The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a small power supply  (Read 4003 times)
W4RFM

« on: June 25, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »

I have done this countless time in the last 50 years, BUT here goes.  I have a simple little transformer to build a power supply for my VFO.  I found the center tap and grounded it, the two outer windings show 645 v AC on the meter.  When I connect one lead to a good diode (properly oriented), I get 105 volts D C!  What am I missing here?

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »

connect a small value (.1 ufd) 1 kv from the cathode to ground ... it should charge up to nearly 460 V, if I understand whatcher doin' .... this is only a test circuit, not a practical application .... 73...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
stevef
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:26 PM »

Doesn't it need a full wave rectifier if center-tap grounded?
W4RFM

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »

Steve, I think you've got something there, pardon my ignorance.  I wanted to draw this out, but have never been able to master posting pictures on this page.

Thanks
BM

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »

you need a filter after the rectifier. your meter is trying to integrate the 1/2 wave waveform coming out of the diode.
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »

Hi Bob,

I would go ahead a build the power supply - filter, bleeder, and all. If you are getting 645VAC on the secondary the transformer is apparently working. If you use a choke input filter, I would expect somewhere around 300-325VDC at the top of the bleeder, depending on the values of the chokes and the bleeder. You will get a higher DC voltage with a capacitor input filter.

Ron

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »

A choke input will deliver about .9 of the applied AC and be reasonably stable under a varying load with a good bleeder.

A capacitor input will deliver 1.414 of the AC but will drop with a load dependent on the input C value, the chioke and the bleeder. The output C will have little effect on voltage but a big effect on removing ripple.

Carl
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »

As an adder to the above, a choke input will look like a capacitor input unless the critical curent is drawn via a bleeder or other constant load -  it will deliver approx 1.414 x V until the critical current is drawn.

I critical is approx V out/L in MA if I remember correctly and often results in a hefty bleeder  - A 400 volt supply with a 10H choke would have a critical I of approx  40 MA

That is why swinging choke worked so well - they had high L at low currents
kb5zxm
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »

I have been saving old power supplies, from commercial FM stations for parts <mostly Micors,Motracs and GE Master II and Pro's,the Ge stuff seems to have less current ability>.
Recently a friend suggested looking at transformers from Micro wave ovens? They seem to be hefty.
Can't seem to throw any thing away, "One Mans junk is another Mans Junk"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015