch.

Having worked through this particular project recently, I can offer some hints from my choices.

Basically, I wanted to add some flexibility to the mic/transmitter/switch mix since I also run several different stations. Having dedicated mics and/or processing for each station is fine if you have the space and know exactly what you want. Just starting to test the outboard distortion processing waters made flexibility a must.

So I started with a stomp-to-talk switch given to me by 'JN. Handy as hell since it leaves your hands free to write, fiddle with knobs, etc.

Added a small aluminum project box and a couple of quarter inch stereo jacks. Hardwired the switch to the box since it's the one constant. I then used one jack for mic/processing input, the other for PTT/audio output to transmitter. This allows me to run a mic directly into the box or to a processor/preamp, then the box. You can make up how ever many pigtails you need with plugs from box to transmitters. Depending how the -37 and VKII are wired, you might be able to use one cable (they use the same plug IIRC). I'm able to do this with 2 of my stations.

It's a great way to increase the utility of your equipment over several stations. I'm currently set up with a JoeMeek 3Q pre for an RCA-77D ribbon into the big rig, but I can easily plug in a plain jane crystal D-104 or anything else by using the ubiquitous 1/4" stereo plug. Even if you only require a 2 wire connection, the stereo offers extra capability while also allowing for 2 wire. A win/win situation.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »

A couple of desktop 36" or so tall racks with a 1-2 sturdy shelves between them can handle a lot of gear as long as the desk/table is capable. The main TX and RX sit on the desk. Another floor 6-7' rack  can handle all sorts of amp stuff, tuners, patch panels, 5" monitor scopes, etc. Think vertical as long as its convenient to reach.

I still havent figured out all the switching so dont even bother, its easier to have gear on 2 benches and just go to a different rig per band Wink Only 160, 75 and 40 really need soup so there are 2 amps that are fairly easily switched if needed. Or I just go to the modern gear bench and use the opened up TS-950SD and LK-500ZC which gets great AM reports at 350-400W carrier.

Carl
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

I'm on a 50 x 100 foot lot.  so don't give up on your confined space.  

I'll mention a few things a litte removed from station considerations:  Plan on eventually setting up some kind of workshop.   tables, tools, parts, test equipment...

Start keeping a lookout for books that address vacuum tube technology not found in modern texts:   ARRL handbooks up to around 1957, Bill Orr handbooks  up to early 1960s, Navy basic electronics instruction books (NavPers) for sailors learning to be techs up to the mid to late 1960s, get a subscription to Electric Radio and if possible buy the entire back run.  Maybe people haul old books to the TRW swapmeet.   I've gotten most of my books at hamfests.   Others can probably suggest other authors/titles.

I purchased a 1934 ARRL handbook at a hamfest recently; it had instructions on how to wind coils with copper tubing.  I purchased a 1941 Radio Handbook (Editors and Engineers) at same fest--it has a chapter in it on how to set up a workshop, workshop practice, what tools to buy, how to use them....this kind of stuff isn't in modern publications as far as I know.   I read about thermocouple amp meters and how to use them in (I think it was) the 1957 ARRL handbook.  All this in just the past week.

In an issue of ER (2005?) Don KYV (on this board) has a great article on a good and fairly simple T/R sequencing circuit of his design.  I have not built it yet so I can't discuss it as a user but I think it will answer your needs.  Maybe you can get a copy from him.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »

Some really great responses here and I thank you very very much.
With the exception of the NAVPERS books, I have a very well stocked library that includes all of the Bill Orr books, including the Radio Handbook (2). I also have just about every printed issue of QST from the late 40's through today, with 1955 through 1968 being leather bound. The ARRL Radio Amateur Handbooks from 1937 through today, spaced apart every 5-7 years. That covers the changes in technology pretty well. The reference books from RCA, RCGB, General Electric and the NFPA (National Electric Code) are in stock as well.  I read this stuff like most guys read Playboy...my wife worries about me being over exposed! Wink
I am in the electronics repair business, so the shop is pretty much a happening setup, although I wish I had a really good service monitor, $$$$$.
Starting simple seems the best way to go, but in the meanwhile working out a master plan for my ultimate setup will take time. I have a boatload of parts I have scavenged over the years including lot's of iron.
Your collective nuggets of wisdom are appreciated. This is really starting to gel and the excitement rises by the day as "Carmageddon" approaches. Being home bound this weekend will find me ripping apart the shack and preparing for the install. BTW, I installed a 240 V single phase branch circuit here in the shop years ago, that includes a mains disconnect, a 30A Two Pole, and 2-20A single pole breakers. The Ampacity of the system is rated at 60 amps. Good enough.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »

If you find an old motorola service monitor with a bad CRT check Tucker Electronics. We just had a HP8566B converted to an LCD display that turned out very nice
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »

Best deal in a service monitor is one of the HP CDMA service monitors that also does analog.  You can score a HP 8935/E6380A/E6381A for a little over a grand.  Does anything you'll ever need 400 KHz- 1GHz (actually it covers below 400KHz, but that's where the specs are good to).  Tracking genny, spec an, audio gen, audio distortion analyzer, AM/FM/SSB receiver, various programmable audio filters, simultaneous AM/FM generator modulation, etc.  An extraordinarily useful piece of gear, and much better made than the often more expensive IFR or Motorola service monitors.  Add a directional coupler and it's the cat's ass for checking antenna resonance, tuning L/C networks, checking coax, etc.

Here's one that went for $750 on eBay recently http://cgi.ebay.com/Agilent-E6380A-CDMA-Base-Station-Test-Set100Mhz-1Ghz-/280704333109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b483535

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »

Oh hell yes, now we're talking! Cool
Thanks!

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 11:56:05 PM »

Ah, forgot to mention there is a downside to that analyzer.  Its narrowest receiver filter is 30 KHz, but it's one of those standard three-legged 10.7 MHz xtal filters so you can easily change it to a 15 KHz or whatever you can dig up.  I haven't done that so I'm not sure if it messes up the calibration tables. 

The spec analyzer in it isn't great, but it's still very useful.  The min RBW is 300 Hz - still better than most IFRs or Motorolas but you can't closely examine an AM signal for IMD etc with that wide of a RBW.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 02:35:53 AM »

The spec analyzer in it isn't great, but it's still very useful.  The min RBW is 300 Hz - still better than most IFRs or Motorolas

Yup.  Does as much as a $6K used IFR COM-120B. Cheesy

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

For that amount of money, it would be a great tool to leave in the rack and still be able to use for other projects in the shack. I have a friend who is in the used test gear business. He may be able to find me
a killer deal on one. I remember when my friend Joe WB6BJM finally grew tired of his Gertsch and bought an IFR 6000 or 8000, something like that...TEN GRAND! He didn't bat an eye. He is in the communication business so it was a justifiable investment. Owning and maintaining two repeaters requires that you have some good gear, especially in a testy RF environment like LA.
Am I the only one here that doesn't trust old test gear? My reasoning is simple. How do you really know that it is accurate and at what point do you trust the calibration? I trust my TEK 475 scope but the old old stuff is just, old. I would prefer to err on the side of newer is better when it comes to settling on test gear.

kb5zxm
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:02 PM »

Does he still have the Gertsch ?
kb5zxm
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »

A word from a Olde Crip about rack mounts>>> I made mine from a GE 6 ft cabinet, put big casters on the bottom, so I could get to both side with out help from GKids
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »

Does he still have the Gertsch ?

I just called Joe, and I was wrong about the Gertsch. He has a Singer complete with all docs and the case. He said it may need a module and some TLC. Worth the effort? I don't know the model yet. Will advise.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »

Consider 6-7' racks to mount stuff in from both directions and have it between 2 benches. A couple of amps, common PS, modulator and some switching. Use table rack cabinets and shelves between them on the bench for more TX, RX and other goodies.

Looking at some station photos where everything is in one long line along a wall (or more) makes no sense IMO. Go vertical.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »

I am planning to do both with a rack to house stuff. I plan to use locking style casters for all platforms.
Here is the service monitor I am going to look at today...

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

On racks with casters:  Think twice about placing wheels under the edges of a top-heavy rack. 

One quick stop, and over it can go.  I know, a triple wide did just that on me back in '75 when it hit a mic cord on the floor, and I went to the hospital for a ruptured disc.  Being alone in a soundproof studio added to the excitement as well... Tongue

The safe way is to take a couple pieces of 3/8" X 4" flat steel about 8" longer than the rack is deep, and outboard the casters just in front and behind.  Looks FB and very buzzardly.

Also, if you have a fixed cabinet, ex-server slides are great & cheap additions as you can just pull it out, tweak, and slide it back.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »

What do you guys think of this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-8924C-100Watts-Service-Monitor-Agilent-/250854324888?pt=BI_Analyzers&hash=item3a68153a98

Or, this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-R2200B-Communications-Service-Monitor-/160619072388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2565a48b84

WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:19 PM »

I used that Motorola. Usually the scope tube craps out and it can't be replaced. It worked ok.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »

The 8924C with the 100W dummy load is identical to the much more expensive 8920B service monitor, with added CDMA and AMPS cellular capability. 

I like the form factor of the 8935/E6380A better, but either one will do ya fine.  The tracking generator in particular is hugely useful.  And it's HP quality instead of iffy IFR junk.  The Motorolas don't have near the features and as Frank mentioned the CRTs tend to go dim.  I have an older Motorola 2600 on my bench at work, salvaged from the trash heap (the input fuse was blown) and my personal 8935 blows it away 9 ways to sunday in features, ease of use, and performance.

N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »

I picked up the Singer Gertsch FM-10CS Frequency meter, Generator and Spectrum Analyzer.
It's free, comes with all of the manuals, and flight case. It powers up, produces signal but it seems a little deaf. There are numerous plug in modules for this thing. It's a start! Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015