The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:42:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from a new member, N6YW.  (Read 16807 times)
N6YW
Contributing

« on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »

Greetings to all here.
My name is Billy and I live in Venice Ca.
I am an avid aficionado of all things radio, but most importantly anything weighing over 25 lbs.
My profession is wide ranging, but it focuses on music and repair. I operate a small business at home restoring, repairing and building vacuum tube guitar amplifiers. This also includes repairing linear amplifiers and vintage radio equipment. I have a long lasting love for all of the finer gear made in
yesteryear, specifically Collins, Hallicrafters, Hammarlund, National and Johnson to name a few.
I just recently joined the official roll of AMI, and am a regular participant on the West Coast Friday
Night Collins Collectors Net on 3.895 Megacycles.
I recently got hit with the AM bug, and seeing how I already have the gear I might as well use it.
I am also the net manager for the WARFA Net which meets every Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday nights at 8:00 PM on 3908 Megacycles.
Aside from having a KWM-2A, 30S-1, I also have a nice set of Gold Dust Twins and a rather happening R-390. My AM rig will likely be the 390 or the SP-600 JX-17 and the Johnson Viking II and Hallicrafters HT-37. Both need audio modifications before being brought on air. There are other goodies off to the side awaiting RF deployment, such as the Central Electronics 20A, VFO and Scope, a Harvey Wells Bandmaster T-50 and a "Goonybird MK III. I have numerous receivers that await my soldering iron but one of my finest pieces is one that I recently brought back to life after decades of non use, a Lovely National NC-100XA that I converted from Battery/Vibrator only, to a common shore power type supply. What a beauty too, arguably one of the most interesting of the early National models and certainly an uncommon one at that.
Now that I got most of this out of the way, I figured I might as well tell you that I am a long time
professional guitarist and recording artist, with a back ground in audio engineering and a former owner of 3 recording studios. At the age of 50, I am well versed with road stories to say the least, not to mention a few RF burns here and there.
I look forward to meeting and conversing here on this forum, it looks like a real kick in the pants.
73 de Billy, N6YW

"Life is too short for QRP"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

Welcome to OUR forums for all things AM!  You'll find a great bunch of people here in our AM family Billy.  I look forward to your participation.   I am really green but have been enjoying the wholesome AM hobby now for since 2008 (transmitting that is, receiving of course goes back to my early years).  The knowledge found on this site is staggering.  The people become like family.  I also look forward to working you on the air sometime.

John KX5jT

AMI#1684
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:55:02 AM »

Welcome!

Bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:24:54 AM »

Welcome aboard, Billy. This is a fine bunch of miscreants. And like John said, we are a big family. We are not afraid to take a poke at each other and do it often. We all look out for each other and try to help each other out. There is a VAST pool of knowledge on tap here. Dont be afraid to tap it if you need to!! (That pool goes far beyond radio!!)

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »

Hi Billy and welcome to AMfone.  For me, this is the best site around for many of the things that you have a passion for.  The knowledge of the folks on this site will solve any problem you have, well at least in the vintage radio department! 

Congratulations on having acquired some great gear.  I am over hear on the East Coast, but it would be fun to chat sometime on 20 Meters with one of your vintage restored pieces. 

Your experience and background sound diverse and I am sure you will enjoy participating in some of the "threads". 

Best Wishes,

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »

Welcome, Billy. This is the place to be for your AM affliction.  Grin  You won't find a more knowledgeable, helpful group of folks than the AM community. And AMfone along with the AMWindow are two of the best tools to have at your disposal. Perhaps the best for enhancing your on-air experience.

Take your time, read a lot, and ask a lot of questions before you start laying out a lot of cash for equipment. The folks here will save you time and expense in many cases, as well as help you out with the problems that arise later. You'll find a wealth of information in the Tech section going back many years.

And of course - keep us aprised of your progress. As with the video posted by W7TFO, we really enjoy seeing as well as hearing what others in the community are doing.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:22:47 PM »

Welcome Billy,
How the heck did you get up an 80 meter antenna in Venice?
I lived out that way in the '80s and visit now and then. I like to hit Gladstones
on RT1 when I go out there.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »

Smiley Thanks for the welcome Smiley
I appreciate this very much and I will take advantage of the knowledge wealth found here.
As to my antenna in Venice, well it's a compromise but it's all I can do for the time being.
I use a modified Butternut HF6V, with beefier door knobs and a better DC coil. It is ground plane mounted at 16 feet on the second story of our roof, which is 16 feet square. I ran 64 lineal feet
of #12 THHN around the circumference, and ran one leg from each corner to the ground connection of the antenna. The Venice Canals makes a wonderful counterpoise Smiley
I will also contribute my experiences as well. It's a pleasure to be here.
Smiley

N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »

Welcome, Billy. This is the place to be for your AM affliction.  Grin  You won't find a more knowledgeable, helpful group of folks than the AM community. And AMfone along with the AMWindow are two of the best tools to have at your disposal. Perhaps the best for enhancing your on-air experience.

Take your time, read a lot, and ask a lot of questions before you start laying out a lot of cash for equipment. The folks here will save you time and expense in many cases, as well as help you out with the problems that arise later. You'll find a wealth of information in the Tech section going back many years.

And of course - keep us aprised of your progress. As with the video posted by W7TFO, we really enjoy seeing as well as hearing what others in the community are doing.
Todd...
Thank you as well. When the time comes, I will gladly post some video of my work. I have a pretty well equipped shop and I don't mind sharing in my expertise. One of the more easy and fun projects I have developed is buying and rendering the cheap Chinese condenser microphones into high performance studio quality tube types that sound as good as units made in Germany and Austria for a fraction of the cost. That is a real kick and those of you out there who yearn for a down and easy project that is fulfilling and fun, you can't beat it especially when it comes to dollar investment and WEIGHT!!! This is going to be a fun place for me indeed.
Thanks again.

KD0HUX

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »

Grin WELCOME I AM SURE YOU WILL HAVE A LOT 2 CONTRIBUTE  2 THE AM FAMILY  Cool
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »

Welcome Billy
And amazing things happen in Winter when the lower bands go long and I hope you we will drift your way on 160M or 40M
so do not worry about compromise antennas.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »

Aloha, Billy, from the Barricaded Gorge & Clutter known as AMfone.net.

Expertise & opinions abound, and sorting it all out is half the fun.

Treasure your vintage BA's, 'taint makin' 'em anymore!

Consider yourself one of the few 'Westies' helping balance out all the OM's on the East coast.

Welcome, welcome.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »

Billy,
Welcome to the AMFone forum.  I echo everyone here on the knowledge base and say this is one of the best ham radio forums as well and it's a fun place to be.  Looking forward to your input.  Again. Welcome. 
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 05:24:39 PM »

Welcome aboard mate!
Fred k2dx

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »

Welcome Billy. Good job with your vertical/counterpoise.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »

Welcome Billy. Good job with your vertical/counterpoise.
I work long skip pretty well with this arrangement too. When 75 is open, I regularly work the East Coast and the Pacific Rim. 40 meters rocks with this antenna too, but 15 & 10 get owned with it using just 100 watts. I was thinking of adding a switched horizontal element that would allow me to tinker with 160, but that's for another thread. Wink

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »

Welcome! There's a lot of things going on here!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »

Congratulations on some ingenuity in getting an antenna like that up in Venice.  I visited Venice once.   It is a cool place but probably tough for a low band ham.   There's some AM action down your way--I remember when I was in Palo Alto on business last fall I had a little sw rx with me and heard at least one big AM sig on 75 meters from so cal.  He was calling CQ with no takers.  Maybe you'll give him someone to talk to  Cheesy   Let's see....Need Six Yummy Whiskeys.  Well anyway, 73 and GL

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »

Congratulations on some ingenuity in getting an antenna like that up in Venice.  I visited Venice once.   It is a cool place but probably tough for a low band ham.   There's some AM action down your way--I remember when I was in Palo Alto on business last fall I had a little sw rx with me and heard at least one big AM sig on 75 meters from so cal.  He was calling CQ with no takers.  Maybe you'll give him someone to talk to  Cheesy   Let's see....Need Six Yummy Whiskeys.  Well anyway, 73 and GL

Rob
Yes Rob, there are a number of really great AMer's out here on the West Coast. I plan on checking into the Wednesday night AM net tomorrow. I am just getting a grasp on the multitude and depth of the material here on this forum...it's HUGE! I feel a little weird using my Icom IC-7000 and 30S-1 in AM mode on these nets, but people tell me I sound awesome. I guess it's a good platform to use until I finish the first phase of my BA setup. I had mentioned that I plan on using my Viking II and R-390 as a first setup, but I just found out that I might be getting a Johnson Thunderbolt to add to it. Does that sound sick or what? Smiley
Need 6 Young Women.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »

I feel a little weird using my Icom IC-7000 and 30S-1 in AM mode on these nets, but people tell me I sound awesome. I guess it's a good platform to use until I finish the first phase of my BA setup. I had mentioned that I plan on using my Viking II and R-390 as a first setup, but I just found out that I might be getting a Johnson Thunderbolt to add to it. Does that sound sick or what? Smiley
Need 6 Young Women.

Welcome to AMFone, Billy!

So long as it's AM, it's all good - run what ya brung  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 08:52:34 AM »

Billy, How is the TRW flea market these days. I missed it by a day last summer. I wonder if it is in the same location and has the same name?
It used to be the last Saturday of the month. When I moved back to Ct. I hauled 8 boxes of parts from the flea.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »

Sounds like you have a great start with all that gear, experience and positive attitude, Billy. Welcome aboard!

Your post reminds me of an old story....

One day an old man watched a young man walking by with a knapsack. He axed him where he was going. The young man said he was moving to Newville on the other side of the mountain and then axed the old man how the people were there. The OM axed him how he liked his old village. He said he hated it, so was moving on. The old man told him, "You will hate it in Newville."

Later, another young man came by with a knapsack in the same situation. He axed the old man how the people were in Newville. The old man axed him how he liked his old village. He replied, "I loved it there!"   The old man said, "You will love Newville!"

Ham radio and AM are what we make it.  You will love AM!  Have a fun journey, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »

Billy, How is the TRW flea market these days. I missed it by a day last summer. I wonder if it is in the same location and has the same name?
It used to be the last Saturday of the month. When I moved back to Ct. I hauled 8 boxes of parts from the flea.
TRW can be fun but at the same time, a garbage heap of computer junk and items not even associated with Amateur Radio. On one hand I can see why they allow such activity, as it adds more money to the scene, which Manhattan Beach gets a 15% cut in the action...legal mob action there.
Sometimes, it's really good. Some of the usual radio faces show up with their little mini hand trucks and pockets full of $1 dollar bills looking for a deal. "How much for that Collins KWM-2? Uh, that would be $500, without power supply". Errr, would you take $50 bucks for it? Smiley
I love it. I never knew so many people from 3rd world countries who don't speak English, hold valid US Amateur Radio licenses, (It is a requirement to have a valid US license in order to sell at the meet) and they show up in rental vans chock full of computers and cheap tools made in China. You get my point, so many people look the other way while these people make huge jack off the junk they peddle. It also illustrates that Ham Radio has been in decline in SoCal for a while, HOWEVER...with that comes some amazing equipment being released to the public by individuals who no longer have interest in the hobby, or through SK sale.
I still lose sleep the night before. Last Saturday of every month, rain or shine and still one of the largest swap meets in the US. It's a great place to meet old friends for a cup of Joe and talk Ham Radio, and sometimes you find that elusive part you've been looking for, for the giant sum of .50 cents. One day, I cleaned out my garage of stuff I no longer needed or wanted. I made the trip to TRW and sold out in 2 hours. I made $3300.00 dollars. For a moment, I got a taste of being paid like a high profile attorney, the only difference being I sold a bunch of junk.
It was great, except for when I attempted to leave, one of the Barney Fife TRW Radio Club minions complete with orange vest & attitude informed me I couldn't leave the property until 11:30. I informed him of my constitutional rights and proceeded through the gate without incident...his ears were ringing with a well placed expletive laden salvo that surely reminded him that he was just a guy wearing an orange vest desperately in need of a life...welcome to Los Angeles.
Thanks for allowing my digits to elaborate folks, I couldn't resist.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »

I made the trip to TRW and sold out in 2 hours. I made $3300.00 dollars. For a moment, I got a taste of being paid like a high profile attorney, the only difference being I sold a bunch of junk.

That's really not so much different than many high profile attorneys, Billy. Wink

If you get a chance to come back east in spring or fall, see if you can schedule it around the twice-yearly NEAR-Fest event in NH. It's a great 'fest full of good stuff with minimal junk.

One of the more easy and fun projects I have developed is buying and rendering the cheap Chinese condenser microphones into high performance studio quality tube types that sound as good as units made in Germany and Austria for a fraction of the cost. That is a real kick and those of you out there who yearn for a down and easy project that is fulfilling and fun, you can't beat it especially when it comes to dollar investment and WEIGHT!!! This is going to be a fun place for me indeed.

Feel free to post any of those projects or other tips to the Tech or Handbook sections, too. As Johnny says, so long as it pertains to or can be used in the pursuit of improving the AM experience, we'd love to have you share it here.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

I made the trip to TRW and sold out in 2 hours. I made $3300.00 dollars. For a moment, I got a taste of being paid like a high profile attorney, the only difference being I sold a bunch of junk.

That's really not so much different than many high profile attorneys, Billy. Wink

If you get a chance to come back east in spring or fall, see if you can schedule it around the twice-yearly NEAR-Fest event in NH. It's a great 'fest full of good stuff with minimal junk.

One of the more easy and fun projects I have developed is buying and rendering the cheap Chinese condenser microphones into high performance studio quality tube types that sound as good as units made in Germany and Austria for a fraction of the cost. That is a real kick and those of you out there who yearn for a down and easy project that is fulfilling and fun, you can't beat it especially when it comes to dollar investment and WEIGHT!!! This is going to be a fun place for me indeed.

Feel free to post any of those projects or other tips to the Tech or Handbook sections, too. As Johnny says, so long as it pertains to or can be used in the pursuit of improving the AM experience, we'd love to have you share it here.

I will do that. Some day, when the chance arrives, I plan to make the journey to Newington and operate W1AW. Perhaps I could plan that around a Fest date. I have family in New Jersey, so that would make an excellent side trip.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015