The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New call  (Read 6073 times)
WC1X
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a new call, W6KHZ (vice WC1X).  I got tired of explaining to people that the band was not open to the east coast and that I am actually located in California.  Now all I have to do is lose my Boston (Baw-stin) accent...
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:55:58 AM »

Now some people would have turned that situation into a bit of fun, but I guess it would eventually be tiring.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 07:15:01 AM »

Marc - so you are from Woonsocket, eh?  Your old Novice license address on Grove Street is less than two blocks from where my XYL, Diane (Celentano) Bowne, grew up at 282 Park Ave.  She graduated from St Clare Academy down the block from there in 1972.  I mentioned your name and it sounded familiar to her.  The French side of her family are Gagnons, but as far as we know, not closely related to Dale and Dean, KW1I and KK1K.  Not sure if we have worked on AM, but I may have worked you on CW when you were DX.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »

Errr, back in MY day, sonny,
I had to change my call when I changed call districts.
IT WAS THE LAW, brrrrr, kids these days with their vanity calls, I shust dern't knewrl.

nee WN4DKG

WC1X
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »

Kids?  I was first licensed in 1974 as WN1STW
Errr, back in MY day, sonny,
I had to change my call when I changed call districts.
IT WAS THE LAW, brrrrr, kids these days with their vanity calls, I shust dern't knewrl.

nee WN4DKG

WC1X
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 02:10:56 PM »

Marc - so you are from Woonsocket, eh?  Your old Novice license address on Grove Street is less than two blocks from where my XYL, Diane (Celentano) Bowne, grew up at 282 Park Ave.  She graduated from St Clare Academy down the block from there in 1972.  I mentioned your name and it sounded familiar to her.  The French side of her family are Gagnons, but as far as we know, not closely related to Dale and Dean, KW1I and KK1K.  Not sure if we have worked on AM, but I may have worked you on CW when you were DX.

Yes I also graduated from St. Clare acadamy way back in the early 70's.  Back in those days about 70% of the population of Woonsocket had French Canadien surnames. 

I was on the air overseas as M0VAO,  4Z8BB and DA1MC.  I also spent some time operating from South Africa when I was there for 3 months.  Most of the time I was on RTTY although I did chat with a number of hams in France on 80m A.M. when I was living in England and Germany.

* code.jpg (28.15 KB, 400x295 - viewed 383 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

Let me know if you want to change your username to your new call... and congrats!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WC1X
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

Let me know if you want to change your username to your new call... and congrats!

Yes please!

Thanks
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »

Congrats on new call.  Let's see...Want Six Keen Huge Zipguns.
Hmmm, tough call.  Like K5UJ.  Nothing rolls of the tongue.

When I call CQ I usually say "near Chicago" to not disappoint anyone.

I used to get a bit of flack about not getting a 9 call, but that hasn't happened in a long time.   I have had this call 34 years.  I occasionally consider changing but that lasts about 10 seconds.  Part of it is the vanity call sign nightmare which I have never had to deal with.  So I stick with my call sign partly as a protest of the current state of affairs in call sign management.  I used to tell people who whined about it that I'd get a 9 call if FCC reversed everything and went back to the way things were done around 1975:  20 year wait for 1x2, FCC systematically assigns all calls, 2 year wait to get Extra test, FCC proctors exams...

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 10:51:59 PM »

When I call CQ I usually say "near Chicago" to not disappoint anyone.

I used to get a bit of flack about not getting a 9 call, but that hasn't happened in a long time.   I have had this call 34 years.  I occasionally consider changing but that lasts about 10 seconds.  Part of it is the vanity call sign nightmare which I have never had to deal with.  So I stick with my call sign partly as a protest of the current state of affairs in call sign management.  I used to tell people who whined about it that I'd get a 9 call if FCC reversed everything and went back to the way things were done around 1975:  20 year wait for 1x2, FCC systematically assigns all calls, 2 year wait to get Extra test, FCC proctors exams...

Rob, if it were still that way, you wouldn't have many people to actually talk too on the radio.

AMI#1684
WC1X
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »

Dunno; I think W6 Kilohertz rolls off pretty well for W6KHZ...
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »

Dunno; I think W6 Kilohertz rolls off pretty well for W6KHZ...

It's not a real phonetic.  If your call were W6K it would be okay.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »

Rob, if it were still that way, you wouldn't have many people to actually talk too on the radio.

Quality not quantity  Cheesy

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »

......Now all I have to do is lose my Boston (Baw-stin) accent...

Hey, why bother?  Whitey Bulger never lost his "Southie" accent and no one in California noticed him for 15 years, even though he was on the F.B.I.'s MOST WANTED list and had a $2 million dollar reward on his head!

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »

They should just set him loose in Boston and see if he makes it out of town alive. It would save a lot of money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015