The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:05:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KA1BWO Retiring and Moving West  (Read 21163 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »

Hi Joe,
Glad you got settled in so to speak.  The house and property along with the antenna looks great.  It appears to be working real well for you.  
I hope we have a chance to work on the air one of these days.  40M might be a good choice in the evening.  Then again with 75M going long at night that might work as well.  We usually go QRT by 10 PM Eastern or so since the alarm goes off around 6AM.  
Best wishes on your new place!
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »

Very Nice Joe!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

Why would anyone who lived in Connecticut retire to Idaho?  Especially Preston.  Three winters in Casper, WY taught me to hate shoveling snow.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »

Why would anyone who lived in Connecticut retire to Idaho?  Especially Preston.  Three winters in Casper, WY taught me to hate shoveling snow.

Potatoes!

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 07:57:42 AM »

Nice QTH!! Joe.
The antennas have room to breathe and your 5000 foot elevation will help.
You're not quite a DX state like Bill, but into some beautiful country. Probably quiet and relaxing.

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 11:19:13 AM »

It took at least a  month for Margie and I to adjust to the thin air relative to sea level the elevation here is 5000 feet.
Joe    

Pretty cool move, Joe.   That was a major effort, and finally, you're settled in.

The mountains around you will have no ill effect on the signal for the HF bands since their apparant "blocking" angle is probably less than 5 degrees or so on the horizon. Your 160-10M signals will have cleared them way before.

Good luck with the tower plans.  For 75M, my suggestion would be to hang a boom and pair of inverted vees - feed them just like Tina/W1IA as a driven array. That will work really FB for both RX and TX.  If you have room in the right direction, add a terminated Beverage for RX to the east. Use the staggered HUZman technique if you are limited for space.  A few wooden posts is all you need for supports.

Another idea is to put up a full-size 40M ROTARY 2el Yagi. Big sig on 40M. Can you get the tower to 90' or so?   Then heavily load the Yagi at the center for 75M as a shortie 75M 2el Yagi. (Remote controlled switching) There are ways to do this and you would have a clean installation without wires hanging around. A 2el 40M Yagi is not THAT big.  Looks like the neighbors are far enuff away too... Grin  Something to think about over the winter.

OK on the 5K elevation.   When I lived out west it was the same thing. Coming home I felt like Superman for a few weeks.  The MMA fighters should train out there.

I haven't been radio-active since spring, but hope to get on 75M soon for coast to coast and catch you on.  

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W7POW

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »

Well, congrats on the retirement and the move out West.  I am in Western Oregon and hope we can work each other soon.  Welcome!  Give a listen some mornings on 3880 at 9:00 am.  We have a nice little group that gets together there daily.  You may be a little far but it is worth a try.

If you are into fly fishing, you live in a great location. Nice pics of the new QTH and really like the callsign.  As an avid fly fisherman myself when I see BWO I cant help but think Blue Winged Olive.

Chris
W7POW
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »

I worked Joe last evening on 3885. He was running an FT-101 at ~ 25 watts carrier and a solid Q5 over the mountains into my QTH from some 350 miles away. Not too shabby, Joe must be in a decent RF location.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »

His 101 always sounded good on AM.  Do some simple mod's to the audio and those rigs sound great.  Now he needs to run that into a big amp! 

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 07:21:01 AM »

Looks good, Joe.

How much LAND did you get?  I know you wanted some land available for towers, gardens, etc.

My younger son LOVES that part of the country, and almost went to college in North Dakota.

Get that antenna way up in the air  Wink   I'm sure we'll be talking with you this fall/winter.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2016, 11:37:14 PM »

Just spoke with Joe,  strapping signal into Cali fornee Uh!

Google him to see who I had spoken to,  and here it is.

Funny thing was,  he was in a qso,  talking about my Harris amplifier!   I was cleaning the shack and had to say hi lol.

Guess he's got a rf110.

--Shane
KD6VXI
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 09:44:36 AM »

Looks like lots of flat land. Allows the RF to propagate so nicely from the antenna. A good permanent antenna would be a dipole, no short cuts or loaded antenna, about 70 feet high. OR MORE!! How many acres do you own??

And DX could be using a support structure for the dipole for a tri-bander for 20 - 10 Meters.

And LEGAL Limit.....QRO!!

Fred KC4MOP
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 04:49:34 PM »

Holy smokes. 5 years since the move. time flies.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2016, 09:31:17 AM »

Holy smokes. 5 years since the move. time flies.

Good EYE....I was reamed pretty good here by resurrecting an old post "That was no longer relevant" to the group.

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015