The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1952 LaPort/RCA Radio Antenna Engineering book  (Read 5813 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: July 08, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

The 'holy grail' text for those of us that engineer-out an antenna ahead of time...

Was big bux on the market, now a free download from Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_3/159000/159004/1/print/RadioAntennaEngineering-lulu.pdf

574 pages, warm up that printer!

Paperback available from them @ $15!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

Excellent publication.  Walt sent me a PDF which I downloaded and saved.  Then ran across an original paper edition for a reasonable price.  Pages a little yellow and some minor wear and tear, but nice to have the original book on hand. The reprint would be well worth the 15 bux.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
G3UUR

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:31:08 AM »

I agree, it's an excellent publication, particularly for people like me who know nothing about broadcast antennas. It's a great source of information and good for inspiration when you've got a nutty problem deciding what to do for 160m in a difficult location.

I picked up a copy of a 1972 reprint of LaPort back in the '80s. It was an international edition printed by Mei Ya Publications in Taiwan. These might be easier to find than the original version, but at $15 the paperback version currently on offer would seem to be a heck of a good buy.

Dave.

Dave,G3UUR
Vintage AM from the East of England
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »

For those of you interested in broadcast vertical arrays there was a book published in 1974 by TAB Books titled "Directional Broadcast Antennas: A Guide to Adjustment, Measurement, & Testing" by Jack Layton.  ISBN 0-8306-4733-3.

The antenna engineering handbook I have here is "Antenna Engineering Handbook" by Johnson and Jasik, 2nd edition.  McGraw-Hill publication.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »

I may be missing it but how are the free books found there?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »

Ed Laport was with RCA Canada, which was closely related to RCA of USA. He often visited the RCA Laboratories in Princeton, especially at the Antenna Lab where I was working as an engineer.

I became well acquainted with him, as he was a very friendly and extremely knowledgeable guy. I learned about his great book from him, and wasted no time in purchasing a copy.

I scanned the entire book several years ago, keeping a copy on my hard drive. I also burned several copies onto CDs, distributing them to friends who wanted copies.

If I could have only one book on antennas, Ed Laports "Radio Antenna Engineering" is the one I'd keep.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »

This book has been available on the Web for at least six years.

eBook version here:

http://www.athm.net/andreas/RadioAntennaEngineering-ebook/

Printer optimized version here:

http://www.athm.net/andreas/RadioAntennaEngineering-printer/

kg8lb
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

I would much rather deal with Lulu . Thanks anyhow.
W0BTU

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »

Thanks for sharing this. I've been looking at it on and off all afternoon, and there's info there that I have never seen anyplace else.

One example is the star radial ground system on page 51, Fig. 1.13. From the text, it looks like it has possibilities for people without a lot of real estate. Anybody have any idea how high (and long) that the "overground busses" have to be for low HF?

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015